I discoverd this great little DAC from the Netherlands!

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
It's been a while i posted here, i had the DacMagic when it came out and almost immediatly upgraded it internally and there was little improvement to be found. I also had a much more expensive Xindak DAC-8 after that wich was a beautiful component that also looked more expensive for it's price under 1000 euro and sounded very beautiful, especially for the midrange blossem. Still it lacked bass fundament in my system and therefore i sold it and kept the DacMagic as good bass is very important to me. I have experimeted with DAC's in CD players and receivers after that, also a highly regarded chinese MHZS CD88G CD player wich in certain circles get much respect. I thought i couldn't do better in this price range but i was wrong. Yes for it's price for abour 800 to 900 euro's the MHZS is better then some more higher price range gear with it's top loading mechanism cd transport and great DAC but when i read the review and forums of the small but well made looking Metrum acoustics Quad NOS mini DAC from the Netherlands i decided to order it, it's only 345 euro (was 299 euro when it came out) and in the review, the reviewer couldn't decide between this and it's much more expensive and modified reference DAC. When i got the DAC, straight out of the box it sounded smooth and allready better then my DacMagic, and after some burn in it really sounded balanced and a sense of cohesion that i didn't witnessed before in my system. This DAC in Quad form (there is also a cheaper Duo DAC to choose from) uses 4 DAC's, 2 per channel and becausse of the succes of this review and more then expected sales of this DAC they are developing a new Octave DAC wich uses 8 DAC's and a seperate power supply with a price between 700 to 800 euro dependent of wich power supply you get. Metrum acoustics clearly won me over and i don't have the urge to upgrade anymore as i know more expensive isn't always better, when i start listening to music i just can't drag myself to bed and turn the thing off! Great DAC for the money and certainly one to consider!! But you will need to find a way to not use USB as it is Only coax and optical in. The Website... http://www.metrum-acoustics.nl/hoofdpagina_engels.html

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Very interesting to read about this DAC. What can you further say about the sound compared to the DACMagic ? Is the sound not too soft. I already use a tube-amp. I had the DacMagic for listening but was not impressed when i compared to the internal Dac from the Imac. I brought it back to the shop.

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Sorry for the late reply, i thought this topic would never get a reply.

On the dutch forums i yet have to across someone who is dissapointed in this DAC. Allthough system matching is crucial, from my experience this more of a problem with amps and speakers and lesser with sources. The only small niggle i could find when i played this DAC straight out of the box is that the highs are a little held back but after a while it opens up and highs will be there when they supposed to be on the recording. When listening to an other DAC it just sounds not as "right" compared to the Metrum, there is not a certain frequency that sticks out, the music sounds as a whole. When comparing the Metrum DAC to an other DAC by switching from one source to the other differences are there but the biggest difference was when listening to a complete peace of music, there was more involvement, something that is hard to compare switching from source A to B all the time. The Duo DAC is a very good partner for small or computer based systems while the Quad DAC supposed to have more finesse in audiophile systems (i never compared these 2 type of DAC's personally). I wonder how the Octave DAC will be when it comes out. But i can't imagine it will be a a LOT better then the Quad DAC, but who knows.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Look and read like a very interesting product, the NOS Mini DAC "Octave"'s spec look pretty good. One thing I learn about DAC is power supply can make a big different in sound.

Thank you for the info.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts