Ideal turntable for Sugden A21SE

John Fulwood

Feb 8, 2021
Visit site
Hi guys/girls. I am looking at turntables and have boiled it down to the Rega Planar 6 and 8.
Anyone got any views on if the 8 would be too much for my amp? I also have the off board Sugden phono stage.
Conversely, would I be short changing the Sugden with a 6?

D

Deleted member 160668

Hi guys/girls. I am looking at turntables and have boiled it down to the Rega Planar 6 and 8.
Anyone got any views on if the 8 would be too much for my amp? I also have the off board Sugden phono stage.
Conversely, would I be short changing the Sugden with a 6?
Hi,

Couple of comments from me... Firstly, you'd be better asking this question on the Sugden owners section of the Hifi Wigwam forum as there are many Suggie owners on there.

Secondly, whilst I don't use vinyl (or have the optional phono option) on my A21 Signature, from what I've read of others that do is that the option for the inbuilt one is supposedly pretty darn good. The offboard phono stage will be better again. There's a guy on the Wam with the same phono stage as you who would be able to comment with first hand experience.

Hope that helps.

Quite agree, it would be wiser to look at options other than Rega for this sort of buff even if the DG-1 is a bit too expensive.
As with any analogue front end it makes sense to by the very best you can afford.
To answer your question the RP8 would not be overkill in my opinion.

John Fulwood

Feb 8, 2021
Visit site
Thank you. I have looked at the Vertere. It also looks fantastic, but so does the Planar 8.
At the moment, I have a borrowed Rotel RP830 connected to it with one of the feet missing and a cartridge that's been on it and sat in a box for the best part of 10yrs. I needed to get a new belt for it and it arrived last Wednesday about 10 mins before I was due to head out on a business trip. I was able to play it for just a minute and it sounded gorgeous.
I'm mainly using Tidal Masters in to a ifi Zen Stream and Audiolab M-Dac Plus all connected with Chord Shawline and into a pair of Mycetias speakers (hand made by a guy that lives near me). The digital performance is great, superb imaging and soundstage. But, there was something about the vinyl that I couldn't deny.
There is also a guy near me with a business call Vinyl Groove Audio. He only does by appointment viewings. I went to see him a couple of weeks ago for a listen to the 6 and a 10, he didn't have an 8 in at the time. I might ask him if he can get hold of a Vertere to trial at his listening suite?

I will tackle the Sugden owners for advice.

D

Deleted member 160668

Thank you. I have looked at the Vertere. It also looks fantastic, but so does the Planar 8.
At the moment, I have a borrowed Rotel RP830 connected to it with one of the feet missing and a cartridge that's been on it and sat in a box for the best part of 10yrs. I needed to get a new belt for it and it arrived last Wednesday about 10 mins before I was due to head out on a business trip. I was able to play it for just a minute and it sounded gorgeous.
I'm mainly using Tidal Masters in to a ifi Zen Stream and Audiolab M-Dac Plus all connected with Chord Shawline and into a pair of Mycetias speakers (hand made by a guy that lives near me). The digital performance is great, superb imaging and soundstage. But, there was something about the vinyl that I couldn't deny.
There is also a guy near me with a business call Vinyl Groove Audio. He only does by appointment viewings. I went to see him a couple of weeks ago for a listen to the 6 and a 10, he didn't have an 8 in at the time. I might ask him if he can get hold of a Vertere to trial at his listening suite?

I will tackle the Sugden owners for advice.
I listened to these at the UK Audio show. I thought they sounded excellent and we're one of the more memorable speakers for me. Frankly astonishing value too.

John Fulwood

Feb 8, 2021
Visit site
I listened to these at the UK Audio show. I thought they sounded excellent and we're one of the more memorable speakers for me. Frankly astonishing value too.
Nick, that makes them, is really passionate, but! And I say this to his face, and he agrees - a shocking business man!! ha ha ha.
I have persuaded him to put serial numbers on them now at least, as I think there will be a growing (slowly) group of converts that appreciate the sound:value ratio. As I say, I went to listen to some equipment the other week. The reference set-up was the Rega 10, a massive Macintosh integrated and some Sonus Faber speakers. Also listened to some stuff through a network streamer into Chord TT2 and Scaler, it all worked out to be in the 36-40k region. I went home and listened to the same tracks on my system. Yes, not all the detail was there, but it was not a factor of 6 out :)
But, anyone that is spending the 10k on the SF speakers, with their fine cabinetry and leather tops would not be interested in my speakers, no matter how good they sounded. All the value is in the sound, the finish is just good. I may even sand them down this summer and get a shine on them. Having said that, they sound awesome and Nick is onto something for sure.

John Fulwood

Feb 8, 2021
Visit site
Perhaps we could keep this to the question originally posed rather turn this thread into a promo for some speaker manufacturer.
much appreciated.
Good point Al ears, I was interested in promos for turntable manufacturers.
Strange how a conversation between hifi enthusiasts went off topic, that never happens.
Anyway, now back from a business trip, I have put the Rotel I'm using up against Tidal masters and flicked between the two, using Blondie Parallel Lines. The Rotel is not good, streaming kicked it into the middle of next week. I'll take Plastic Penguins advice and try and get some other TT's to home trial.

TRENDING THREADS