If you were to advise one improvement

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Hi All,

I am fairly new here and getting back into sorting out my music system. I will probably ask a few questions on my way, hopefully at some stage I may be able to be on the answering side of things, but at the moment I am way behind on the tech side, compared to say 15 odd years ago when I had some idea.

A month ago I didn't know what a DAC was, or FLAC files or how a chromecast audio worked. I have set about sorting my music and system. I have approx 1300 cds that I am in process of ripping to FLAC. I had originally wanted to buy a cd player to add to current set up, but after much reading bought a cheap DAC from amazon and am going down the computer route.

I currently have an Onkyo TX-SR307 (hooked to a jamo 5.1 surround sound set up), JPW ML510 speakers, an SMSL M3 usb DAC, a Sony BDP5500. I also own a Yamaha RX-V361, pretty much all entry level equipment. I had the Yamaha set up in my kitchen just for night time radio use with the JPWs

I moved the JPWs to the sitting room with the ONKYO receiver and added the DAC. My computer files now sound pretty good, the sony covers playing cds. I realise its not the best set up, I will say though that the DAC to me sounds as good, if not better (marginally less loud though) than the on board DAC on the ONKYO. I am considering taking the ONKYO out and putting in the Yamaha, I have a feeling its audio is slightly better.

Taking into consideration my current set up, if you were to improve one component in the set up, which one would you go for first. I will eventually do an overall improvement but one step at a time.

Thanks in advance, sorry for the long post

Jason

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
nopiano said:
Depending on your appetite for risk, I'd either buy a proper CD player or a back-up hard drive or two.

Thanks for reply. I will have everything backed up.I am also into photography so have a system for backups, including an off site hard drive.

I was supposed to buy a marantz cd5000 last week but the seller pulled out last minute. I then bought that blu ray after reading the DAC was more important than the player. I have my eye on a Chord Mojo at some stage but want to improve the overall system sound beforehand, it's good, but something is lacking

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I bought the JPWs about 15 years ago. I always rememeber them being very solid. Where I live there is not much options to try before you buy, hense the sort of vague question.

I suppose I should of just asked would a stereo dedicated amp be better than a 6 year old (onkyo) and an 8 year old (yamaha) entry level av receiver for music, or can anyone see another option that may be better, thanks

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Jason, where do you live?

The first thing that I'd try would be changing / checking how you've got you're system and room funrishings set up. This is something that will cost you no money.

For the speakers, place them right in the corner. Play some music and slowly (and very carefully) move them out towards the middle of the room. At some point you should find that the bass snaps into focus. That's where you should leave them.

Also try firing your speakers down the length of the room as well as across the room.

Make sure your speakers are on good rigid stands that bring the drivers up to ear level.

Then there's room acoustics. Breaking up and absorbing bass echoes. I like to have my system in a well furnished / cluttered room. Others prefer to use dedicated bass traps.

The next thing I'd do after that would be to try some different speakers. Speakers are a highly personal choice. For example, the sort of speakers I like are the sort of speakers that most people hate (not because of how they sound but how they look). There's a very high chance that you can find speakers that you will prefer to your JMW's - especially if you go 2nd hand and keep an open mind.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Jason, where do you live?

The first thing that I'd try would be changing / checking how you've got you're system and room funrishings set up. This is something that will cost you no money.

For the speakers, place them right in the corner. Play some music and slowly (and very carefully) move them out towards the middle of the room. At some point you should find that the bass snaps into focus. That's where you should leave them.

Also try firing your speakers down the length of the room as well as across the room.

Make sure your speakers are on good rigid stands that bring the drivers up to ear level.

Then there's room acoustics. Breaking up and absorbing bass echoes. I like to have my system in a well furnished / cluttered room. Others prefer to use dedicated bass traps.

The next thing I'd do after that would be to try some different speakers. Speakers are a highly personal choice. For example, the sort of speakers I like are the sort of speakers that most people hate (not because of how they sound but how they look). There's a very high chance that you can find speakers that you will prefer to your JMW's - especially if you go 2nd hand and keep an open mind.

Thanks. This seems great advise.

I live in Ireland, stock of these things are generally small. "We can have that in a day or two" would be a norm for anything but most mainstream gear. Dublin has better options but it's almost 200 miles from where I am.

I have to stick with my current position with regard to my setup. I have a young family and space is limited. I take on board that getting the most out of hifi equipment is as much about how and where it's position is, but I think it's not badly set up.

I'm into photography also so realise throwing money at something is not always the right answer. I do think that my amp (av receiver) is lacking. A friend recently bought a denon ae720 so might try get a go off that and see if it is better

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts