I prefer Dali Zensor 1 to Dynaudio Emit M10 !

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
If you read this MathewPiano I know from your posts that you have tried out many systems and speakers, and that you have the Dynaudio DM2/6 Speakers, and quite prefered the cheaper Warfedale 220's

Its just I think my Dali Zensor 1's sound better than the Dynaudio Emit M10, The Dali's seem to have more punch and more of a 3 dimensional sound, and are more exiting to listen to ?

(I expected the Dynaudio Emit M10 Speakers to sound better overall)

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
Where did you hear them and in what context?

Firstly I don't like too much bass, and turned it down a little on the Dynaudio's, the treble sounds very good and it has more bass, but for some reason the Dali Zensors sound more lively and punchy, I tried them at home, but then again there is not much wrong with the Dali Zensors in general, as many have the Dali Zensor 3 Speakers for a little more bass, where I am happy with the Dali Zensor 1's

Like all of us we think we are missing out on something when we probably are not

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Well, you saved yourself cash :)

I think the Dynaudio is in most ways the superior speaker but probably requires more power and control than the Denon can provide.

gasolin

I feel the dali's are to bright and get agressive at high levels, i do not find the bass to loud or intrusive from the Dynaudios.

Dali zensor 1 can play loud but get's to agressive in the high and with a bass that isn't punchy,not especially deep, the sound to me gets to bright and thin, on the other hand the dynaudios can easily play loud an maintain a comfortable sound quality that makes it less fattigue, it's just loud

But if you like the dalis you save yourself some money, just feel the highs newer sounds soft and detailed at high levels (have tried the dalis with a denon dra-f107 and nad D3020 with Audioquest slip flx 14/4)

matthewpiano

I did prefer the Wharfedales with the Denon 720ae amplifier. I could hear some things the Dynaudios could do better but there was some blurring that I couldn't get comfortable with.

However, Gasolin is right. The Dyns need an amplifier that can really grip them, just like B&Ws do. I borrowed a Rotel RA-01 my Dad had sitting in a cupboard and this really provides what is needed for the Dynaudios to show how superior they are to the Wharfedales. The Rotel grips the Dyns in a way that eludes the Denon 720ae.

If you are happy with the sound you are getting and have no intention of changing your electronics Snooker, then your findings can only be seen positively. If you wish to get more from a system don't dismiss the Dynaudios, but try to hear them with something like the new Rotel A10 (£350) or the Marantz PM8005, to hear what they can really do.

gasolin

I tried the PM5005 first, after i felt my Nad C326BEE wasn't goodt enought, as i often have mentioned a bit to soft in the midrange.

Dynaudio Emit can easily handle amps like the Marantz PM8005, Cambridge CXA 60, Nad D 3020 without being being the weak link, mabye even a rega elex-r, my 85 watt pr channel is not a problem, as long as you don't play edm and the amp doesn't distort, the small emit 10/20 can handle 100 watt or more

I felt they deserved a better amp with better control, more power than the PM5005 and since the PM6005 wouldn't be enought of an upgrade to the PM5005, i got the biggest,badest,amp i could afford, the PM5005 is a better match than the Nad C326BEE and therefor i bought the PM8005

I feel the sound is very neutral no intrusive unnatural bass and no bright top that often makes speakers sound fattigue, they can handle alot of power with they amp i use and cabel,dac/soundcard ...without sounding like they midrange screams and the top get's metallic, agressive, without lossing the control of the bass, my speaker stand also have a great part of the good sound because it make the speaker perform at there best, even if the are not placed on speaker stands on the floor with alot of space between them.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:

I think the Dynaudio is in most ways the superior speaker but probably requires more power and control than the Denon can provide.

Was thinking just this.

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
ID. said:
drummerman said:

Was thinking just this.

Thanks for all the replies, I have heard the previous model DM2/6 sound amazing at a Hi-Fi exibition with Chord Electronics, so I now understand that simply getting a better speaker doesn't always work as you need the right combination of amplifier and speaker *smile*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Snooker said:
ID. said:
drummerman said:

Was thinking just this. 

Thanks for all the replies, I have heard the previous model DM2/6 sound amazing at a Hi-Fi exibition with Chord Electronics, so I now understand that simply getting a better speaker doesn't always work as you need the right combination of amplifier and speaker *smile*

Sometimes more expensive amp does mean better

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Its good that I have now tried these speakers and actually prefer my dali zensor 1 speakers, as now I don't feel I am missing out regarding better sound quality I can get out of my system, and am very happy now overall with my setup and I like the one box solution which really sounds excellent (If you have not heard one of these small systems with the right matched speakers then you may be surprised just how excellent they sound), just goes to show though how very important matching amps and speakers is to get the best sound

I still think there is a cut off point regarding money spent and the quality of a system to where any more money spent does not give "any real benefit in sound quality", and that the price point is possibly much lower than you may think

At the end of the day it is all about compromise as nothing in this life is perfect, and I am more than happy with my system, and I hope you are with yours *smile*

Snooker said:
Its good that I have now tried these speakers and actually prefer my dali zensor 1 speakers, as now I don't feel I am missing out regarding better sound quality I can get out of my system, and am very happy now overall with my setup and I like the one box solution which really sounds excellent (If you have not heard one of these small systems with the right matched speakers then you may be surprised just how excellent they sound), just goes to show though how very important matching amps and speakers is to get the best sound

I still think there is a cut off point regarding money spent and the quality of a system to where any more money spent does not give "any real benefit in sound quality", and that the price point is possibly much lower than you may think

At the end of the day it is all about compromise as nothing in this life is perfect, and I am more than happy with my system, and I hope you are with yours *smile*
About 50% of the posts here could benefit from the same observation you have made, snooker. You've found a great match, and you'd need to spend a lot more to get something significantly superior.

nopiano said:
Snooker said:

About 50% of the posts here could benefit from the same observation you have made, snooker. You've found a great match, and you'd need to spend a lot more to get something significantly superior.

How very true.

Squall Leonhart

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
gasolin said:
Dynaudio Emit can easily handle amps like the Marantz PM8005, Cambridge CXA 60, Nad D 3020 without being being the weak link, mabye even a rega elex-r, my 85 watt pr channel is not a problem, as long as you don't play edm and the amp doesn't distort, the small emit 10/20 can handle 100 watt or more

Sorry to revive old thread but why would electronic dance music be bad to use with those amps? I have just ordered PM8005 from peter tyson and I listen to many genres of music including electronic dance. Would that type of music damage hifi speakers like Emit m10? I am worried about damaging them.

Squall Leonhart said:
gasolin said:

Sorry to revive old thread but why would electronic dance music be bad to use with those amps? I have just ordered PM8005 from peter tyson and I listen to many genres of music including electronic dance. Would that type of music damage hifi speakers like Emit m10? I am worried about damaging them.
It may be a wise precaution because some types of electronic music contain extra low and high frequencies not found at those levels from, say, an orchestra. It's very easy to get over enthusiastic with the volume, until 'pop'. They're not disco speakers, but if you're sensible you should be fine.

Squall Leonhart

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
nopiano said:
It may be a wise precaution because some types of electronic music contain extra low and high frequencies not found at those levels from, say, an orchestra. It's very easy to get over enthusiastic with the volume, until 'pop'. They're not disco speakers, but if you're sensible you should be fine.

Thanks for reply. Ah so it's just a matter of not going crazy with volume. My speakers are Dali Opticon 1 and while they look like they could take a thrashing I am not going to take any risks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts