Impulse purchase - Linn Majik DS - thanks Cno :-)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
gregvet said:
Assuming you are sufficiently familiar with both the p7 and p777, how would you describe the differences/improvements?

I heard them in different rooms with different speakers....but the impression was that the P777 had better bass (deeper,tighter and more powerful), was more detailed, accurate and exciting (it had a Class a quality to the sound).....though saying all that, it is not something to get without hearing first.

They can be got at reasonable prices: http://www.hifigear.co.uk/arcam-p777-seven-channel-power-amplifier-in-black-finish.html

My AVR 600 saw off some very good stereo amps (MF M6i; Coda CSI and Moon I7), and the P777 is another step up again....but again that is my subjective taste. All I'm saying is don't rule it out.

That article I linked to is a little OTT, but I don't see much wrong with his (Peter Moncrieff) description of the Tech involved. There are people who have bought two of them and Tri-amped some Kef Refs I think >) .

David from F.Harvey may shed more light on this.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
It's David doing my demo tomorrow with the bryston kit. He no longer sells the arcam, but I plan to quiz him about the av888/p7 while I am there. Hope he isn't reading this lol

I would be quite happy to stick with arcam now from what I have heard of the difference the majik ds has made to two channel. That's based on limited listening time tho, so I need to take it step by step. As I say, I think the processor needs to be upgraded beforethe power amp, and possibly the speakers before that.

Thank god my other half doesn't frequent this forum >)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Well that couldn't be better, and he will be able to answer your questions better than I........at least most of the problems were in the AV888. It's a great match with both PMC and the Refs....though I expect the Bryston will be the dogs b*!!*cks!.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Electro said:
Sorry to go slightly off topic but if you want to try Electrocompaniet then here is a list of UK dealers .

http://www.electrocompaniet.no/about/distributors_uk.html

and a worldwide list

http://www.electrocompaniet.no/about/distributors.html

Audio T used to sell them too and may have some in stock , I thinks that Audio T may continue to sell Electrocompaniet now that the merger with Sevenoaks has fallen through !

I can say from experience that the combination of Electrocompaniet and PMC is a match made in heaven :grin:

They are just as good with KEF too :)

Thanks electro, I missed this post yesterday. I had not seen this list, and there are a couple of dealers within an hour of me, so I will give them a shout and see what they have got.

:cheers:

I have to say although I haven't heard the bryston stuff yet (later today, watch this space), I have a good feeling about electrocompaniet for some reason. Wonder if anywhere stocks both for a comparative demo?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
gregvet said:
Electro said:
Sorry to go slightly off topic but if you want to try Electrocompaniet then here is a list of UK dealers .

http://www.electrocompaniet.no/about/distributors_uk.html

and a worldwide list

http://www.electrocompaniet.no/about/distributors.html

Audio T used to sell them too and may have some in stock , I thinks that Audio T may continue to sell Electrocompaniet now that the merger with Sevenoaks has fallen through !

I can say from experience that the combination of Electrocompaniet and PMC is a match made in heaven :grin:

They are just as good with KEF too :)

Thanks electro, I missed this post yesterday. I had not seen this list, and there are a couple of dealers within an hour of me, so I will give them a shout and see what they have got.

:cheers:

I have to say although I haven't heard the bryston stuff yet (later today, watch this space), I have a good feeling about electrocompaniet for some reason. Wonder if anywhere stocks both for a comparative demo?

Bryston amps are fantastic and would probably be my second choice after Electrocompaniet . It may be surprising to some but there are a lot of similarities between the two brands .

Both have a large professional heritage and are used by recording studio's and musicians worldwide , the legendary Grammy Award-winning audio engineer and music producer Bruce Swedien takes Electrocompaniet amplifiers with him to every job he does and he uses them in his own studio with Westlake speakers .

http://www.westlakeaudio.com/

and this ,

http://www.asc-studio-acoustics.com/germany.htm

Electrocompaniet are also mentioned on one of the best selling albums in the world .

http://www.enjoy-audio.de/downloads/michael-jackson-and-electrocompaniet---final-v.pdf

You can tell I love them :)

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Electro said:
Electrocompaniet

Nothing wrong with that electro.

Just to let you know how today went, had a very relaxed, lengthy demo in the end. A few hiccups, main one being no bryston amp as they only have the 4b and it was out of action :doh:

So bryston SP3 was feeding audiolab mono blocks instead.

Second hiccup was my test playlist was on a USB stick in apple lossless format. Guess how many of the streamers accept apple lossless files via USB? Hint, not many ;)

Anyway, once we found a way to play my music, had a good session with the pmc ob1is to start. Clearly better than my fb1is, as they should be. Quite bass heavy. Liked them a lot.

Then onto the pmc twenty.4s. Such a different presentation from what I am used to with my fb1is, but once I got used to it these are seriously good speakers. Really well balanced, detailed but not bright at all. Make me want to hear the fact 8s very badly!

Lastly had to listen to the Kef reference 205s. I don't think the audiolabs were really up to the job with these, but even so they really are amazing speakers. They do something with piano that I just haven't heard any other speaker do. I really love them, and can see why Cno is so happy with his.

Anyway, just my tuppence worth. Not buying anything today, and next up for demo is the fact 8, and hopefully some bryston/electrocompaniet amplification.

Also, a big thanks to David for being so patient, lugging the speakers and streamers around, and listening to my weird music so many times :cheers:

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
gregvet said:
It's David doing my demo tomorrow with the bryston kit. He no longer sells the arcam, but I plan to quiz him about the av888/p7 while I am there. Hope he isn't reading this lol

I hadn't been, as I presumed it was all about the Linn streamer! But noticed you'd posted, so popped in... :grin:

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
gregvet said:

I hadn't been, as I presumed it was all about the Linn streamer! But noticed you'd posted, so popped in... :grin:

Haha, no hiding on here is there :doh:

Thanks again for today. Look forward to coming back when you have a bryston amp so you can show me what the 205/2's can really do ;)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Also, a big thanks to David for being so patient, lugging the speakers and streamers around, and listening to my weird music so many times :cheers:

No problem at all, just a shame about the power amp. I hate it when something like that happens - a product works day in day out, then suddenly doesn't want to play ball when you really need it to! Looks like a mains issue in that part of the store though. As I say, it was working all day Wednesday - I was off yesterday and this morning it wasn't not happy. Grrr.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
gregvet said:
Electro said:
Electrocompaniet

Nothing wrong with that electro.

Just to let you know how today went, had a very relaxed, lengthy demo in the end. A few hiccups, main one being no bryston amp as they only have the 4b and it was out of action :doh:

Second hiccup was my test playlist was on a USB stick in apple lossless format. Guess how many of the streamers accept apple lossless files via USB? Hint, not many ;)

Anyway, once we found a way to play my music, had a good session with the pmc ob1is to start. Clearly better than my fb1is, as they should be. Quite bass heavy. Liked them a lot.

Then onto the pmc twenty.4s. Such a different presentation from what I am used to with my fb1is, but once I got used to it these are seriously good speakers. Really well balanced, detailed but not bright at all. Make me want to hear the fact 8s very badly!

Lastly had to listen to the Kef reference 205s. I don't think the audiolabs were really up to the job with these, but even so they really are amazing speakers. They do something with piano that I just haven't heard any other speaker do. I really love them, and can see why Cno is so happy with his.

Anyway, just my tuppence worth. Not buying anything today, and next up for demo is the fact 8, and hopefully some bryston/electrocompaniet amplification.

It is a shame that all did not go as planned but I bet you enjoyed yourself anyway :) .

One thing I would say though is that the PMC PB1i 's rather than the OB1i's would be a fairer competitor to the KEF 205/2 as they are closer in price and size.

There is a very large jump up in performance from the OB1i to the PB1i in every area of the performance so on your next demo it is worth asking to listen to the PB1i with the Bryston 4bsst and Electrocompaniet amps as well :)

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Electro said:
It is a shame that all did not go as planned but I bet you enjoyed yourself anyway :) .

One thing I would say though is that the PMC PB1i 's rather than the OB1i's would be a fairer competitor to the KEF 205/2 as they are closer in price and size.

There is a very large jump up in performance from the OB1i to the PB1i in every area of the performance so on your next demo it is worth asking to listen to the PB1i with the Bryston 4bsst and Electrocompaniet amps as well :)

Yes PB1i's would have been my preference, but Frank Harvey Hifi don't have them or anything above the OB1i's, so I took what I could get. Would still love to hear them, although based on my demo today I think I would rather they come out with a three way in the twenty series, as I preferred the presentation of the twenty.4's today to the OB1i's. Have you hear the fact 8's? They seem to be marmite speakers, so not really sure what to expect when I hear them.

Yes I did enjoy myself today tho. I will be arranging the electrocompaniet demo when I get back home next week. My local audio t has the fact 8 too so that won't be difficult to arrange. Exciting!

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
gregvet said:
Electro said:

Yes PB1i's would have been my preference, but Frank Harvey Hifi don't have them or anything above the OB1i's, so I took what I could get. Would still love to hear them, although based on my demo today I think I would rather they come out with a three way in the twenty series, as I preferred the presentation of the twenty.4's today to the OB1i's. Have you hear the fact 8's? They seem to be marmite speakers, so not really sure what to expect when I hear them.

Yes I did enjoy myself today tho. I will be arranging the electrocompaniet demo when I get back home next week. My local audio t has the fact 8 too so that won't be difficult to arrange. Exciting!

I did try the Fact 8's before I bought my PB1i's and they were very good, they sounded ultra clean and detailed but I found them too forward and a little lacking in bass power and depth even compared to my old OB1's .

With well recorded music they could sound stunning but they were not even in the same league as the PB1i's , all in my opinion of course :) , but you may prefer that type of sound so they are definitely worth a listen .

Which Electrocompaniet amps have Audio T got in stock ?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
gregvet said:

Good to hear how you got on, but it's frustrating when things don't go to plan.

I'm glad you got to hear the 205/2s, though you only scratched the surface of what they can do....you are right to be looking at the likes of Bryston and Electrocompaniet....and I would add Plinius and Classe. You should (if not already) be keeping an eye on how Frogfish gets on with amps for his 207/2s, though some big Class A jobbies would bring you back to square one!

I believe the Fact 8s are voiced much more like the 24 Series, so should be to your liking.

BTW. In the hierarchy of the speakers that you heard, where do the Kefs fit in?

When you've got an idea of where you're heading, a home dem is then essential, if it can be organized.

Cno

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Electro said:
I did try the Fact 8's before I bought my PB1i's and they were very good, they sounded ultra clean and detailed but I found them too forward and a little lacking in bass power and depth even compared to my old OB1's .

This is why they are a good match with the 35i, which is tonally sweet (not at the expense of detail), and has stupendous bass. :shifty:

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Electro said:
Which Electrocompaniet amps have Audio T got in stock ?

Sorry I didn't phrase that very well. My local audio t has fact 8's, and you have now pointed me in the direction of dealers with electrocompaniet, so between the two I will get to hear both. Not together tho unless either of the dealers with electrocompaniet also have the fact 8. I will do some digging next week and let you know!

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I'm glad you got to hear the 205/2s, though you only scratched the surface of what they can do....you are right to be looking at the likes of Bryston and Electrocompaniet....and I would add Plinius and Classe. You should (if not already) be keeping an eye on how Frogfish gets on with amps for his 207/2s, though some big Class A jobbies would bring you back to square one!

I believe the Fact 8s are voiced much more like the 24 Series, so should be to your liking.

BTW. In the hierarchy of the speakers that you heard, where do the Kefs fit in?

When you've got an idea of where you're heading, a home dem is then essential, if it can be organized.

Cno

I have heard the 205/2's before, and they have been since then my 'dream speakers' really. I just haven't felt they fit into my system as it has been so far. Right now I also can't help feel that an updated reference series can't be far away, given the blade development and how good the r series are. I am a sucker for 'end of line bargains' lol, that's how I got my arcam av9/p7 new for £1800, and the linn majik for £1200. Who knows how much the last of the 205/2's will go for ;)

Having said that, I am happy to pay full price for something that is a big upgrade if I want it badly enough!

I would love a five channel kef reference system, but don't currently have the room. Once we move the room might be ok, but I have to decide whether I am willing to change all the speakers over. Upgrading within the PMC family would be a lot easier from that point of view, and cheaper too! Based on today's demo I could be very happy with twenty.4's, at last until the upgrade bug bites again. So who knows how I might feel about the fact 8's.

All I know is I am enjoying this process.

Still can't wait to get home and play some more music through the majik. It's killing me being away from home this week!

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Electro said:

This is why they are a good match with the 35i, which is tonally sweet (not at the expense of detail), and has stupendous bass. :shifty:

Sounds like the AMS35i and the Fact 8's might be a perfect match :) it is always interesting to find two tonal characters that work well together to produce even more than the sum of the parts , it's also another path to investigate maybe ;)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
gregvet said:
I have heard the 205/2's before, and they have been since then my 'dream speakers' really. I just haven't felt they fit into my system as it has been so far. Right now I also can't help feel that an updated reference series can't be far away, given the blade development and how good the r series are. I am a sucker for 'end of line bargains' lol, that's how I got my arcam av9/p7 new for £1800, and the linn majik for £1200. Who knows how much the last of the 205/2's will go for ;)

Having said that, I am happy to pay full price for something that is a big upgrade if I want it badly enough!

I would love a five channel kef reference system, but don't currently have the room. Once we move the room might be ok, but I have to decide whether I am willing to change all the speakers over. Upgrading within the PMC family would be a lot easier from that point of view, and cheaper too! Based on today's demo I could be very happy with twenty.4's, at last until the upgrade bug bites again. So who knows how I might feel about the fact 8's.

All I know is I am enjoying this process.

Still can't wait to get home and play some more music through the majik. It's killing me being away from home this week!

I like your thinking.....everything comes to he who waits!

I suspect you are probably right about the Refs being updated, but saying that, I've seen some great deals ex-dem for 203/2s; 205/2s and 202/2c. I picked up the previous generation rear di-poles, for a quarter of the price!

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Electro said:
Sounds like the AMS35i and the Fact 8's might be another path to investigate maybe ;)

Dont you start electro! It's bad enough having Cno banging on about it :rofl:

If I ever own an AMS35i it will be in my two channel only system, where the lack of AV pass through isn't an issue. Is that enough for you both!!!

Seriously tho, any amps for the left and right front channels of my main system need to

a) integrate well sonically with the other channels of amplification (whatever I end up with)

and

b) integrate well from a user point of view (if it is possible for my other half to press the wrong button and blow up a speaker, it will happen)

Ok?

:p

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I suspect you are probably right about the Refs being updated, but saying that, I've seen some great deals ex-dem for 203/2s; 205/2s and 202/2c. I picked up the previous generation rear di-poles, for a quarter of the price!

Im a big fan of ex dem too, that's how I got my spendor sa1's lol

However, my concern there is that I need kef reference all round, as the difference between kef fronts and pmc rears would really bug me. So unless I find somewhere getting rid of their demo surround system, I don't know how that would work.

I guess I could start picking up bits now and only make the change when I have a full kef system. Imagine that tho, having a pair of 205/2's in the basement still in their box, waiting for the matching rear speakers before you could play with them!

:doh:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Electro said:
Sounds like the AMS35i and the Fact 8's might be a perfect match :) it is always interesting to find two tonal characters that work well together to produce even more than the sum of the parts , it's also another path to investigate maybe ;)

A bit like the Electro amps, I have yet to hear a speaker that doesn't sound well with the MF....speakers that I don't like, sound quite good (Focal/Triangle), and speakers that I like, sound sublime. It's also an all-rounder where music is concerned....but everyone on here has heard me prattle on endlessly about this.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
gregvet said:
I guess I could start picking up bits now and only make the change when I have a full kef system. Imagine that tho, having a pair of 205/2's in the basement still in their box, waiting for the matching rear speakers before you could play with them!

:doh:

That would be more frustrating than living with different rears for a few months.

If I was in your position and ulitmately wanted to move to a Ref system, I would sell the PMCs, get Refs for the front, and temporarily get cheaper Kefs for the rear (which would be a better match), until Refs could be purchased.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
gregvet said:
You are a bad man Cno :p
You're right....though I do speak from experience.

I got the centre first, which I lived with along with IQ9s. I then got the 205/2s, but lived with the IQ Di-poles until I saw the Ref 206 DSs on ebay. Simples. >)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts