In search of (small) speakers that are good for Brit-pop

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Here's the story sofar:

I already have a Marantz CD5000, that replaced an old Technics cd player. The Marantz was a big improvement over the technics. I currently have it paired with an old Technics stereoreceiver, till my Marantz PM66 KI comes back from being repaired. It should arrive here this week.

I had the Marantz pair hooked up to my current speakers (Salora KS330) and it sounded underwhelming. The Saloras weren't bad when used with the Technics set, but the Marantzs really show whats lacking. It generally sounded cluttered, and guitars didn't have any body.

Therefore, I've decided I need some new speakers, definitely bookshelfs as they will be used in a very small room. Namely 4 by 4 meters (13 by 13 feet). My budget isn't big, 300-400 euros for the speakers. Decent stands will be bought later, and are not taken into consideration yet so the budget is for the speakers alone.

As the topic title suggest, I listen to a lot of britpop (and rock alike) and I would like a system with a detailed, exciting sound. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I've listened to the Monitor Audio BR2's, and I liked them, but I found them to be pretty bright and somewhat coloured. Any other takers in suggested pricerange? Kind regards!

A

Anonymous

Beware - I'm a novice meself, so take no heed of what I say. I'm under the impression that B&Ws are quite bass-ey, so if the MA's are too bright, B&W might be worth a listen.

And, to be fair, Oldphrts reply was quite amusing. No reflection on the music though - just tickled me.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Jan Hibma"]I've listened to the Monitor Audio BR2's, and I liked them, but I found them to be pretty bright and somewhat coloured[/quote]
I can't recommend any without the price but if you like Britpop, you have to expect a bright, coloured sound.

strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]I can't recommend any without the price but if you like Britpop, you have to expect a bright, coloured sound.
[/quote]

This is true. A lot of Britpop was produced to be very harsh and splashy sounding. I've found tweaking things to make Britpop sound "about right" results in everything else sounding a little dull and lifeless.

Some Britpop is better produced though. Pulp's Different Class I found to be pretty good, and Manics stuff is usually okay, but most of the other popular stuff was quite nasty.

BTW, my system is in my sig. The Marantz gear is what I listened to my Britpop stuff with when the gear was new in '97/'98. I found the Tannoy's tempered the harshness just right for me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts