I'm quite tempted

Just seen this. Really like Exposure CDP but the age of this model and whether the price justifies the minimal usage, it's making me hesitate.

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
Can’t you rip your CD collection on your PC, then store them on your phone for streaming? That is what I do.

I know nothing, but it seems a lot of money for a used item when you can buy a new CDP for less. Especially when there is zero guarantee. Or a used non boutique brand for a fraction of that price. Or a new CPD on clearance with a full warranty. Just my incoherent ramblings.

Reactions: WayneKerr and Gray
Can’t you rip your CD collection on your PC, then store them on your phone for streaming? That is what I do.

I know nothing, but it seems a lot of money for a used item when you can buy a new CDP for less. Especially when there is zero guarantee. Or a used non boutique brand for a fraction of that price. Or a new CPD on clearance with a full warranty. Just my incoherent ramblings.
No longer have a PC. Only use a Smartphone now.

When that CD Player was new it was over a £1000

podknocker

It wasn't worth a £1000 new and it's probably not good value, 2nd hand, at £495 and I'd be very wary of items like this. There are many CD players now, under £500 and they will sound great and have a full guarantee. I've had playback issues with new CD players and you need to wonder why the owner is selling this. It might have a minor problem playing CDs, but this could get worse, regardless of the comments about playback being perfect. CD players are the most likely things to fail, when buying 2nd hand, with many exotic models still using basic £7 Sanyo transports, or something similar. I would avoid this one. I would never buy anything 2nd hand, because you are not fully covered, if things go wrong.

Last edited:
Without digging around I can’t recall how much better the 3010 is over the 2010. But it looks a nice machine, especially as it’s presumably ’the same but better’. I’d message them through eBay to check the age, or ring Exposure tomorrow. Wasn’t there an S2 which is newer?

Half price is ok for something under 3 years, in my rough approach. 5 years or older and then about a third unless very desirable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Noddy
Without digging around I can’t recall how much better the 3010 is over the 2010. But it looks a nice machine, especially as it’s presumably ’the same but better’. I’d message them through eBay to check the age, or ring Exposure tomorrow. Wasn’t there an S2 which is newer?

Half price is ok for something under 3 years, in my rough approach. 5 years then about a third unless very desirable.
This is where my logic falls short. No idea how much of an improvement the 30 has over the 20.

Yep, they made a 'S' version and 'S2'. They are so rare to find on the used market.

record_spot

Rather overpriced at £495, think £375 might be nearer the mark. The S2 model was the more recent, and I'm not sure the Exposure was *that* great. Nicely minimalistic, but you've got a Leema CDP haven't you?

This is where my logic falls short. No idea how much of an improvement the 30 has over the 20.

Yep, they made a 'S' version and 'S2'. They are so rare to find on the used market.
I’ve done a bit of surfing, and it looks like the original (not S) is at least 20 years old. So although this looks near mint, it’s a bit rich for the age.

For an S2 (made from 2011-19 according to Hifi Engine) it would be worth considering.

Funny how yours is one of WHF best 25 ever CD players, and they thought it looked a bit plain. Yet now it looks classic and dateless to my eyes, when others look tacky and very much of their time.

I’ve done a bit of surfing, and it looks like the original (not S) is at least 20 years old. So although this looks near mint, it’s a bit rich for the age.

For an S2 (made from 2011-19 according to Hifi Engine) it would be worth considering.

Funny how yours is one of WHF best 25 ever CD players, and they thought it looked a bit plain. Yet now it looks classic and dateless to my eyes, when others look tacky and very much of their time.
Thanks. Yeah, it's roughly the same age as my 2010. He had that up for sale for about £300. I contacted him and made a cheeky bid of £250, which he accepted. That was Spring of 2020.

Think the best 25 CDPs was the CD 2010S, my one is the earlier pre-'s' version that received 4 stars in 2003/4 from WHF.

Ah, apologies, the S passed me by. But it is 5*!

View attachment 4609
My one has really good dynamics, even compared to the £1200 Electrocompaniet PC1 I owned for a while.

5 stars doesn't sway me at all. Only my amp and speakers have 5, other components have 3 and 4 stars.

The 'S' version are few and far between. But it still doesn't make clear how the 3010 compares. Very few reviews on that one.

manicm

Some here don't understand that some of us want a CD player because.... we want a bloody CD player. And streaming does not beat the sound of a good CD player IMHO, the humble CD has a vitality and solidity about it that the equivalent stream just lacks.

Having said that, does the Exposure have service support if things go wrong?

It wasn't worth a £1000 new and it's probably not good value, 2nd hand, at £495 and I'd be very wary of items like this. There are many CD players now, under £500 and they will sound great and have a full guarantee. I've had playback issues with new CD players and you need to wonder why the owner is selling this. It might have a minor problem playing CDs, but this could get worse, regardless of the comments about playback being perfect. CD players are the most likely things to fail, when buying 2nd hand, with many exotic models still using basic £7 Sanyo transports, or something similar. I would avoid this one. I would never buy anything 2nd hand, because you are not fully covered, if things go wrong.
Have you heard the CD 3010? The accompanying 3010 amp originally retailed at £1000.

The 2010 is very impressive as a all round performer. Build quality is very good, drawer is the best I've heard. It doesnt sound plasticy when opened or closed. Has a lovely quiet, reassuring sound.

Can't see why the 3010 shouldn't sound the biz. However, I agree the asking price is a bit steep but the owner might bring the price down for a serious buyer. After all it is a buyers market.

One can only ask the question.

The seller is offering a 30 days returns

richwhite08

Mar 27, 2023
Visit site
My 2c: for a limited use case I’d buy a cheap laptop to rip. Always good to have a computer around. But if you don’t want that route then eBay does have good buyer protection, especially if the listing states a returns policy. PayPal has become notoriously buyer-centric too, to the extent that many sellers don’t like using it because it’s an easy scam for buyers to claim the item arrived damaged, or didn’t arrive at all, and they get a full refund.

so buying from eBay using PayPal, I’d feel ok about protections. I’d also message the seller first to negotiate price and say it’s way too steep (if it is. I don’t know the model), agree a price, and then feel happy about it.

Reactions: WayneKerr
You can literally buy a secondhand laptop for under £100 then rip the CD
The bro-in-law is a IT whizz who works as a IT manager for Sky TV. He's given us refurbed laptops before, okay for limited use.

As my amp is analogue only I'll have to faff around buying a Dac good enough to justify the rest of my kit. Then after a few months that laptop will die.

The 2010 is built like brick outhouse and hasn't missed a beat in the 3 years of ownership. It's a 2003/2004 model which demonstrates Exposure are built very well. Of course CDPs in particular can and will wear out....

Having owned a few CDPs, 2010 the best I've owned.

Arcam CD73. Loved that player, purchased in 2005 and kept it until it died in 2020.

Naim CD5i was a disaster. The sound was fingers down a blackboard and the display had to be replaced.

Electrocompaniet PC-1, technically good but was a borefest. It killed the music.

Exposure CD 2010, dynamically the best I've owned and, so far, very reliable. Fabulously well balanced player.

EDIT - Forgot to mention my first CDP: Rotel RCD 975. Really good sound but frustrating laser and loading tray - the whole transport was naff.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS