Ideas for a small portable studio speaker system

chrisdnb

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi all, This is my first post here but I have read up to the 1100th post on the 'KEF LS50 disappointment :(' thread and have been researching this buying decision for a couple of months now, to the point of exhaustion.

I am a Drum and Bass producer and require a system that I can take with me when I live between different locations, for example I may spend the summer in Ibiza this year. Due to the low-frequency nature of DnB, I need a system that will represent 20Hz to 40Hz at -6db, and 40Hz upwards at -3db, and perhaps even more refined above 80Hz.

I do have excellent reference headphones but sometimes when I am designing a bass instrument I experience tinnitus and loss of balance because I am unknowingly hearing under 20Hz at reference levels, so I really need a speaker system that will let me work without subsequent discomfort.

The constraints would be: a small system that I could carry in two arms, and preferably white/silver in colour, with a good aesthetic look, accepting a 3.5mm stereo input and/or bluetooth from my laptop, and a maximum budget of 3,000 dollars or 2,000 uk pounds.

My research has led me to the following combination which I'm not really 100% happy with, for example I'm not entirely convinced that the amp will properly drive the speakers, and the sub is black in colour although could be skinned/painted, and maybe the LS50s are more Hi-Fi than studio, hence I created this thread for some better ideas:

NAD D 3020 DAC/Amp + Earthquake CP8 Sub + KEF LS50

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
So sorry you had to suffer through that rant thread. *pardon*

NAD D 3020 DAC/Amp + Earthquake CP8 Sub + KEF LS50

My thoughts:

1) Nothing in that list is for professional use. Domestic hi-fi is what it is. I would be eary to lug it arround like I would pro gear.

2) Does not really fulfll your requirements for 20Hz+20khz -/+3dB flat frequency response. Some may be optimistic that your sub will augment well with the monitors but I'm a bit skeptical. Not an easy task even with much better subs.

3) It will not give a convincing SPL window without power compressions and distortion with that genre IMO. I am a d'n'b fan and I like to think I know where the physical limits are.

4) You said you wanted portable, yet you will be lugging 4 boxes and their accessories. Don't forget pads for the desktop monitors as well.

So in not so many words, the professional needs a professional gear. My vote goes for proper professional active monitors and a pocket DAC (I have the Native Instruments Traktor Audio 2, very good this little monster).

Cheers. *good*

chrisdnb

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I did begin my quest looking at studio monitor speakers, in particular the Genelec and Adam ranges, however even the 7 or 8 inch cone models seem to have a low frequency extension that only reaches 35-40Hz at -3db. Also I wonder how well a 7 or 8 inch cone would handle deep bass and treble simultaneously.

Perhaps a 3-way studio monitor is a good option, if anybody knows of any produced in a white colour, or maybe a combination of 5 inch white Genelec monitors and a separate subwoofer. And an external DAC I guess, if the monitors' DACs are significantly inferior to a dedicated unit.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Have you considered a 2.1 system for the bass depth you want?

Take a look at the system in my signature. It's the best sounding and clearest system that I've ever heard bar none. Very detailed, neutral and is a joy to listen to for hours on end without ever becoming fatiguing. It would fit your needs perfectly.

You could swap the Yamaha receiver for any other receiver with 'pre-outs'. Something like the small slimline Marantz NR1504 would be an ideal option and looks very smart.

A smaller subwoofer like one of the BK 10" ones works well with the AVI DM5's too and would be easier to carry than the AVI one.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
35Hz at -3dB is all you need (checked the Event Opals yet?). Not much musical information bellow 60Hz, mostly monobass. You can listen for sub bass with a pair of flat orthodynamic headphones (example MrSpeakers Mad Dogs) at the end of your mixing. Although I doubt you will feel the need for that once you try a good pair of actives.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Beat me to it. I was just about to say the same thing.

Hmmm. How do we know you are telling the truth? Maybe you were going to recommend the Akai Rhythm Wolf.

suspy.gif

hg

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
chrisdnb said:
I did begin my quest looking at studio monitor speakers, in particular the Genelec and Adam ranges, however even the 7 or 8 inch cone models seem to have a low frequency extension that only reaches 35-40Hz at -3db. Also I wonder how well a 7 or 8 inch cone would handle deep bass and treble simultaneously.

Perhaps a 3-way studio monitor is a good option, if anybody knows of any produced in a white colour, or maybe a combination of 5 inch white Genelec monitors and a separate subwoofer. And an external DAC I guess, if the monitors' DACs are significantly inferior to a dedicated unit.

A separate amplifier with hi-fi speakers makes little sense if you want portable. A professional active speaker like, say, Neumann 120 (A or D depending on required connectivity) is going to be cheaper, more reliable, probably more neutral, white, optional flight or soft carry case, etc...

A portable subwoofer that works down to 20Hz is going to be a problem. To hear clean tones that low in frequency requires them to be loud. That requires large cone areas and ports. The smallest Neumann woofer (too expensive) has a 10" driver with a port and is barely loud enough (click measurements on the RHS and scroll down to maximum SPL). At nearly 60lb I wouldn't want to lug it about but then nor would one want it to bounce around. Firming up on the required bass extension appears to be important.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
You've got a very respectable budget. Get yourself down to a pro-audio shop and get your earholes round some decent active studio monitors in your price range. Don't judge what you think they're going to sound like based on their paper specification. Go and really listen to some. If you need to only replay and not record, there's no need to budget more than $150-$200 on a good outboard USB audio interface, if the monitors don't have one built in (ironically it's the mid-priced and expensive monitors which do not, while some budget models do). DON'T go near a HiFi shop. It really is a completely different set of doctrines and discipline.

chrisdnb

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
The Neumann KH 120 could be the best portable option at 6kg per speaker. The low frequency extension is 52Hz at -3db however the response is very flat with a tolerance of just +-2db from 54 - 20khz, and they are available in both white and black.

The Event Opal are clearly a magnificent speaker, with a low extension down to 30Hz (raw response), but they are quite heavy at 21kg per speaker.

As somebody said earlier, I probably need to get myself to a pro-audio shop, hopefully near where I live in central London, and play my reference song through the various options.

That song is "Titan" by the Ram Trilogy which has a highly detailed sub-bass. A great song through any speakers but when played through great speakers the bass becomes very very psychological; the essence of drum and bass.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts