Iam looking at getting into home audio

DjG

Mar 22, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone I am looking into getting into home audio,I have limited space in a small apartment.I have been looking for a few months at standmount speakers and I have narrowed it down to a few different speakers in my price range these are as follows, kef ls50..kef q 350 ...bowers and Wilkins 606..q acoustics 320i ...I would like to hear everybody’s thoughts on what amp you would use to match these speakers ? My price range is up to £1000..thanks

rainsoothe

Hi. Try to audition if you can, only your ears can decide. That being said, if it's impossible, most of those speakers might be unsuited for a small room IF you can't give them some distance away from back wall (40cm+), except maybe for the Q Acoustics, which I'm not too keen about.

For speakers, I'd look at the Spendor A1 instead (they are a bit more expensive, but maybe you'll find a good deal on a pair, especially if partnered with an amp, or take some budget away from the amp - maybe even SH. Rega Brio (latest one) is a great place to start (or Creek Evolution/Exposure stuff) and, if you want a streaming source as well, look at Quad Vena Play or (where my money would go too) a used Naim Unitiqute 2 (or first gen Nait XS if you only need amp), and perhaps the Hegel Rost.

rainsoothe

Or you could look at the active Acoustic Energy AE1 which has 2 advantages: 1. treble and bass output is adjustable, so are more unfussy about positioning 2. they have built-in amplification, which is specifically matched to the speaker. You could add a streaming pre, like the Yamaha WXC50 or the Cambridge Audio CXN and have a neat and great little system.

D

Deleted member 116933

Personally id reallocate your budget a little, q acoustics side of things is about as much as id sped at this level, Id put the rest into amp and source. Forget all in ones at this level you'll be spending again in five years.
If its £1000 for the whole lot id be looking to spend no more 200 quid on speakers if not less. You'll be surprised how good those lowly budget speakers can sound be when driven properly. Amp wise Rotel/NAD/maranzt is where id start in the £300 range and then maybe a good out board dac such as the mojo, can be had second very "cheaply" indeed £2-300.

If it just a 1K for the amp id be looking Musical Fidelity, maybe audiolab, perhaps naim nait, cambridge audio

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts