Improving Music/Stereo Playback

tony0898

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Hello

I have just replaced my Onkyo TX-NR809 with a Marantz SR6005. I have a Marantz UD7006 and my speaker set up is Mordaunt Short MS914's as fronts, MS304 centre, MS302 as rear and a Cambridge Audio Minx X200 as sub.

Firstly, are my speakers a weak point in my system, are they letting me down, should i upgrade and if so to what. Not tried bi-amping as yet, so this is still an option.

Also i have no experiance of dedicated stereo amps regarding music playback. I heard that Marantz AV's are considered to be more 'musical' than other manufacturers but would my music playback be enhanced if i was to connect to my system say the Marantz PM6004. I would still be looking at using the UD7006 for the CD playback or again is this something i should look to be adding to my system, a dedicated CD player.

Any advice or experiance would be gratefully received.

Tony

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I'm not familiar with your speakers, so won't comment on those other than to say, demo some new speakers for both stereo and surround sound and decide whether you think yours are good enough. Ideally demo with marantz amps so to get a good comparison.

With regard to the source, your blu ray player is supposed to be ok for CDs too so there's no urgency there. If I were you, I would look at a separate dac rather than cd player, as you could use digital out from the blu ray player (ie use it as a transport only) feeding a dac of your choice (the rega dac is flavour of the month for eg). This gives you the flexibility of being able to add a sonos or other streamer further down the line using the same dac.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts