I want new speakers!!!

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

I've currently got a set of MS-814 floorstanders, but the speakers lack brightness, even though there is a damn good level of detail. I normally prefer a brightish sound, and so this is really annoying me.

So I need new speakers. I'm running either an Arcam Alpha 6 CD player or Roksan Radius 5 record player through a cambridge A5 (with a 640p phono amp for the Rok)

Now I know a lot of you will tell me that the A5 is the weakest link here, but the speakers are just not-to-my-taste, so it has to be speakers first.

I reckon I can probably get away with around the £150 mark (I skinted myself last year buying the Rok, and think that the missus will only sign off a small amount this time) plus cash for stands.

I've heard good things about the MS 902is and Wharfdale 9.1s - any suggestions? I listen to everything from Beatles to Radiohead to Borodin except maybe R&B/Country,

matthewpiano

If you like a fairly brightish sound, the MS902is are the ones to go for. They are incredible speakers for the money and will last you several amp upgrades. I've heard them with an old Cambridge A4 I have tucked away and it drove them very well, so no worries with your A5. The 902is are brilliant across all genres of music and are absolutely infectious. Just make sure you mount them on some decent heavy stands - it makes a huge difference.

matthewpiano

I have both and, whilst very impressive for the money, the S30s don't come up to the high standards of the 902is. They are very strong on soundstaging and sound surprisingly big for their size but they can lack the last ounce of detail or excitement that the Mordaunt-Shorts give. They are also fussier about positioning an ddon't like being near to boundaries - the bass gets boomy if you don't take care. I'd choose the Mordaunt-Shorts (which, as you'll see, are what I am using with my main system). They don't care what you throw at them musically speaking, and they grip on to the energy in music brilliantly. I've been listening lots today (my first day off for weeks), and they just keep blowing me away.

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I concur. I've had the MS 902is now for a couple of weeks (with Cambridge audio 540a). At first I thought they were way too harsh and bright (I almost took them back) but something happened after about 40-50 hrs running in to make them sound really smooth detailed and lush! And at £99 (at the moment) from RS they're cheaper than the S30's (which I have not heard).

matthewpiano - do you biwire your 902is? Does it make a difference do you think?

A

Anonymous

You could try the BR2s by Monitor Audio too - £150 in sales at moment.

matthewpiano

[quote user="mattc76"]
I concur. I've had the MS 902is now for a couple of weeks (with Cambridge audio 540a). At first I thought they were way too harsh and bright (I almost took them back) but something happened after about 40-50 hrs running in to make them sound really smooth detailed and lush! And at £99 (at the moment) from RS they're cheaper than the S30's (which I have not heard).

matthewpiano - do you biwire your 902is? Does it make a difference do you think?
[/quote]

No - single wired only here! I've done the whole bi-wiring thing in the past and I don't think its worth the bother unless you are actually bi-amping. Swapping those metal links for small lengths of speaker cable is a good idea though.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="mattmorton"]You could try the BR2s by Monitor Audio too - £150 in sales at moment.[/quote]

That would be my choice too. The MS 902i are fine speakers but the BR2 are much better IMO.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Cheers guys, I will try and get a demo of both the 902i's and BR2'sto see which I prefer. Only problem is that my local RS has converted it's dem room into a Plasma display. Just what you need to demo hifi eh?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts