im confused about this sky EPG

1978scotty

Dec 25, 2007
Visit site
I have sky HD and have just recieved a new white card to replace the blue card with a yellow house on it.

Should this provide the neew EPG?

I have seen pics of how the new EPG menu system looks but using the new card the menu is the same as the old card. So should I be doing something about this. I have had this sky HD box since April.

Advice, opions and help much appericated, thanks.

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
The EPG is embedded into the box, not the card. It can be upgraded by a firmware flash but the card merely contains the encryption key to decode the incoming signals.

A

Anonymous

I'm in the same boat i got my sky hd about april, i got my new card over a week ago & put it in. i also thought this would mean i would get the new epg soon but i've still got the old one, bit confused about it all now.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It happens as an automatic download over the air - via the dish. It's gradually being rolled out on a box-by-box basis.

I had it, briefly, on a Thomson box - got an envelope from Sky previewing the new EPG, and a few days later it just appeared.

But then the Thomson box went phut and got swapped out for an Amstrad, so now I am waiting for new EPG again...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Has any non-Thompson box had the new EPG yet? It's been a long time coming.

I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories but it does have the feeling that Sky rolled it out to Thompson boxes in order to test it and, now that they're getting lots of returned Thompsons, will sort out all the bugs in the new EPG before rolling it out to anyone else.

Either that or they've just realised how buggy it is and that it's not ready for general issue yet.

Either way I think I'm happy to stick with the old EPG for now, it's quick and it works, and I haven't finished watching all the old episodes of House I'd need to get through before handing the box back once it gets the new EPG and goes phut.

daveh75

The new EPG was rolled out to thomson and pace boxes (not very successfully),but was found to be unstable on samsung and amstrad boxes(tested on Sky staff stb's) so roll out was suspended while SKY work on bug fixes.

Sky have been very quiet about the whole subject, and as of yet no one seem's to know when the rollout will continue/complete for the samsung/amstrad boxes.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
daveh75: The new EPG was rolled out to thomson and pace boxes(not very successfully),but was found to be unstable on samsung and amstrad boxes

I didn't think it had got beyond Thomson, and it doesn't seem to be too successful on those either, given that most Thomson owners who expressed an opinion no longer seem to be Thomson owners...

so roll out was suspended while SKY work on bug fixes.

Sky have been very quiet about the whole subject,

Haven't they just?

daveh75

Not sure if it's the way i'd written my previous post,but no, thomson boxes don't handle the EPG well at all,more so than pace boxes,though there has still been problem's with the pace too!

But,thomson boxes were flawed from the start due to the fact that inferior component's were used in their psu's.

Sky no longer use thomson boxes for new install's (now only used as refurb/service boxes)for this reason, favouring instead samsung,amstrad and pace,though pace are still pretty thin on the ground due to the recall.

A

Anonymous

I had the new Sky EPG on my Pace box and it worked perfectly but then the box was recalled and replaced by an Amstrad box. I now have the old EPG again.....

A

Anonymous

Samsung owners will likely get new EPG in next couple weeks. As happened in March before the Thomson rollout the EPG Demo is on Sky anytime again.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Well I have a Thomson 4E3006 and had it for ages and only ever had the odd lock up the I have had with all the Sky boxes I have had over the years.

I find the new EPG works well if only a little slow in responding to remote control comands, one big bonus is that with the new EPG my box now correctly reconigises my 1TB hard drive as before you had to guess how much disc space you had left.

1978scotty

Dec 25, 2007
Visit site
Spoke to sky and found one guy who seemed genuinne and helped me out with a number things. I also asked about the new EPG and he said a wait of about 4 to 5 months. So I suppose I will just, wait.

A

Anonymous

daveh75:The EPG rollout of Samsung boxes actually began yesterday! Though if you've got an Amstrad box you could well be in for quite a wait as they're being done last.....

Typical, I'm always last. The sack race at school, last in at work - but, last out of the pub too!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
daveh75:The EPG rollout of Samsung boxes actually began yesterday! Though if you've got an Amstrad box you could well be in for quite a wait as they're being done last.....

Good! I like my box working perfectly well!

A

Anonymous

I have a Samsung box and the new EPG was on it when I returned from holiday on Wednesday this week. My daughter said it appeared about Monday. Must admit I'm impressed................so far............

A

Anonymous

Gutted. I've been using and enjoying the new EPG for some time now with the added benefits of access to ITV HD but had my box replaced yesterday under warranty with an Amstrad. Having read this thread i've just discovered i'm in for a wait......

A

Anonymous

Still no EPG.
I have a new samsung that I got in May after my recently EPG-loaded box packed it in in May. Find it odd that almost a year after the thing was announced still nothing. (I know the answer is that the programmers are having trouble but hey they shouldnt announce it...very amateur hour)

A

Anonymous

Does anybody know if all of the boxes will be updated before the world cup next summer? I couldn't bear watching all of the footy on standard ITV! I have the Amstrad HD box and checked yesterday so far no joy!
emotion-45.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts