I want a 3D Blu Ray player

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
mattjax05 said:
I'll keep a look out for the Panny then - least it will match the tv. Not calibrated (professionally) and don't think I will - I'm happy with my settings - I've set it to normal mode and just tinkered with the basic contrast etc. My only issue is IFC because I don't know if I like it - time will tell on that - as it stands I have it set to medium on blu rays and min on normal viewing.

DOH - here is another one strapped that needs converting :), without a calibration don't expect to properly benefit from better anything.

The image may appear duller to normal initially but that because you are used to seeing it bright and washed out and by the sounds of your settings really out of balance - it sounds like it will be low gamma in top range and higher gamma lower down.

Once you see a properly balanced picture you will see where the old settings were way off - you can still have a very vibrant bright image that is calibrated, using someone else's settings especially HD TV test as he will aim for a deep image with a high gamma your not used to that and the higher the gamma the more important an accurate cal is!!

IFC should def be off for blu ray and I think off full stop!! If your suffering movement issues with it off look to

- calibration sorts out loads of issues ask strapped

- blu ray player most blur badly not all do Marantz 7007

- HDMI cable, I have found some cables to help with motion despite this being a very contentious area

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
Professional modes on 50 series GT and VT plasmas (and previous generations, too) have a luminance cap, which is a pain. (This has been rectified this year.) Images will look a little dim, especially if you're used to watching using the Normal preset. (A professional calibrator will be able to get around the luminance cap by calibrating via the service menu.)

If you can't get on with the Professional mode, THX is your next best bet. Greyscale and colour are skewed toward green, but it's more accurate than the Normal mode and arguably the best you'll do without calibration using a meter.

Personally, I'd stick it out with the Professional mode and FlatPanelsHD settings. It'll take a bit of adjustment, but that's how I set my GT50 up. Raising brightness won't make the image look brighter; you'll wash out the colours and compromise black level, unfortunately.

Thanks Strapped. I'm not adverse to change and I will watch a few movies in Professional mode to see if I can get used to the picture.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
mattjax05 said:
I'll keep a look out for the Panny then - least it will match the tv. Not calibrated (professionally) and don't think I will - I'm happy with my settings - I've set it to normal mode and just tinkered with the basic contrast etc. My only issue is IFC because I don't know if I like it - time will tell on that - as it stands I have it set to medium on blu rays and min on normal viewing.

DOH - here is another one strapped that needs converting :), without a calibration don't expect to properly benefit from better anything.

The image may appear duller to normal initially but that because you are used to seeing it bright and washed out and by the sounds of your settings really out of balance - it sounds like it will be low gamma in top range and higher gamma lower down.

Once you see a properly balanced picture you will see where the old settings were way off - you can still have a very vibrant bright image that is calibrated, using someone else's settings especially HD TV test as he will aim for a deep image with a high gamma your not used to that and the higher the gamma the more important an accurate cal is!!

IFC should def be off for blu ray and I think off full stop!! If your suffering movement issues with it off look to

- calibration sorts out loads of issues ask strapped

- blu ray player most blur badly not all do Marantz 7007

- HDMI cable, I have found some cables to help with motion despite this being a very contentious area

I have found not being drunk can help with motion, though this too is a contentious area..

:)

A

Anonymous

have you seen the sony Ray player, it is a good choice for you

A

Anonymous

have you seen the sony Ray player, it is a good choice for you

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
mattjax05 said:
My Pioneer BDP-LX52 player is not 3D and I don't think I can afford to match it with a current equivalent player that has 3D.

Now do I buy a cheap 3D player circa £70 (budget Sony or Panasonic maybe) just for 3D and keep the BDP-LX52 for 2D. Or what price would I expect to pay to match my current player but with 3D.

Thanks

Quite an expensive player you have , though for 3D maybe the smaller priced Sony can suffice ?

An amazing price at Richer's though I did buy the more expensive model from them

http://hometheater.about.com/od/dvdplayerrecorderreviews/fr/Sony-Bdp-S790-3d-Network-Blu-Ray-Disc-Player-Review.htm

Have to say that the blu ray picture itself though does not look any better than it does on my Sony 370.

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Yup, been to Specsavers. Perfect vision. :) Maybe all the reviewers on AV forums & some other sites should join the queue as well. ;) Or maybe..... :?

Other Optometric services are available :) oh, and I've been making that point about "calibrating your eyes" for years :wall:

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Gone for the Sony 490. Got it cheap (under £50) with warranty too.

I was going to get the Pana 320 - Currys had it for £90 but RS wouldn't price match. Shame.

D

Deleted member 2457

mattjax05 said:

I was going to get the Pana 320 - Currys had it for £90 but RS wouldn't price match. Shame.

Why wouldn't Richer Sounds price match?

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
gel said:
mattjax05 said:

Closest store Currys had it in stock was 50 miles away. Their loss I was ready to hand over £90.

D

Deleted member 2457

mattjax05 said:
gel said:
mattjax05 said:

Closest store Currys had it in stock was 50 miles away. Their loss I was ready to hand over £90.

Didnt know about that rule! Yep, their loss.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
gel said:
mattjax05 said:
gel said:
mattjax05 said:

Didnt know about that rule! Yep, their loss.

I was shocked when they hit me with that caveat. I thought they'd welcome the price match on that Panny seem as it's old stock.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts