Im upgrading my sub, any ideas?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi peeps,

I'm upgrading my Home cinema equipment in stages. I've done the speakers (Tannoy Eyris) and next is the sub. Now i'm using the active sub that came with my Sony Home cinema in a box. Although the Sony package was their flagship model when it came out, it was still a h.c.i.a.b, so i'm hoping to get better sound performance from a new sub.

The sony sub goes loud, but it's just a wall of sound, with no speed or definition and it's being really shown up by the Tannoys, which are superb.

Anyway, enough waffle.

I'm looking at a second hand Rel q50. it's an old woofer now, '96 I think. Does anyone have any experience of the Rel? It's up for £235.

If the Rel is too long in the tooth, and/or has been surpassed by newer models, does anyone have any suggestions? Budget of £400, tops.

Cheers muchly, everyone.

pmarb

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi, not sure where you are seeing that a Q50 is going for £235 - but price for that on the SH market should be about £120 - 150

If you have £400 to spend then a SH REL400e or a new BK Monolith will do you nicely :) I've had both the Q50 and Q400 in the past and they were good subs for the money.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, fellas.

So, the Q50 i've seen's well over-priced. Knock that one on the head, then.

The monolith i've heard mentioned a few times on here, I'll have a look.

I'll have a look at the Arcam, too. Aesthetics don't matter to me, as the sub will be out of view.

Any other suggestions?

A

Anonymous

Ive used a REL Quake for years now, cant see any reason to change it any time soon.

Well within your budget, especially if you find a used one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts