innuos servers

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Attention Gazzip

I read that you brought one of these and like it.
As in also interested, would you mind giving me sort of review.

What you used before and how it compares etc. Which model you chose and why etc.

If you have time.
Thanks

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Attention Gazzip

I read that you brought one of these and like it. As in also interested, would you mind giving me sort of review.

What you used before and how it compares etc. Which model you chose and why etc.

If you have time. Thanks

Hi Andrew, Will come back to you on this later today. Currently I have my hands full with the kids!

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
Attention Gazzip

I read that you brought one of these and like it. As in also interested, would you mind giving me sort of review.

If you have time. Thanks

Hi Andrew, Will come back to you on this later today. Currently I have my hands full with the kids! 

Thats no excuse. Only joking
Will look forward to this
im watching gp now also.
enjoy your day

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
What was I using before?
A QNAP NAS via my home network, with tunes (FLAC) dished up to my DAC using a Moon MiND 180. What was wrong with it?Well, it played music very well, was completely stable, plenty quick enough and with a great user interface. It did however sound a little "flat" compared with my CDP, and a little research suggested that this might be down to the hardware and the way that the network was implemented. I have also been looking for a Spotify connect device over Ethernet and options were limited Why the Innuos?Well, the version I went for (Zenith) seemed to solve a number of the potential hardware and networking issues. 1 - It has an inbuilt two port gigabit switch. One port is to connected to the network which enables you to control it and a network player, the other port to a streamer. However, the two are electrically separated which isolates the player from any hash on the network. 2 - It has a very low noise USB output which can be used straight in to a DAC with the Zenith acting as a UPnP player, controllable from many available apps. 3 - It has a proper power supply and built in mains filter. 4 - It is solid state, plays FLAC from a pre-loaded memory and is quad core. It is therefore very fast with no artwork lag. 5 - It is solid state so is totally silent and it runs cool and boots up in 20 seconds. 6 - It runs Logitech Media Server as well as Asset UPnP, both of which are user configurable. 7 - It is a ripper NAS. 8 - Three boxes become one. 9 - The OS can also be controlled by a tablet. 10 - They offer a money back guarantee if you are not completely satisfied. 11 - They offer support better than any company I know. They will even remotely log in to your system to help if you are having problems. Try getting that from QNAP! 12 - It is 1/3 the price of the equivalent Melco. Has the sound quality improved?Yes. The life is now there in my FLAC files. Dynamics have improved and I can hear more than I could previously. A brilliant product.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
What was I using before? 

A QNAP NAS via my home network, with tunes (FLAC) dished up to my DAC using a Moon MiND 180.

What was wrong with it?
Well, it played music very well, was completely stable, plenty quick enough and with a great user interface. It did however sound a little "flat" compared with my CDP, and a little research suggested that this might be down to the hardware and the way that the network was implemented. I have also been looking for a Spotify connect device over Ethernet and options were limited

Why the Innuos?
Well, the version I went for (Zenith) seemed to solve a number of the potential hardware and networking issues. 

1 - It has an inbuilt two port gigabit switch. One port is to connected to the network which enables you to control it and a network player, the other port to a streamer. However, the two are electrically separated which isolates the player from any hash on the network.

2 - It has a very low noise USB output which can be used straight in to a DAC with the Zenith acting as a UPnP player, controllable from many available apps.

3 - It has a proper power supply and built in mains filter.

4 - It is solid state, plays FLAC from a pre-loaded memory and is quad core. It is therefore very fast with no artwork lag.

5 - It is solid state so is totally silent and it runs cool and boots up in 20 seconds.

6 - It runs Logitech Media Server as well as Asset UPnP, both of which are user configurable.

7 - It is a ripper NAS. 

8 - Three boxes become one.

9 - The OS can also be controlled by a tablet.

10 - They offer a money back guarantee if you are not completely satisfied.

11 - They offer support better than any company I know. They will even remotely log in to your system to help if you are having problems. Try getting that from QNAP!

12 - It is 1/3 the price of the equivalent Melco.

Has the sound quality improved?
Yes. The life is now there in my FLAC files. Dynamics have improved and I can hear more than I could previously. A brilliant product.

Thank you for that.
Did you compare to the other lower end models?

Can you tell it play all your music random?

Do you have to rip or can you purchase music files and store it in the hd? Like dsd?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I came from using Innuos' previous version of the Zen Mini. The reasons I originally went for the Zen Mini were:

get rid of all CD cases to gain space

flexibility of editing via my iPad

direct connection via USB to the DAC in my pre

Innuos' excellent support

I went for this after adding the Classe Sigma SSP AV pre to my system, which incorporates an excellent DAC, and with the ability to connect the Zen directly to the DAC in my pre, I didn't need to stream anything over my network. Having encountered differences in CD transports, this approach completely removes that influence.

Then the Zenith appears, with better power supplies, solid state storage, and all the other stuff Gazzip has already listed. The Zen Mini was quiet, but the Zenith is totally silent, which is good as the unit sits right behind me. I knew this would get me as close to a perfect digital source as possible for a reasonable amount of money. The old Zen Mini was good, and I was happy with it, but moving from that to the Zenith has been one of the best moves I've made. The difference between the Zenith and the current Zen can be quite clearly heard, which was the subject of a little event we held a few months back (playing through a Classe CP800/CA2300 and KEF Blade 2s). There is no harshness or brightness to the signal, just totally clean effortless music. The combination of the lack of noise and distortion of both the Zenith and the SSP makes for a great combination with inky black silences between music, which for me, just adds to the naturalness and transparency of the whole system. I've heard a few high end CD players in store, but I can't imagine them bringing anything else to my system over this. I've lost count of the amount of times I've heard new detail in music, even tracks I've known for decades.

I've always still felt that source is still important, even digital ones, and my experience with the Zenith just hammers that home for me. One of our customers is trying one out over the weekend - I'll report back on his decision.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Gazzip said:
What was I using before?

A QNAP NAS via my home network, with tunes (FLAC) dished up to my DAC using a Moon MiND 180. What was wrong with it? Well, it played music very well, was completely stable, plenty quick enough and with a great user interface. It did however sound a little "flat" compared with my CDP, and a little research suggested that this might be down to the hardware and the way that the network was implemented. I have also been looking for a Spotify connect device over Ethernet and options were limited Why the Innuos? Well, the version I went for (Zenith) seemed to solve a number of the potential hardware and networking issues. 1 - It has an inbuilt two port gigabit switch. One port is to connected to the network which enables you to control it and a network player, the other port to a streamer. However, the two are electrically separated which isolates the player from any hash on the network. 2 - It has a very low noise USB output which can be used straight in to a DAC with the Zenith acting as a UPnP player, controllable from many available apps. 3 - It has a proper power supply and built in mains filter. 4 - It is solid state, plays FLAC from a pre-loaded memory and is quad core. It is therefore very fast with no artwork lag. 5 - It is solid state so is totally silent and it runs cool and boots up in 20 seconds. 6 - It runs Logitech Media Server as well as Asset UPnP, both of which are user configurable. 7 - It is a ripper NAS. 8 - Three boxes become one. 9 - The OS can also be controlled by a tablet. 10 - They offer a money back guarantee if you are not completely satisfied. 11 - They offer support better than any company I know. They will even remotely log in to your system to help if you are having problems. Try getting that from QNAP! 12 - It is 1/3 the price of the equivalent Melco. Has the sound quality improved? Yes. The life is now there in my FLAC files. Dynamics have improved and I can hear more than I could previously. A brilliant product.

Thank you for that. Did you compare to the other lower end models?

Do you have to rip or can you purchase music files and store it in the hd? Like dsd?

I didn't compare with the other models, but as with David at Hifix it sits right behind my head so had to be SSD. I don't do much random but iPeng which I use as the control app will do this. You can purchase music and import it. You can also see it on your home network just like any other NAS so can drag music across in the usual way...

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
Gazzip said:
What was I using before? 

A QNAP NAS via my home network, with tunes (FLAC) dished up to my DAC using a Moon MiND 180.   What was wrong with it? Well, it played music very well, was completely stable, plenty quick enough and with a great user interface. It did however sound a little "flat" compared with my CDP, and a little research suggested that this might be down to the hardware and the way that the network was implemented. I have also been looking for a Spotify connect device over Ethernet and options were limited     Why the Innuos? Well, the version I went for (Zenith) seemed to solve a number of the potential hardware and networking issues.    1 - It has an inbuilt two port gigabit switch. One port is to connected to the network which enables you to control it and a network player, the other port to a streamer. However, the two are electrically separated which isolates the player from any hash on the network.   2 - It has a very low noise USB output which can be used straight in to a DAC with the Zenith acting as a UPnP player, controllable from many available apps.   3 - It has a proper power supply and built in mains filter.   4 - It is solid state, plays FLAC from a pre-loaded memory and is quad core. It is therefore very fast with no artwork lag.   5 - It is solid state so is totally silent and it runs cool and boots up in 20 seconds.   6 - It runs Logitech Media Server as well as Asset UPnP, both of which are user configurable.   7 - It is a ripper NAS.    8 - Three boxes become one.   9 - The OS can also be controlled by a tablet.   10 - They offer a money back guarantee if you are not completely satisfied.   11 - They offer support better than any company I know. They will even remotely log in to your system to help if you are having problems. Try getting that from QNAP!   12 - It is 1/3 the price of the equivalent Melco.     Has the sound quality improved? Yes. The life is now there in my FLAC files. Dynamics have improved and I can hear more than I could previously. A brilliant product.

Thank you for that. Did you compare to the other lower end models?

I didn't compare with the other models, but as with David at Hifix it sits right behind my head so had to be SSD. I don't do much random but iPeng which I use as the control app will do this. You can purchase music and import it. You can also see it on your home network just like any other NAS so can drag music across in the usual way... 

Info thanks

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
I came from using Innuos' previous version of the Zen Mini. The reasons I originally went for the Zen Mini were:

get rid of all CD cases to gain space

flexibility of editing via my iPad

direct connection via USB to the DAC in my pre 

Innuos' excellent support

I went for this after adding the Classe Sigma SSP AV pre to my system, which incorporates an excellent DAC, and with the ability to connect the Zen directly to the DAC in my pre, I didn't need to stream anything over my network. Having encountered differences in CD transports, this approach completely removes that influence. 

Then the Zenith appears, with better power supplies, solid state storage, and all the other stuff Gazzip has already listed. The Zen Mini was quiet, but the Zenith is totally silent, which is good as the unit sits right behind me. I knew this would get me as close to a perfect digital source as possible for a reasonable amount of money. The old Zen Mini was good, and I was happy with it, but moving from that to the Zenith has been one of the best moves I've made. The difference between the Zenith and the current Zen can be quite clearly heard, which was the subject of a little event we held a few months back (playing through a Classe CP800/CA2300 and KEF Blade 2s). There is no harshness or brightness to the signal, just totally clean effortless music. The combination of the lack of noise and distortion of both the Zenith and the SSP makes for a great combination with inky black silences between music, which for me, just adds to the naturalness and transparency of the whole system. I've heard a few high end CD players in store, but I can't imagine them bringing anything else to my system over this. I've lost count of the amount of times I've heard new detail in music, even tracks I've known for decades.

I've always still felt that source is still important, even digital ones, and my experience with the Zenith just hammers that home for me. One of our customers is trying one out over the weekend - I'll report back on his decision.

Thanks David
Do you get 1tb and 2tb versions?

Also how does the dac cope with changing from dsd to flac as with jriver ive had to configure the software etc. I read that the innous does this automatic. How does it talk to the dac?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Infiniteloop said:
What's the benefit of serving files this way rather than off the hard drive of a Mac Mini, especially if you're using iTunes?

I dont have itunes.

Fit for purpose power supply, separated networking, electrical filtering and an audio grade USB output. Also no moving parts so no mechanical (or electrical) noise. Even the Mac Mini SSD has a fan on the processor...

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Unless I am mistaken the usb out is off the pc motherboard.

That is not an audiophile usb output solution. Much much much better solutions exist than this with excellent filtering of the 5v power.

However lucky for usb users there are usb filters such as the JCAT usb filter which is an improved intona usb filter which is designed for industrial usb solutions where they require perfect accuracy.

This is a good solution anyway but a necessity for the Innuos in my eyes looking at it.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Thanks David Do you get 1tb and 2tb versions?

Also how does the dac cope with changing from dsd to flac as with jriver ive had to configure the software etc. I read that the innous does this automatic. How does it talk to the dac?
Ive got the 1TB version. I have filled about half of it, and I figure by the time I need the extra TB, SSD prices will have come down.

Sorry, I haven't got any DSD files on mine. I will be looking this month at extracting digital files from the few SACDs I've got to store on the Zenith, as it was mentioned on AVF that there's a workaround for Oppo bluray players to do this.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
Infiniteloop said:
What's the benefit of serving files this way rather than off the hard drive of a Mac Mini, especially if you're using iTunes?

I dont have itunes.

Fit for purpose power supply, separated networking, electrical filtering and an audio grade USB output. Also no moving parts so no mechanical (or electrical) noise. Even the Mac Mini SSD has a fan on the processor...

So presumably the SQ improves and is worth the cost over just using a Mac Mini......

Hmmm. - Looks worth investigating.....

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
It's got a multi rail linear power supply.
12v for the cpu
12v to feed the pico power supply and possibly 12v to feed the dvd rom or hopefully 5v to power ssd.
Hopefully it uses 2 ssd and not 1.
Given the retail price there are some serious limitations inevitable with a product like this compare to what you can do diy.

Not sure how much they are but computer audio design sells a CAD CAT. That is worth looking at as I know these are far more comprehensive solutions for best sound quality. Although I think you need an external psu but that is no biggy.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
It's funny I posted about setting a computer up like this about a year or so ago and was told I was mad. Funny this solution is now for sale and highly regarded.

ellisdj said:
It's funny I posted about setting a computer up like this about a year or so ago and was told I was mad. Funny this solution is now for sale and highly regarded.
Innuos in its present form have been around since 2014. They were previously called Liv when they started in 2009, then rebranded to "Simply Connected" in 2012, before rebranding again in 2014.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The software is one of the major draws of the Innuos products. Those that can build their own servers more than likely will - the Innuos products have been designed for ease of use, particularly for those that don't (or don't want) to understand PCs/laptops. How many other NAS drives/servers can you edit metadata with a smart phone or tablet?

That's not to say that Innuos have ignored sound quality, as anyone who has heard the Zenith will understand.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
ellisdj said:
Innuos in its present form have been around since 2014. They were previously called Liv when they started in 2009, then rebranded to "Simply Connected" in 2012, before rebranding again in 2014.

Jan 2015 I posted about it in a jplay thread where i was mocked and insulted but "I have been using a setup like it for longer.

To be fair the hardware seems better than the meridian mc200 I paid £2k for at the start. Similar still in ways as a lot of these units are.

TRENDING THREADS