iEast soundstream maybe not as good as I thought

robdmarsh

So perhaps I was a bit hasty in my judgement of this wireless receiver. The harshness that I was noticing on some music through my speakers is actually distortion. With female vocals it is particularly noticeable. It's also noticeable through my desktop PC speakers. The rest of the sound is very good however and if a track does not contain a lot of high frequencies it's not really apparent.

I'm wondering if the distortion I'm hearing could be an interference issue with the wireless radio signal. It's not as if my speakers cannot handle high frequencies - the same content played through my ipod hard-wired sounds fine and it also sounds fine on my desktop speakers. Or perhaps I'm hearing the real shortcomings of a £49 wireless receiver, and I would have no such problems with a Sonos or Arcam equivalent. If that's the case then I suppose it's a case of you get what you paid for.

Has anybody experienced similar kind of issues with a product such as this and is there any way to improve things?

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
your statement that you only get what you pay for, I would still expect for £50 (and 5 star reviews on amazon) to get something that a least does what it says on the box.

you say you have tried a hard-wired ipod, have you tried the ethernet option on the iEast to see if the distortion goes.

*music2*

robdmarsh

Well, I've gone from being very happy to seriously p****d off with this little box of tricks. When I went to unplug the optical cable I found that the optical out socket was broken. Maybe that's the result of spending £49.

Well, I'm now going to check out the Raumfeld connector 2. They have an 8 week return policy and are well reviewed here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr8ifL__q78&lc=z23gudwy1xaheptq104t1aokgabicjxdyngayno3ldelbk0h00410.1520433086925958

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
I bought a Raumfeld Connector in December and I'm very happy with it, the sound is excellent. I stream for my NAS and Spotify (gapless playback).

My only criticism is that it took a lot of time (2 hours or something like that) to index the files sitting on the NAS (around 1.6TB), but once is done it takes no time to start playing.

robdmarsh

Pedro said:
I bought a Raumfeld Connector in December and I'm very happy with it, the sound is excellent. I stream for my NAS and Spotify (gapless playback).

My only criticism is that it took a lot of time (2 hours or something like that) to index the files sitting on the NAS (around 1.6TB), but once is done it takes no time to start playing.

OK, good to hear you've had a positive experience. Gapless playback is a plus. I have a much smaller file collection than you on my laptop. A NAS is something I will definitely get in the future. However, for the moment I'm using iTunes and my laptop. Do you think that will work OK?

rainsoothe

Pedro said:

ouch! :)

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
robdmarsh said:
Pedro said:

OK, good to hear you've had a positive experience. Gapless playback is a plus. I have a much smaller file collection than you on my laptop. A NAS is something I will definitely get in the future. However, for the moment I'm using iTunes and my laptop. Do you think that will work OK?

I don't really know. I'm not an Apple user and I've never tried to stream from my computer...

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
Pedro said:

ouch! :)

German efficiency! :p

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Quick update:

Teufel doesn't have a desktop app, so the only way you can stream from your laptop to the Raumfeld Connector is via a third-party program.

There's Audionet RCP for example but I don't know if it works (I'm running linux on my computers).

http://en.audionet.de/apps/rcp/

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Definitely no desktop app for mac or pc. However it does stream Spotify Connect from the desktop client on my macbook, which is how it is mostly used.

It does however have Chromecast built in which may offer some work rounds. Otherwise it's third party stuff unless you use your hand held, effecyively only a 'remote' so actually not that much of an issue.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts