I cant use Spikes on a wooden floor - what are the alternatives?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have Atacama Nexus Stands and a Stands Unique Rack. All this equipment has spikes on its feet. I cant put the spikes onto a new Oak Floor since the damage to my floor and me relationshipo with my wife would be too much to bear. What are the alternatives for isolating these items on the floor without damaging the floor please?

Thanks, Andrew.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
andrew_m_rose:
I have Atacama Nexus Stands and a Stands Unique Rack. All this equipment has spikes on its feet. I cant put the spikes onto a new Oak Floor since the damage to my floor and me relationshipo with my wife would be too much to bear. What are the alternatives for isolating these items on the floor without damaging the floor please?

Thanks, Andrew.

You can get little cones for the spikes to rest on...
Just google "Speaker spike cones", and you'll get some alternatives...

Or you can use 10p pieces like I used to, or remove the spikes and use blu-tak.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
If you are going to use coins, strike each coin in the middle with a centre punch (or 'dot punch') and hammer to prevent the spike from slipping around. It will have its own little indentation to rest securely in.

Also most hardware shops will have a range of little self-adhesive felt circles (normally for use on the ends of table and chair legs). You can stick them on t'other side to stop even the coins from scratching the floor. (Or use Blu-Tack)

PMT65880.jpg

A

Anonymous

Sounds like a good case for the Tesco Finest Worktop Saver underneath the speaker stands. I have these under my Super Dreads and they are the dogs nads. Saves the floor but the improvement to the sound is very very good.

A

Anonymous

chebby:If you are going to use coins, strike each coin in the middle with a centre punch (or 'dot punch') and hammer to prevent the spike from slipping around. It will have its own little indentation to rest securely in.

Good tip. I actually use 1pences with the head facing down. That way the spike presses into one of the 'portcullis' grid indentations.

jules.

A

Anonymous

Just for info...

When I bought my speakers I asked the dealer to throw in some insulating bases for spiked speakers, as I've got a wooden floor. I've tried the speakers (MA RS6s) both with spikes on the bases supplied, and without spikes on the rubberised feet fitted to the speaker.

The differences were surpisingly great - with spikes and stands the bass no longer rattled through the floor and is more pronounced. The sound is more homogenous through the tonal range, whereas without spikes the bass end was curiously detached from the rest of the sound. Most interestingly, it has also toned down the treble end slightly.

I can't remember the brand I'm afraid - not at home at the moment - or how much they would cost (certainly not very much), but they would be worth the money if I was to have paid for them.

A

Anonymous

I recommend a bit of DIY.

Get yourself some correctly sized quality (not crumbly) paving/granite slabs and some thick felt like material (of any colour or pattern of your choosing). Wrap the slab up in the material and stich it tight so you have a nice looking, heavy lump you can place under your speaker stands that won't damage your floor but maintain a decent (perhaps even better than before) sturdy speaker mount.

You could even do them in pink, to please the missus;)

The other option of course is a cross section slab of oak, to go with the wooden flooring, get it smoothed up and varnished and voila! that's gotta look good on laminate flooring if you get the wood colour right...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts