Improving SQ through AV reciever and streaming

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Currently using denon 2310 and sony s370 for music and want to improve the sound and add streaming ect. Orinally I was looking at adding and olive o4hd but was put off a bit by the apparently bad android app and back up process. Does anyone know if this is still an issue? Option 2 is to get seperate boxes to run through the denon, (speakers are B&W 684) Advice on this setup would be appreatiated. Audiolab 8200 CD (as it has built in DAC but not sure if i need one or not) Audiolab 8200 Amp Cambridge audio NP30 which will be contolled via the android app when they get one. Some form on NAS maybe a 2TB if i can get hold of one. Also can any one comment on what kind of benefits they have got from using coax to reciver for audio etc.

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Soopafly49 said:
Currently using denon 2310 and sony s370 for music and want to improve the sound and add streaming ect. Orinally I was looking at adding and olive o4hd but was put off a bit by the apparently bad android app and back up process.

Does anyone know if this is still an issue?

Option 2 is to get seperate boxes to run through the denon, (speakers are B&W 684) Advice on this setup would be appreatiated.

Audiolab 8200 CD (as it has built in DAC but not sure if i need one or not)

Audiolab 8200 Amp

Cambridge audio NP30 which will be contolled via the android app when they get one.

Some form on NAS maybe a 2TB if i can get hold of one.

Also can any one comment on what kind of benefits they have got from using coax to reciver for audio etc.

T

the record spot

I'd probably look at one of the network enabled AV receivers from the likes of Onkyo and others. You'll get good streaming capability, ample connectivity and a plentiful range at varying budgets from £400 or so up to and over £1000.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
A NAS and a full media streamer would be my suggestion. As you are going to play through your Denon it will give you the best possible music quality, and the additional option to stream movies/videos that you could have stored on the NAS.

A suitable streamer would be a ACRyan Playon!hd mini2, Roku 2 etc - they cost around £80

For a NAS I'd suggest at least a 2bay NAS (so you can have backup). 4Bay if you want to store lots of movies.

wilsmusic

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
I've got a 370 with a yamaha rxv 3065 but have recently started using the 370 more and more for music streaming from my laptop.

I've done the following to improve the quality of my music. At the moment I don't need a NAS as I've plenty of memory left

The first thing I did to improve the sound for music was to buy a cheap integrated amp on ebay and then link this up to my yamaha through its preouts and then use the integrated amp to drive the fronts - there is a video on this website showing you how to do it.

This gave me a slight improvement in playback for music. Reading through various forums I realised the limiting factor was the quality of the pre amplifier on the Yamaha as I guess it will be for you on the denon.

I have now bought a Fiio D3 DAC (very cheap at £40) and use a coaxial cable from the 370 to plug straight into my integrated amp - bingo! - massively improved sound. As I have Tivo from Virgin I now also use an optical cable to listen to spotify from my DAC into my amp too.

So for movies/TV I can still take sound from HDMI into the receiver and for music I can switch to Coax/optical straight to the amp. Best of both worlds for a small outlay on a very cheap DAC, cheap amp and some cables - less than £100 all in and plenty of fun upgrading over the next few months. :grin:

You have a much better amp than me so would suggest trying this first?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts