Impulse purchase - Linn Majik DS - thanks Cno :-)

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I have been deliberating adding a dedicated source to my main system for ages, having been previously using a sonos zp90 digital out into my arcam av9 for all music duties. Mainly due to regular mentions on here from Cno, I became aware of and then interested in the Linn range. Just yesterday an ex demo Majik DS arrived in the post (bought unheard), and having had today to set it up and listen to it, thought I would just say ow impressed I am so far.

I genuinely didn't expect one streaming solution to offer too much difference to another. Obviously the Linn has a dac too, and therefore allows the arcam to be in 'direct stereo' mode, so it's not quite comparing apples to apples, but even so I have been really impressed with how much better music Iknow really well sounds on my system through the linn. I'm not the best at describing differences, but there is a marked increased level of detail audible, while being really musical and punchy compared to the arcam dac equivalent.

I would recommend the Linn to anyone thinking about getting a digital source. It's not as user friendly as sonos for sure, and it's a bit more faff to get access to spotify etc (you have to AirPlay it from the iPhone or something, I haven't actually done that yet) but from hat I have heard so far it's as good bit better than sonos. I was considering getting a cd player, but I'm glad I didn't now as I doubt I would have found better for the £1200 I paid for the majik.

So a big thank you Cno

:cheers:

kungula

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
@grevget

congratulations for the Linn which is certainly excellent for the price you paid.

What concerns me personally I use a Sonos ZP 90 at the moment. I have been considering to upgrade to Naim or Linn but I am very reluctant to do so because I believe that it could be too difficult for me to set it up . So if I may ask you : was it easy to set up ?

Enjoy your new purchase.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
It wasn't difficult, but is certainly more involved than setting up sonos (but then what isn't?!).

The important steps as I understand it (or have found first hand) are:

Make sure the music source (mac/pc/nas) is on the wired network. In my case this required using a powerline Ethernet bridge to connect my mac to the router rather than wireless. Easy.

Make sure 'twonky' (or similar) software is installed on the hard drive containing the music. Easy (unless you somehow missed the requirement for this step, as in my case, in which case go to the back of the class :oops: )

Use the linn software 'Konfig' to set up the DS device. Mine is a source only so I had to deactivate the inbuilt volume control, for eg. I also had to change the settings for the remote control, as my arcam remote was causing problems. The software isn't exactly intuitive, but does have a guide built in, just make sure you read the guide before changing loads of the settings. Medium difficulty but not rocket science by any means.

Otherwise my only issues are with the software on the iPhone. Neither twonky nor kinsky will even launch on my iPhone, so I have had to buy songbook lite in order to controlthe DS from my phone. Kinsky works fine on the iPad tho (not twonky tho).

I would say that from my limited listening so far, it's definitely worth the initial hassle compared to sonos. My other half will likely continue to rely on the sonos now as he mainly listens to napster, and it's just easier on the sonos.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for your kind words, but the only thanks I really need, is the fact that my suggestion worked out well....Oh, and it's now not just me going on about this product.

Having owned it for a year or two, I have found the following may help (ie. tucked away for another day):
- The Linn Silver i/c is a great choice (or failing that the Linn Black i/c)
- Black Ravioli pads make a good difference as I described here: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/black-ravioli
- Mains cables make little difference (probably due to Dynamik power supply).
- I find putting a weight on top (Next Directory) improves the sound.
- Linn Records 24 bit sounds incredible.

In this blog, the writer said it wiped the floor with a (no longer available) £12k Linn CD12:
http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/linn-streaming-evening-chris-brooks.html

I've also heard it give a clean pair of heels to an expensive Mark Levinson CDP (can't remember the model).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
kungula said:
@grevget

congratulations for the Linn which is certainly excellent for the price you paid.

What concerns me personally I use a Sonos ZP 90 at the moment. I have been considering to upgrade to Naim or Linn but I am very reluctant to do so because I believe that it could be too difficult for me to set it up . So if I may ask you : was it easy to set up ?

Enjoy your new purchase.

Linn like this sold through their dealers, so they can help set the thing up...in my case, they did just that, and all within the cost.

FWIW. This crowd are very helpful and know their onions:
http://www.ripcaster.co.uk/

In case it's of interest, I use Kinsky on the Laptop and Chorus on an ipod Touch....there's an HD version for the iPad.

The Linn forum is a great place to gather info: http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/forumdisplay.php?fid=3

Once set up, it's a cinch to use.

Cno

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
- The Linn Silver i/c is a great choice (or failing that the Linn Black i/c)

Thanks Cno. I currently use chord chorus I/C, you think the linn would be better? I would have to get three pairs to try it as my speakers are biamped, and have a pre amp/power amp too. It's a lot of money to spend!

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
[ In case it's of interest, I use Kinsky on the Laptop and Chorus on an ipod Touch....there's an HD version for the iPad. The Linn forum is a great place to gather info: http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/forumdisplay.php?fid=3 Once set up, it's a cinch to use. Cno

I have been using songbook as with the mac version installed it allows me to browse iTunes playlists. Does chorus also let you do this, cos it looks like nice software?

Cheers Cno!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Oh Gawd, two difficult questions.

Re Linn Silver - As the Chorus is good i/c, it will come down to taste. I would only consider changing if you can borrow the Silvers from a dealer and try them.
For me, there is a rightness about the way the music is presented by the Linn i/c, which may be down to the synergy with the DS.

Re Chorus - I'm not good with this, but do a search (via google) about it on the Linn Forum. eg. I came across this: http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=16765

As far as I understand, Chorus was designed by a forum member to satisfy what was wanted, and was then fine tuned in its Beta state by other members before release.

If you don't find the answer, you could always join as they are a helpful bunch.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Cno. Sorry to ask difficult questions! I'm good at that :oops:

I think I will leave the I/Cs for now, as I am happy with the sound and I don't really want to have different makes on the stereo pair to the rest of the channels. I will keep an eye out for cheap second hand ones maybe on eBay if I get bored further down the line.

I am happy with songbook for now, but will look at chorus too. It's quite a lot more expensive but looks like you can browse iTunes playlists once the mac version is installed, same as songbook. Makes quite a big difference if like me you have loads of playlists set up already.

Dont suppose you have heard the akkurate DS for comparison (in a non Linn system) to the majik have you? Just interested if you think it's worth going further down the rabbit hole .....

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I am delighted to try and answer your question....just bear in mind that it's my subjective judgement, and due to the law of diminishing returns, everyone puts a different value on the perceived improvement.

Here is a good place to start: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/streamer-league-table

First a little bit of history....When the Majik DS got the Dynamic power supply, it brought it up to about the level of the Akurate DS without it...of course when the ADS/D came out, the gap returned to what it was.
IMO. This gap was noticeable, but not worth the difference. The Akurate DS/1 has now come out, and is a step up again....which has widened the gap with the MDS/D to a much more significant level. The sound is cleaner and more detailed/accurate.

The problem is, the Klimax DS/1 is so much better again, and is much more musical and analogue sounding. I won't be changing until I can afford to get my hands on one.

The one to keep an eye out for is called "the Renew DS", which were made when people left their Klimax DS/0 in for the upgrade to KDS/1, and the removed parts were made into a less fancy looking KDS/0. It sells for less than the price of an ADS/1, and is a lot better. The problem is they are now very scarce on the ground.

Whether it is worth your while changing for an ADS/1, depends on the quality of the rest of your system and to what extent it will show this improvement. Your system is very good, but I'm not sure it's worth spending the money for an ADS/1 unless you get one cheap, or upgrade your amp/speakers.

What I would do (have done), is maximize the Majik DS with Black Ravioli pads (which should be borrowed to try).....I have 12 pads under mine, and it made a very worthwhile difference. The second thing to try (if not already doing so) is to try some power cords on the AV9/P7.

I rate Clearer Audio, who allow a good trial period after which they can be sent back for a refund if necessary. I would try a Copper-Line Alpha + on the AV9, and a Copper-Line on the P7. Darren is the owner and is very helpful and knowledgeable: http://www.cleareraudio.com/

What speaker cable do you have?

Are your speakers on a suspended wooden floor?

What I'm trying to get at, is that if you maximize the MDS/D, as well as your system, you might be surprised what can be achieved. Remember, the MDS is equivalent to a fairly high-end CDP.

Cno

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Cno. What you have said makes sense and is much as I had expected.

I have been watching a Renew on eBay for a few days already. Can't justify that yet tho really!

I think my main speakers are next to be improved. We are moving later this year, which should then get me permission to have seven channels, so I can move my Fb1is to the rear/sides and get new front speakers. To this end I have a demo of the OB1is, twenty fours, and kef reference 205/2s on Friday. I already know what you are going to say about that one!!! I want to hear the pmc fact 8's too tho, as I do love the pmc sound.

I am also trying bryston amplification as that is where I would ideally like to end up. Your regular love letters about class A have made me want to hear the musical fidelity ams series too, although I don't think I could justify the electricity bills :O

Hearing the kef blades with electrocompaniet nemo's a few years ago makes me want to hear more of the electrocompaniet stuff too, although not many places stock them for demo which makes it difficult.

Cable wise, I have clearer audio mains cables on my tv and sky box, but none on the arcam stuff yet. Will look into that for sure. Speaker cable is chord epic, which is great, but will almost certainly need to be changed when we move so feel free to suggest alternatives. I know you like the tellurium q, although I have to be honest and say that I have that on my other system, between my Cyrus 8xpd qx and spendor sa1's, and it's not significantly better than the chord rumour it replaced.

Yes the speakers are on suspended wooden floors, and no I haven't tried granite blocks etc. I have spent a long time playing with positioning tho so at least I have done that bit ;)

Frustratingly I haven't been home since the first day I posted, so I haven't been able to play with the majik since then. Back home on Sunday :clap:

Cheers again

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Well I think you are looking in the right places.

Can you try your existing CA power cords on the on the Arcam stuff to see what happens.

Which TQ do you have, and if it's the Black, can you try it on this system?

Isolating the speakers properly, may well have a profound effect.

I look forward to how you get on.

Cno

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I'm sure I can move the power cords around, it's just theres no room back there whatsoever and its such a pain changing the cables :O

More likely to happen once we move I think. Next time I am leaving some room round the back lol

Its the black tellurium q, and not really as I only have one run of it, and the FB1i's are biamped. Plus, see the power cord response above!

I will have a look at isolating the speakers. That's certainly the easiest option right now. Still looking forward to my demo on Friday tho :)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Quick question on the topic...if i have a separate CDP, I am able to connect it through the Majik DS to use the LINN's DAC?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
gregvet said:
Thanks Cno. What you have said makes sense and is much as I had expected.

I have been watching a Renew on eBay for a few days already. Can't justify that yet tho really!

I think my main speakers are next to be improved. We are moving later this year, which should then get me permission to have seven channels, so I can move my Fb1is to the rear/sides and get new front speakers. To this end I have a demo of the OB1is, twenty fours, and kef reference 205/2s on Friday. I already know what you are going to say about that one!!! I want to hear the pmc fact 8's too tho, as I do love the pmc sound.

I am also trying bryston amplification as that is where I would ideally like to end up. Your regular love letters about class A have made me want to hear the musical fidelity ams series too, although I don't think I could justify the electricity bills :O

Hearing the kef blades with electrocompaniet nemo's a few years ago makes me want to hear more of the electrocompaniet stuff too, although not many places stock them for demo which makes it difficult.

Cable wise, I have clearer audio mains cables on my tv and sky box, but none on the arcam stuff yet. Will look into that for sure. Speaker cable is chord epic, which is great, but will almost certainly need to be changed when we move so feel free to suggest alternatives. I know you like the tellurium q, although I have to be honest and say that I have that on my other system, between my Cyrus 8xpd qx and spendor sa1's, and it's not significantly better than the chord rumour it replaced.

Yes the speakers are on suspended wooden floors, and no I haven't tried granite blocks etc. I have spent a long time playing with positioning tho so at least I have done that bit ;)

Frustratingly I haven't been home since the first day I posted, so I haven't been able to play with the majik since then. Back home on Sunday :clap:

Cheers again

Sorry to go slightly off topic but if you want to try Electrocompaniet then here is a list of UK dealers .

http://www.electrocompaniet.no/about/distributors_uk.html

and a worldwide list

http://www.electrocompaniet.no/about/distributors.html

Audio T used to sell them too and may have some in stock , I thinks that Audio T may continue to sell Electrocompaniet now that the merger with Sevenoaks has fallen through !

I can say from experience that the combination of Electrocompaniet and PMC is a match made in heaven :grin:

They are just as good with KEF too :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
gregvet said:

Cheers again

When I went with the 35i, I checked out what it was likely to cost re the ESB bill, and here is my understanding of how this works (please check for yourself):

1000W = 1 Unit @ 20p/hr

330W (35i) = 6.6p/hr

1Hr of use every day for a year = £24

6Hrs/day for a year = £144

You are right about my preference of speaker, but I also think 35i + Fact 8 sound very well!

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
Quick question on the topic...if i have a separate CDP, I am able to connect it through the Majik DS to use the LINN's DAC?

You can not plug anything into a MDS.

You can plug the cd player, or anything else with digital (or analogue) outputs into the Majik DSM, just not the DS.

Think of the DS as just a source, and the DSM (or older model DSI) as being combined source, preamp, dac, and amp.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
When I went with the 35i, I checked out what it was likely to cost re the ESB bill, and here is my understanding of how this works (please check for yourself):

1000W = 1 Unit @ 20p/hr

330W (35i) = 6.6p/hr

1Hr of use every day for a year = £24

6Hrs/day for a year = £144

You are right about my preference of speaker, but I also think 35i + Fact 8 sound very well!

Mine is on most of the day between me and my other half, plus there are five channels to consider. I'm not a big fan of having different makes of amp on different channels, cos we do at least as much film watching as music listening and I seem to be quite sensitive to differences between channels.

So say 5 channels going for 18 hours a day, I make that £1080 a year. Given how electricity costs keep going up that could be pushing £2000 a year before you know it :oops:

My other half would have a fit if I proposed that. Our electricity bills high enough as it is.

Maybe I should be looking at class D. I hear bella canto are nice ;)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
gregvet said:
Mine is on most of the day between me and my other half, plus there are five channels to consider. I'm not a big fan of having different makes of amp on different channels, cos we do at least as much film watching as music listening and I seem to be quite sensitive to differences between channels.

So say 5 channels going for 18 hours a day, I make that £1080 a year. Given how electricity costs keep going up that could be pushing £2000 a year before you know it :oops:

My other half would have a fit if I proposed that. Our electricity bills high enough as it is.

Maybe I should be looking at class D. I hear bella canto are nice ;)

If you are considering 2 channel amplification that isn't in a different room, it will have to provide the front L&R of your AV set up.

If it's of any help, this is exactly what I do. The Sonic signature of the AMS 35i is not unlike that of the AVR600 (which is why I like it), but its just better....imo this is not an issue, as the centre does 70% of the work and L&R are little more than "front surrounds". I am very fussy, but can't tell that it's a different amp driving these front speakers.

I have heard quite a lot of amps, but none of them were as close to the AVR600. Now it's true that I have not compared the P7 with the MF, but I can't imagine it being a mile away. The P777 would be an even closer match!

I am not trying to do a particular sales job on the 35i, it's just that some of the issues that you think will be a problem, may not work out that way in practice....18 hrs a day would then be £432 for the MF.

If you are considering Bel Canto, then like as not it wouldn't be a good a match.....imo. It would be a pity to ditch Arcam stuff as it sounds so well, especially if you like your AV to give a musical presentation.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvi said:
If you are considering 2 channel amplification that isn't in a different room, it will have to provide the front L&R of your AV set up.

If it's of any help, this is exactly what I do. The Sonic signature of the AMS 35i is not unlike that of the AVR600 (which is why I like it), but its just better....imo this is not an issue, as the centre does 70% of the work and L&R are little more than "front surrounds". I am very fussy, but can't tell that it's a different amp driving these front speakers.

I have heard quite a lot of amps, but none of them were as close to the AVR600. Now it's true that I have not compared the P7 with the MF, but I can't imagine it being a mile away. The P777 would be an even closer match!

I am not trying to do a particular sales job on the 35i, it's just that some of the issues that you think will be a problem, may not work out that way in practice....18 hrs a day would then be £432 for the MF.

If you are considering Bel Canto, then like as not it wouldn't be a good a match.....imo. It would be a pity to ditch Arcam stuff as it sounds so well, especially if you like your AV to give a musical presentation.

Dont worry Cno I was only joking about Bel Canto. Im sure they are great n all but I don't think that's the direction I am heading in!

I need to hear the bryston stuff before I look at other options. Musical fidelity and electrocompaniet are the other makes that interest me, but I'm not rushing into anything. I know you manage without AV pass thru on the 35i but I think that would create issues with my other half. I guess the power amp version might be a better option for me then. Having said that, I suspect I am heading in the bryston direction rather than the arcam, so the 35i might stick out a bit from the other channels then.

Who knows where I will end up. I am enjoying the process so far, and the Majik DS is great. I can't wait to get home at the weekend and listen some more! Will let you know what I think about tomorrows demo too ....

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
gregvet said:
Dont worry Cno I was only joking about Bel Canto. Im sure they are great n all but I don't think that's the direction I am heading in!

I need to hear the bryston stuff before I look at other options. Musical fidelity and electrocompaniet are the other makes that interest me, but I'm not rushing into anything. I know you manage without AV pass thru on the 35i but I think that would create issues with my other half. I guess the power amp version might be a better option for me then. Having said that, I suspect I am heading in the bryston direction rather than the arcam, so the 35i might stick out a bit from the other channels then.

Who knows where I will end up. I am enjoying the process so far, and the Majik DS is great. I can't wait to get home at the weekend and listen some more! Will let you know what I think about tomorrows demo too ....

Right, I'm finally with you.....if the Bryston is powering all channels, then that is totally different. The 35i would not be sensible (and most likely not be a good match with it anyway).

I got it into my head it was a stereo amp you were after. :oops:

You should if poss get a listen to a P777 as it is an exceptional piece of kit, and a good step up from the P7.

I looked into the 35P power amp, but the pre-amp on the Arcam was then the weak link. The only way I could get the requisite quality was the stereo integrated amp.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I had heard that there wasn't much improvement p7 to p777, so it's interesting that you think differently. I would need to hear it, you are right. Unfortunately none of my local dealers stock the arcam av stuff anymore, as the reliability issues, and (according to the dealers) slow sales made them not worth the hassle :cry:

Electronics wise I would ideally like to upgrade pre amp first to something that accepts audio over hdmi, as I am sick of the spaghetti junction behind the electronics. Particularly as its not that easy to get at :wall:

Like I say, I'm in no rush as my system currently is well balanced and I love what it does. Always nice to be planning the next upgrade tho >)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
There is some seriously clever thinking in the P777, which make it a Class G.....it sounds a lot like Class A, but without the consumption issues.

It is similar to the AVR600, which is well described here (P.163; Section 111.Tech analysis).....may be academic though, if you can't get to hear it:
http://www.iar-80.com/page161.html

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts