Imac to PS3 to HiFi

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Hello all. I had previously posted a query about streaming music from itunes on my imac to my hifi. I was told that it could be done via an Airport Express and that a DAC would improve sound quality. I also have a PS3 and have heard that it could be used instead of the AE. I believe there is some software called Medialink which will make this work. Has anybody tried this successfully? Thanks. D

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:
Working okay for me using iTunes 10.1 and latest PS3 3.55 update. Are you using version 2.11 of MediaLink? If so, what issues are you getting?

The connection was dropping out with a DLNA 2104 error message - however just downloaded v 2.11 of Medialink and it seems to be working ok. Cheers.

Btw what do you use for the remote? Just the PS3 controller?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Have to say, I never actually use it these days. I have the official PS3 remote control from when I used to use it as my main Blu-Ray player, but (a) since the PS3 doesn't understand Apple Lossless, I'd need to have found some transcoding software and never really bothered and (b) I have an older Apple TV that I recently bought so this does all I need now.

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
My wonderful daughters got me an Airport Express for crimbo so I'm now listening to itunes streamed from my imac and controlled with my ipad. It's working brilliantly.

Just got to add a Beresford Caiman to upgrade sound quality now.....

A

Anonymous

Drummerdave:My wonderful daughters got me an Airport Express for crimbo so I'm now listening to itunes streamed from my imac and controlled with my ipad. It's working brilliantly.

Just got to add a Beresford Caiman to upgrade sound quality now.....
I got one of these for Crimbo too. Superb bit of kit. Just add Spotify Premium.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Drummerdave:What does Airfoil do that my system isn't already doing John?

Enables you to stream any non-iTunes content via Airport Express. (BBC iPlayer radio, Spotify etc.)

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:A mini-toslink-to-toslink optical cable (or a mini-toslink adapter for a normal optical cable) from AE to DAC, and normal analogue interconnects from DAC to amp.

Many thanks John.

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
New Caiman DAC sounds great straight out of the box, but only when I had replaced the Kimber Crystal CU ic with a Cambridge Audio Pacific. With the Kimber installed the sound was thin and uninvolving but the much cheaper CA cables opened up the soundstage. In fact, I had initially connected the CA cable from cdp to amp (to do some A/B listening with the streamed music) and the sound quality was much better than I'd been used to with the Kimber. Could be because of the -11 db attenuation on the Kimber?

TRENDING THREADS