I'm looking for recommendations for pairings--B&W and Technics

MichaelSaudio

Nov 17, 2021
Visit site
I have the Technics 1500SL-C turntable (with the Ortofon Red), and two B&W 606s speakers. I'm looking for a well-matched power amplifier for this setup that's at or below 1100 Euros.

Welcome, Michael.

Will you not actually require an integrated amplifier - that’s preamp and power amp in one box- because otherwise you’ll have no volume control?

You won’t need an amp with a special phono stage as your Technics turntable has one built in.

Where do you live, as I’m not too familiar with Euro prices? Does anything from this list appeal to you?

MichaelSaudio

Nov 17, 2021
Visit site
I believe you are correct. There is only a phono preamp with the Technics, and so, yes, I would need a pre-amp so that I have volume control access. There is a way around this, but getting an integrated amp is a solution. I have heard people remark that a system like this wants at least 100w per channel to drive the system (up to 140w per channel).

Last edited:
I believe you are correct. There is only a phono preamp with the Technics, and so, yes, I would need a pre-amp so that I have volume control access. There is a way around this, but getting an integrated amp is a solution. I have heard people remark that a system like this wants at least 100w per channel to drive the system (up to 140w per channel).
B&W recommend 30-120 wpc to drive these speakers so an integrated amplifier with 45 watts or more should have no problems with these speakers. Obviously the more you have the better but that will depend on what you have access to within your budget. Something like the Rotel A11 Tribute perhaps?

MichaelSaudio

Nov 17, 2021
Visit site
In a normal home, I doubt you’d need more than 50-60 watts per channel as they’re slightly above average sensitivity at 88dB. But if you’re a heavy metal rock fan and/or live in a mansion….
I appreciate how helpful everyone is here! No, this is for a relatively small apartment, and 85% of my collection is jazz...with some Who and Zeppelin for good measure every now and then. I'm leaning towards the B&W 606s, the Technics 1500SL-C and the Cambridge Audio CXA61. Wondering if I'll regret not having more wattage, but the extra 300 euro might better go towards an upgrade in the stylus/stands for the speakers. I prefer the contrabasso (stand up bass) to hit me, clear and punchy, right in the chest, when I listen to Eddie Gomez on a Bill Evans date.

Last edited:

MichaelSaudio

Nov 17, 2021
Visit site
B&W recommend 30-120 wpc to drive these speakers so an integrated amplifier with 45 watts or more should have no problems with these speakers. Obviously the more you have the better but that will depend on what you have access to within your budget. Something like the Rotel A11 Tribute perhaps?
I think that's a solid suggestion. I know that is a well-made amplifier...and well within budget. The CAX is pushing it for me, even with the mid-range (60wpc) price.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts