if money was no object ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

£117,210 !!!!!!! -
Naim CD555 CD Player
Naim 552 Pre-amp
Naim 500 Power-amps x 4
B&W Nautilus Loudspeakers

matthewpiano

What a question!!! I would have to do lots of auditioning, but it would almost certainly be mostly Naim with a top-spec Linn Sondek LP12, and KEF Reference speakers. This is something I'm going to look into more. After all, its good to have a (very, very)long term aim.......

A

Anonymous

I was day-dreaming of something around the Sonus Faber Elipsa, but I couldn't think of anything great sounding and looking that would complement the Elipsa. Here's one that would look absolutely stunning and sound incredible too...

KEF Muons (http://usr.audioasylum.com/images/0/7438/KEF_NEW_MUON-_1002C00_EURO.jpg)

Classe CDP-202

Classe CP-700 preamp (http://www.avphile.com/2007_08/tu/Xjc02.jpg)

2 x Classe CA-M400 power

2 x Wilson Benesch Torus

... and a Meridian F1 for the beach :D

A

Anonymous

Actually, if money ws no object I'd play around and try lots of different things, probably starting second hand.

MF A370, SA470, MVX

Apogee

Xerxes

DBL

Isobarik/Naim/Naim/Naim/Naim/Naim/Naim

Townsend rock

Koetsu

Kisseki

What was the older monster linear tracking deck/arm?

Tiny wee valve amps

Krell - overated? I'd like to hear for myself!

(Would tri-amping with SA470's be OTT?)

(and does anybody anywhere have a pair of Isobariks and a Naim 12-pack?)

Lots of the old kit I used to read about and lust after when I was younger, and even sadder, and a religious reader of Alvin Gold in HiFi Answers but far too poor to actually buy anything.

Then I'd start on the new stuff and spend many happy hours in shops listening

What I wouldn't do is go out and spend the whole lot on the best system I could get straight away - no fun in that. By exploring and upgrading slowly you get to hear you music afresh lots of times rather than just once.

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Just off the top of my head...

Audio Research - Reference 2 phono. stage.

Continuum Audio labs. - Criterion turntable with Copperhead tone-arm.

Emm Labs - XDS-1 double DSD upsampling CD/SACD player.

Magico - M5 floorstanding 'speakers.

Spectral Audio - DMC-30SS line-level pre-amp.

Spectral Audio - DMA-360 series 2,mono-block power-amps.

Throw in a few MIT/Spectral cables & interconnects.

With support provided by a combination of HRS & Vertex AQ.

If my sums are correct,yours for only £210,000!

Regards.

BABUR.

jc.com

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
jimwall:I'd just hire the musicians.

How much d'you reckon it'd cost to get Hendrix back up on stage then?
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

To really trigger the M5 you'll need those Soulution Monoblocks bi-amped. Or better yet:

LINK REMOVED BY MODS - House Rules

The 360.2 are amazing but they won't bring out the best of your M5's.

Also whatever specifications states the Spectral SDR4000S Pro is still by far the most natural and most musical cd player yet.

Just heard the MIT MA-X2 interconnects and cables. Unbelievable what a cable can do. Much better than the Oracle MA on all levels.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
If money was no object I would get a different system in every room. All systems would have outstanding components in them, sometimes exotic ones but aways noteworthy ones. Different technologies will be used - electrostatic, electrodynamic, horns, active, passive... Valve, solid state... CD, hard disc, vynil... Floostanding, bookshelf, 2.1, 7.1...

A

Anonymous

PLINIUS:

P10 POWER AMPLIFIER

CD-101 CD PLAYER

TAUTORO PREAMPLIFIER

ODEON POWER AMPLIFIER

ADAM ARTIST 6 floorstanding Speakers

Jamo D 6PEX 7.1 Home Theater Speaker System

Runco CineWall CW-95DHD

Runco Signature Cinema SC-1 with DHD Digital Controller

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
SlickenSmooth:

To really trigger the M5 you'll need those Soulution Monoblocks bi-amped. Or better yet:

Also whatever specifications states the Spectral SDR4000S Pro is still by far the most natural and most musical cd player yet.

Just heard the MIT MA-X2 interconnects and cables. Unbelievable what a cable can do. Much better than the Oracle MA on all levels.

Hi S.S.,

I hear(?) what you're sayin'.The Solution 700 mono-blocks are rightly well regarded - I understand Magico's chief designer Alon Wolf tests his 'speakers with them(along with Odyssey Audio's amp's among others).

I guess i should have mentioned i was basing my selection on components that i have personally heard & those that a couple of my most discerning(& most fortunate) friends have owned or auditioned.

The Spectral amp's output power of 300 Watts RMS @ 8Ohms/533 RMS Watts @ 4Ohms/680 RMS Watts @ 2Ohms,a high & stable current supply(90 amp's peak) at such outputs,their incredibly high rise-time(<300 nanoseconds) & fast settling-time(1.5 microseconds) & ultra-wide bandwidth(DC-1MHz +/- 1dB) would be sufficient to extract the all of the Magico M5's performance potential.

Indeed.We didn't see the Magico M5's posing the Spectral Audio power-amp's any such problems when we heard them together at an invitational audio event in the US a few months ago_On the contrary.The synergy between them was - how can i put it?...Pretty damned good!

Judging by the choice of amp's in your own system,i'm sure there's no need for me to continue preaching(any further) to the converted.

Much like yourself,i also know the SDR-4000 Reference CD Processor to be a real gem of a digital disc player.But,as with all Spectral Audio products & as i'm sure you're aware,to maximise/optimise their performance they must be used with MIT/Spectral cabling.

Though,i wouldn't dismiss the latest EMM-Labs transports/DAC's & players.If you haven't already,i'd seriously recommend you demo. them.They really do have to be heard to be believed.

If you've personally heard the Solution 700 mono-blocks in an appropriate system,i'd be interested in knowing what you thought of them...Despite the fact that i've gone down the McIntosh route myself.

Regards.

BABUR.

A

Anonymous

Babur72:SlickenSmooth:

Hi S.S.,

I hear(?) what you're sayin'.The Solution 700 mono-blocks are rightly well regarded - I understand Magico's chief designer Alon Wolf tests his 'speakers with them(along with Odyssey Audio's amp's among others).

I guess i should have mentioned i was basing my selection on components that i have personally heard & those that a couple of my most discerning(& most fortunate) friends have owned or auditioned.

The Spectral amp's output power of 300 Watts RMS @ 8Ohms/533 RMS Watts @ 4Ohms/680 RMS Watts @ 2Ohms,a high & stable current supply(90 amp's peak) at such outputs,their incredibly high rise-time(<300 nanoseconds) & fast settling-time(1.5 microseconds) & ultra-wide bandwidth(DC-1MHz +/- 1dB) would be sufficient to extract the all of the Magico M5's performance potential.

Indeed.We didn't see the Magico M5's posing the Spectral Audio power-amp's any such problems when we heard them together at an invitational audio event in the US a few months ago_On the contrary.The synergy between them was - how can i put it?...Pretty damned good!

Judging by the choice of amp's in your own system,i'm sure there's no need for me to continue preaching(any further) to the converted.

Much like yourself,i also know the SDR-4000 Reference CD Processor to be a real gem of a digital disc player.But,as with all Spectral Audio products & as i'm sure you're aware,to maximise/optimise their performance they must be used with MIT/Spectral cabling.

Though,i wouldn't dismiss the latest EMM-Labs transports/DAC's & players.If you haven't already,i'd seriously recommend you demo. them.They really do have to be heard to be believed.

If you've personally heard the Solution 700 mono-blocks in an appropriate system,i'd be interested in knowing what you thought of them...Despite the fact that i've gone down the McIntosh route myself.

Regards.

BABUR.

Hi Babur,

We had a demo of the M5 and the 360's were very very good. But just when you think it's all that the M5 is capable of, the Soulution monoblocks biamped (need 2 pair of MIT Oracle MA-X speakercables, so really cost no object ;)) really opens up new horizons of the M5. The sound lingers in the space around it and seems to stay there and slowly dissolve. Magic.

The Soulution is almost invisible. It does not add anything and it doesn't take anything away. Big big stage full of details and low level details. I still prefer the Spectral amps as they add a slight lift in the mid which sounds very good to my ears. Although not as colorless it doesn't mean it's worse just depends on the listener's taste really.

MIT cables are not the best with every brand but with Spectral they do something special. You hear it. It's special. The EMMlabs XDS-1 I've not heard. But the CDSA SE was really not in Spectral's league. Too analytical and correct which means less natural,energetic and musical to my ears.

I'm really looking forward to the new Spectral DMA260. It should incorporate the new sound and latest ways of thinking of Spectral. They built a whole new chassis for it.

Regards

Slick.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Considering the various room interactions I'm dealing with I think I'd have to start with a new house in a quiet part of the countryside with a nice clean power supply and dedicated room for the stereo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts