iFi Zen Blue

As Al says, surely you just try both? I have no idea which DAC would be better - I use the Zen Blue too and my CD's DAC is very definitely better, so that's what I use.
Yep, trying both is the only option.
One has the Wolfson WM8740 DAC chip and the other a ESS DAC of some description.
I don't think many will be in a position to tell the OP which will be best as its all down to personel preference.

Reactions: camcroft

camcroft

If you already have coax and RCA cables to give the comparison a bash, why not do so? If you don't (and would therefore need to 'buy to try'), maybe just go with what cable you've already got?
Luckily I have an abundance of cables. Comes with all the upgrades and they are all gathering dust. I need to stop reading cable reviews. All I buy now are the Van damme cables they are as good as any.

Reactions: Gray

camcroft

Tried it this morning with coaxial ( Amps Dac ) and RCA ( Zen Phono Dac ) and the winner is ? I have left it set to RCA analogue but with the Coaxial still plugged in because its just the flick of a switch on the back of the Zen to change to Digital and to change the amps input selection.

Gray

Those 'in the know' generalise that BB DACs have a more musical sound, compared to the more analytical ESS Sabre sound.
I'm sure many of them just pass on the theories of others.
Having said that (and I've said it before), I'm certain of 2 things:
There are those that imagine they hear differences that I don't.
Then there are others who actually hear things that I don't.
At least I don't know what I'm missing. Ignorance is bliss :)

Reactions: camcroft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts