I have only gone and done it.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just bought a turntable....Ahhh...brings back memories. An ERA MK6 from way back in the 70s. Had one back then with an SME 3009 II on it...god knows why I sold it but, hey, we all make mistakes.

Anyway...just got hold of the TT but now need an arm. The SME is no go due to the cost so though maybe a Rega 251/301 or similar would do the job. Will require an new armboard as the one supplied is cut for SME but very simple to replace.

Found an old BTech phono amp in the drawer so that will do to start. Not brilliant quality but enough to get me going. Upgrade is a deffo here I think.

Have a AKG P7E cartridge in the drawer as well so will use that for starters. Well rated in its day, just hope it will still work.

Now for the funny part. About 5 yrs ago I GAVE AWAY all my records.....(did I say we all make mistakes. me more than most it seems)....so.....I dont have any to play....YET.

Any advice regarding tonearms would be appreciated.

A

Anonymous

the rega rb 250 or 350 might also be a good thought and a bit cheaper plus rewire kits are available otherwise there are the jelco arms which can be found on many turntables

personally i have always liked the rb 350 though mine has been rewired

A

Anonymous

I have an old Linn Sondek LP12 in my attic ... bought for cheap from a carboot sale ... it needs a service ...

don't think I want to go that route as I will spend waaaaay too much on vinyl as I dont have any LP's ...

I also won't sell it ... my son can have it when he gets older, and if he wants to sell it, then no probs

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Wow, I wish I had your sort of attic D_S...

Get it out of the loft, onto your amp (electrically, not physically!) and look on ebay for "job lot records". Last lot I bought was 150 classical records inc boxed sets all in exc cond, for just over a tenner - obv I had to collect, but come on!!! Some are early 50s, and still sound fantastic...

But going back OT, a Rega 250 would be a good bet for about £75. Get it OL Modded for about the same, and you have a very good arm...

A

Anonymous

Rats! I have searched high and low and can't find the P7E that I was sure was in my bits drawer. So it looks like I am going to need a cart as well as an arm. Will probably settle for one of the Regas, 250/1 or 300/1 so any recommendations for a cart to go with it...up to about 100 notes pls.

One that has taken my eye so far is the Goldring 2200....what do you think.

A

Anonymous

Thanks FBSF..the ortofon was a consideration...what do you think of maybe upping the stakes and going for the blue?

How would it compare to the goldring?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

bear in mind the new ortofons a a bit brighter and bouncier than the old ones

if you prefer classical jazz and medium rock or world music then theres also grado which have a sweeter sound

A

Anonymous

Thanks one off....could you point me towards a model number for the Grado. Trouble with these carts is there are so many in a range its easy to get confused....(and for me thats not difficult at all).

A

Anonymous

id suggest the grado prestige silver or gold but even the prestige red is a good budget buy

A

Anonymous

Job nearly done. Just bought a Goldring 2200 cart and Rega 301 arm. Now....have to wait for them to be delivered then its a case of mounting the arm and cart and ...lift off.

Oh...did I mention that I dont have any vinyl yet.....D'oh

A

Anonymous

Oh well, thwarted again. Cart was ordered but waited 2 weeks and still never arrived. Got on to retailer who agreed to send another but then found they didnt have stock and anticipated at least a 2 week wait. Got refund, I have to say that the retailers service was fine....no probs there. I'm getting impatient now and want to get the deck up and running.......

A

Anonymous

Ray, I have beaten you to the land of vinyl.

My dealer had a VPI Scout with a little used Benz Micro Glider cart that had been traded in. I ended up getting a Dynavector P75MKII phonostage and not the card for the QC-twentyfour.

It sounds fantastic. I've had it for 12 days now and have played two CDs in that time all the rest has been the shiny black stuff.

A

Anonymous

Antistatic:

Ray, I have beaten you to the land of vinyl.
emotion-2.gif

Sounds about right. I am always last off the blocks.........
emotion-6.gif

Happy you're happy......

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts