I want a 3D Blu Ray player

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
My Pioneer BDP-LX52 player is not 3D and I don't think I can afford to match it with a current equivalent player that has 3D.

Now do I buy a cheap 3D player circa £70 (budget Sony or Panasonic maybe) just for 3D and keep the BDP-LX52 for 2D. Or what price would I expect to pay to match my current player but with 3D.

Thanks

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

D

Deleted member 2457

New Sony one looks good:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/bdp-s5100

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
sogophonio11 said:
Havent noticed any difference in players at different price points!!!:rofl: Should have gone to specsavers!
Playing blu-rays? There is virtually no difference. You can get a cheap player that will produce a great picture. I have a relatively expensive machine (Oppo 83) but I bought that for SACD and DVD-A as well as build quality and support, not because I thought the picture would be better.

sogophonio11

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Playing blurays? Oh yes there is!! You obviously purchased your machine for music duties. And a very fine choice you made sir. No difference in picture quality? OH YES THERE IS. Two in the queue for Specsavers?:wave:

D

Deleted member 2457

sogophonio11 said:
Playing blurays? Oh yes there is!! You obviously purchased your machine for music duties. And a very fine choice you made sir. No difference in picture quality? OH YES THERE IS. Two in the queue for Specsavers?:wave:

I can see a difference - no Specsavers for me.
smiley-smile.gif

sogophonio11

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey Gel, you are the guy with the amazing LX71! I remember you from a while back:star: I still have that machine under my telly. Now i know i am in good company8) :cheers:

D

Deleted member 2457

sogophonio11 said:
Hey Gel, you are the guy with the amazing LX71! I remember you from a while back:star: I still have that machine under my telly. Now i know i am in good company8) :cheers:

God bless you too. :cheers:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Don't get me wrong, I love Pioneer, and I loved the build quality of both my BDP-320 and Kuro.

But the truth is, the only differences I have noticed between the 320 and my new Pana 120, is the Pana doesn't freeze playback on brand new and used discs, and it doesn't take an age to load blu rays or switch off.

If there is a difference in PQ and SQ, it's not massive, and is far out-wayed by the differences I have outlined above.

And I've already been to Specsavers thanks.
wink.gif

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
That Panny blu ray earlier in the thread is not at my local richer sounds so I may go for the Sony at £60.

Then I can compare with the lx52 and if no difference to my ears/eyes I'll consider flogging it BUT they only seem to sell for a nifty so I may just keep anyway.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
If DVD upscaling and unversal playback are important, the Cambridge Audio 651BD is going for a great price now.

Otherwise, I'd echo the Panny 120 endoresement (other retailers still stock this if you look around). Any money left over would be more effectively spent on a calibration, if you've not done this already.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
I'll keep a look out for the Panny then - least it will match the tv. Not calibrated (professionally) and don't think I will - I'm happy with my settings - I've set it to normal mode and just tinkered with the basic contrast etc. My only issue is IFC because I don't know if I like it - time will tell on that - as it stands I have it set to medium on blu rays and min on normal viewing.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
You should turn IFC off with Blu-rays. 24p content doesn't need extra motion processing.

Min or off works best with 50Hz TV content. Normal mode is quite inaccurate on Panasonic plasmas. You're better off using one of the Professional presets or THX. Check out the FlatPanelsHD review for Professional settings if you don't want to pay for calibration, though I'd highly recommend it, especially for 3D viewing.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Just tried the calibrated settings here: http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1337671783

It's a little too dark for me (brightness only on 1 is that right?)

My normal settings are contrast 3/4, brightness just over 1/2, colour just under 1/2 and sharpness at about 1/4

This is quite bright but for me perfect for normal viewing - do you think I should change for blu ray?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Professional modes on 50 series GT and VT plasmas (and previous generations, too) have a luminance cap, which is a pain. (This has been rectified this year.) Images will look a little dim, especially if you're used to watching using the Normal preset. (A professional calibrator will be able to get around the luminance cap by calibrating via the service menu.)

If you can't get on with the Professional mode, THX is your next best bet. Greyscale and colour are skewed toward green, but it's more accurate than the Normal mode and arguably the best you'll do without calibration using a meter.

Personally, I'd stick it out with the Professional mode and FlatPanelsHD settings. It'll take a bit of adjustment, but that's how I set my GT50 up. Raising brightness won't make the image look brighter; you'll wash out the colours and compromise black level, unfortunately.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts