I know nothing....

Chrisjohnwright

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi all

Currently have (or will have shortly) an old school hifi, Arcam A85/P85, Marantz CD 63 SE, Missions RS6.

Other than CDs I have music on ipod, and also Spotify Premium which i listen to on ipad plugged into amp (via 3.5mm jack).

Want to also listen to internet radio.

My questions are:

1. Will Spotify (320) / internet radio from the ipad plugged into the amp give me the best quality, or will a network player improve the quality?

2. Quite keen to add a NAS drive to my setup instead of itunes tracks via ipod, so i can re rip my CDs to that using ALAC and listen without switching on the laptop. Again do i need a network player to be able to link the NAS drive to my amp?

Sorry if this sounds naive but only just getting with the programme on this stuff. Tried to have a conversation in a hifi shop today but the guy i was speaking to was too excited by the prospect of selling me a whole new system to be of any use.

Thanks

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Chrisjohnwright said:
Hi all

Currently have (or will have shortly) an old school hifi, Arcam A85/P85, Marantz CD 63 SE, Missions RS6.

Other than CDs I have music on ipod, and also Spotify Premium which i listen to on ipad plugged into amp (via 3.5mm jack).

Want to also listen to internet radio.

My questions are:

1. Will Spotify (320) / internet radio from the ipad plugged into the amp give me the best quality, or will a network player improve the quality?

2. Quite keen to add a NAS drive to my setup instead of itunes tracks via ipod, so i can re rip my CDs to that using ALAC and listen without switching on the laptop. Again do i need a network player to be able to link the NAS drive to my amp?

Sorry if this sounds naive but only just getting with the programme on this stuff. Tried to have a conversation in a hifi shop today but the guy i was speaking to was too excited by the prospect of selling me a whole new system to be of any use.

Thanks

Probably plugging in your iPad via the 3.5mm output jack would not be the best way to acheive best sound quality. It also tethers your iPad to the amp. Perhaps a better all round solution/s are either Sonos connect and a NAS or Apple Airport Express and a NAS. I believe that Synology NAS's can be configure as iTunes servers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts