hybrid integrated amp

May 19, 2015
Visit site
I read with great interest the review of the Pathos classic remix amp which combines tube valves with transistors; I would like to khow if the two valves need to be replaced and if so after how many hours of use.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I can't give you a number of hours.......maybe a call to Pathos or a Pathos dealer.....but "normal" valve life on the preamp stage (which is longer than on the power amp stage), is long enough not to be an issue.

FWIW. It's a brilliant choice of amp.

Other options are Croft, Unison Research Unico, Audio Analogue Settanta Rev 2.0 and Peachtree (Tube (switchable) / Class D)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
Or if valves are an issue, try a Class A amp such as Sugden, or a second hand Accuphase E560 as advertized in HiFi for sale... soarly tempted by that one myself.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Mac, just get it.....life's too short! *diablo*

You buy your new Kefs first!

Seriously though, I am tempted, but I'm really not sure if I want to go back to having a hot running amp that uses a lot of juice.

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:

They got under my skin a bit, in the same way that the 35i did....but patience is the name of the game here.

Macspur said:
Seriously though, I am tempted, but I'm really not sure if I want to go back to having a hot running amp that uses a lot of juice.

Mac

Nobody understands better than me on that score.....but I don't have it on all day

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:

They got under my skin a bit, in the same way that the 35i did....but patience is the name of the game here.

Macspur said:

Mac

Nobody understands better than me on that score.....but I don't have it on all day

That's it... I have it on every evening and most weekends and because my listening room is small and gets very hot in the summer, it used to put me off using the Masterclass.

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
That's it... I have it on every evening and most weekends and because my listening room is small and gets very hot in the summer, it used to put me off using the Masterclass.

Mac

Have you seen this: http://www.audiodrom.cz/en-version/356.html

This is taken from the conclusion:

"I believe that I sufficiently expressed that the Accuphase E-560 might be one of the best integrated amplifiers on market today. With its 10 thousand euros price tag it is not cheap amplifier, however, and there is fierce competition........However, for those who consider buying the substantially cheaper Accuphase E-460 the message is clear: the cheaper Class-AB amp is audibly flatter and less involving and cannot compete."

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Patrick lee kin seng said:
I read with great interest the review of the Pathos classic remix amp which combines tube valves with transistors; I would like to khow if the two valves need to be replaced and if so after how many hours of use.

I have read that in general pre-amp tubes last for some 5000 hours. If that's enough for you ?!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:

Mac

Have you seen this: http://www.audiodrom.cz/en-version/356.html

This is taken from the conclusion:

"I believe that I sufficiently expressed that the Accuphase E-560 might be one of the best integrated amplifiers on market today. With its 10 thousand euros price tag it is not cheap amplifier, however, and there is fierce competition........However, for those who consider buying the substantially cheaper Accuphase E-460 the message is clear: the cheaper Class-AB amp is audibly flatter and less involving and cannot compete."

You are a very naughty man!

According to that write up, they don't think it gets overly warm... hmmm

Expect it's gone by now.

Nac

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:

Expect it's gone by now.

Nac

*diablo*

I think it's still there: http://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/moreinfo-2.php?prod_title=Accuphase_E_560&prod_id=26388

*diablo* *diablo*

Buyer beware. There are known to be a few grey imports in the UK. I'm not saying this is one, but I'd be quite wary of buying a nearly new Accuphase E560 after my own experience.

*unknw*

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:

Expect it's gone by now.

Nac

*diablo*

I think it's still there: http://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/moreinfo-2.php?prod_title=Accuphase_E_560&prod_id=26388

*diablo* *diablo*

Buyer beware. There are known to be a few grey imports in the UK. I'm not saying this is one, but I'd be quite wary of buying a nearly new Accuphase E560 after my own experience.

*unknw*

Sound advice Matt... I really would rather buy from an official dealer, but it is tempting still.

Mac

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
Sound advice Matt... I really would rather buy from an official dealer, but it is tempting still.

Mac

If it is legit, there should be a trail that leads to a dealer, who can then give confirmation.

exactly... I did ask the seller where he bought it from, but failed to answr me

I've seen another one for sale this evening from a second hand dealer, so have asked for a home demo.

Mac

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Macspur said:
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:

Mac

If it is legit, there should be a trail that leads to a dealer, who can then give confirmation.

exactly... I did ask the seller where he bought it from, but failed to answr me

I've seen another one for sale this evening from a second hand dealer, so have asked for a home demo.

Mac

As Cno says, it should be possible to provide a paper trail, especially given that the unit will have a serial number.

Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts