Importance of Independent crossover settings?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I have recently put together a new home cinema setup;

Qacoustics 1010i speaker package

Onkyo 507 amp

Really pleased with both, however at some point I will be adding some nice stereo floorstanders, I noticed that although my amp has settings for Sub crossover and speaker size (small or large) it doesn't have per channel crossover settings.

How much of a need is that, will I be better off getting a newer amp when it comes time for me to upgrade my fronts or is it not to much of an issue.

Don't get me wrong this is not something I intend to do for a good while, however the answer to this has me intrigued.

Thanks

Stu

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Stu,

I think most of the bass goes through the fronts and sub channels with most amps, if you have large front speakers the 'large' speaker setting shouldn't trouble the rears too much.

I had a system which had Mission 753 fronts and 780se rears powered by a Denon receiver, and always used the large setting with no problems.Went bloody loud too.

It's probably a useful feature to have, but I don't think it's essential.

A

Anonymous

Dougal1331:
Stu,

I think most of the bass goes through the fronts and sub channels with most amps, if you have large front speakers the 'large' speaker setting shouldn't trouble the rears too much.

I had a system which had Mission 753 fronts and 780se rears powered by a Denon receiver, and always used the large setting with no problems.Went bloody loud too.

It's probably a useful feature to have, but I don't think it's essential.

Hi and thanks for the reply :)

Will the amp have a fixed crossover level for all the other speakers, excluding the subwoofer?

At the moment for instance, my fronts and rears have a crossover setting at 68hz and the center is higher at around 75hz. I currently have my subwoofer crossover at 60hz.

I am looking at getting the 1050i floorstanders are something similiar which are 44hz-20khz

If I put them on the large setting that just means that the bass is going to the speakers as well, would just be a little worried that I would be losing some of the frequency response. As the speakers are around £350 I wouldn't want to upgrade if I couldn't make proper use of them.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
stu_d:At the moment for instance, my fronts and rears have a crossover setting at 68hz and the center is higher at around 75hz. I currently have my subwoofer crossover at 60hz.

That means you have a 'gap' in the sound between about 60Hz and 80Hz. I'd always set up the crossover points to give some overlap - with those main and centre settings I'd be running the sub up to 80H or so.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
stu_d:At the moment for instance, my fronts and rears have a crossover setting at 68hz and the center is higher at around 75hz. I currently have my subwoofer crossover at 60hz.

That means you have a 'gap' in the sound between about 60Hz and 80Hz. I'd always set up the crossover points to give some overlap - with those main and centre settings I'd be running the sub up to 80H or so.

Thanks for the info I will give it a go, just didn't want the sub to be too over-powering that is all.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'd go for that overlap, and adjust the level. And of course set the crossover on the sub itself to the max setting, and adjust the roll-off using the receiver's menus.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:I'd go for that overlap, and adjust the level. And of course set the crossover on the sub itself to the max setting, and adjust the roll-off using the receiver's menus.

Thanks,

I have the sub set to AV which I believe turns the crossover off, I'll try it on 150 just to be sure.

What exactly do you mean by adjusting the roll-off?

I currently have the sub set to around 1/4 otherwise it just booms to much and the other half hates the sound.

I have set all the other speakers up with the Radioshack SPL meter, however I haven't done the sub yet

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts