Humax HDR 2000T 500GB PVR - Is this any good?

JDF2012

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Humax HDR 2000T 500GB PVR - Is this any good?

I was thinking of buying this from here:

http://www.coopelectricalshop.co.uk/Humax-HDR-2000T-Black-500GB-Freeview...

to finally replace my old VCR. Is it any good? I did not want a FREESAT box.

Also can you can you backup recordings from it on to a DVD Recorder or Memory Stick?

Opinions please
smile.png

Thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I have the Humax DTR-1010 YouView box - this comes with either 500 GB or 1 TB disks, and there is another version (the DTR-1000) which is a bit cheaper and has a different fascia.

The advantage of the YouView box is you can scroll 7 days backwards in time in the guide to find something you missed and, if it's available on catchup, just click on it to play it. It will then automatically go off to the internet and find the program, saving you the hassle of trying to search through programs by typing in names using the remote control through some portal. It also has an iOS and Andriod app that allows you to view the guide when you're out and about and actually set things to record from anywhere - very useful if you've left the house and forgotten to set your fave program to record.

Unfortunately, I don't think any of the modern PVRs allow you to backup programs to DVDs or memory sticks - there are some, but it involves some fairly complicated hacks. If you have a DVD recorder, you could do it by plugging any PVR into it with a SCART cable, but you won't get HD. For that reason, I'd recommend looking at getting a 1 TB hard drive in whatever you get - it gives you plenty of room for HD recordings without worrying about running out of space.

JDF2012

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I was told you could back up to a USB Drive using Foxy (by Raydon. I was also told it works on the HDR 2000T.

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/foxy-an-hd-recording-backup-utility-for-the-hdr-fox-t2-now-released.240/

daveh75

JDF2012 said:
I was told you could back up to a USB Drive using Foxy (by Raydon. I was also told it works on the HDR 2000T.

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/foxy-an-hd-recording-backup-utility-for-the-hdr-fox-t2-now-released.240/

Yes but its a third party hack, as prof mentioned.

You won't find any end user PVR that allows backup/transfer of HD recordings 'out the box' down to broadcasters demanding HD content is copy protected

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
professorhat said:
The advantage of the YouView box is you can scroll 7 days backwards in time in the guide to find something you missed and, if it's available on catchup, just click on it to play it. It will then automatically go off to the internet and find the program, saving you the hassle of trying to search through programs by typing in names using the remote control through some portal. It also has an iOS and Andriod app that allows you to view the guide when you're out and about and actually set things to record from anywhere - very useful if you've left the house and forgotten to set your fave program to record.

Ooh!

Then that's what i'm going to get when the two year JL warranty on my Humax runs out :)

Does it also still have the 'portal' so I can browse iPlayer normally without always having to go via the EPG ? (Like I have on my present Humax.)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yup, you can still go into each of the different catchup players individually (BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4OD and Demand 5), or you can look at different genres of programmes or there's a general Search facility, where you can type in a name and search the EPG plus all the catchup services. There's also players for things like Dave, UKTV, Really etc. plus the Sky Now TV and Sky Store apps as well.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
This is the one I have - it's a bit more expensive unfortunately, but is the standalone version of it (it's £219 on Richer Sounds - see above link). However, this thread on the YouView forum seems to suggest the core YouView services will still work on the BT box, even without BT internet.

daveh75

It will work, you just wont have access to the BT stuff.

This is why im not a fan of YV. You got the retail version, the BT version, the TT version, and a Plusnet version on its way, and whilst they all have the core services, they have different add-on services.

It just makes for an inconsistent confusing mess of a (and completely unnecessary, frankly) platform

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I think I might hold out for 'Freeview Connect'...

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2014/02/10/bbc-channel-4-itv-launch-freeview-connect-service-smart-tv-s

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/feb/09/bbc-channel4-itv-catch-up-freeview-connect-smart-tvs

http://informitv.com/2014/02/10/youview-snubbed-as-broadcasters-back-freeview-connect/

... it seems that all is not well at YouView and besides, I don't want something in the living room that BT can control (upgrades/downloads/'bricking' etc.)

I am also uneasy about the past and present associations with Alan Sugar, Richard Desmond (yuck) and the current chairman who is also chairman of Carphone Warehouse and Talk Talk.

JDF2012

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
daveh75 said:
JDF2012 said:

You won't find any end user PVR that allows backup/transfer of HD recordings 'out the box' down to broadcasters demanding HD content is copy protected

Could you backup/transfer non HD stuff? Sorry but most of this PVR stuff is all new to me lol.

I only have have a limited budget as it was money i got for Xmas.

daveh75

JDF2012 said:
daveh75 said:
JDF2012 said:

Could you backup/transfer non HD stuff? Sorry but most of this PVR stuff is all new to me lol.

I only have have a limited budget as it was money i got for Xmas.

Yes. You can backup SD recordings to USB stick/HDD, you would need foxy for HD though.

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
I also have the same YouView box as the Professor using TalkTalk broadband, 500GB and would highly recommend it. I bought mine from RS at £219.

you don't need BT broadband at all - the only difference is the TV that comes with the package e.g. I would have to pay a little extra for BT Sport if I wanted it (I don't)

might be be a daft question but why do you want to back-up recordings? This is my third Humax box and I've never had a problem with losing recordings at all - that's the whole point with a PVR, you don't need to back up anything.

JDF2012

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
HDNumpty said:
I also have the same YouView box as the Professor using TalkTalk broadband, 500GB and would highly recommend it. I bought mine from RS at £219.

you don't need BT broadband at all - the only difference is the TV that comes with the package e.g. I would have to pay a little extra for BT Sport if I wanted it (I don't)

might be be a daft question but why do you want to back-up recordings? This is my third Humax box and I've never had a problem with losing recordings at all - that's the whole point with a PVR, you don't need to back up anything.

I cant afford a Youview Box lol. I have unlimited Broadband from Plusnet.

Its not a daft question about back up. I just thought what if you want to keep a film say or a Documentary for yourself such as people did with Video tapes.

:)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
With a 1 TB box, you'd probably have more than enough room to store these things long term - I have a number of films, plus series 3 of Sherlock (till the Blu-ray comes my way) plus of a load of other stuff I've recorded and not watched yet, and I still have 71% free. 90% of everything I record is in HD as well. However, if you definitely want to be able to backup to a PC, I think that Humax will be your best option.

The "logic" that most content providers have is, if you're able to record a film / TV show on to a PVR and then copy this off to your computer, it's then a very easy process to upload this to a file sharing site and it's off round the internet. This of course wasn't an issue with videos. They therefore request manufacturers to prevent copies being taken, espeically HD versions. The fact that this measure merely prevents consumers from accessing content how they want to, and does nothing to prevent the above happening seems to have passed them by. But that's their "logic".

JDF2012

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
professorhat said:
Any one you like, but this one is a good example...

The point I'm making is, 1 TB gives you the space to keep programs long term, whilst still having plenty of free room for general recording.

I looked at the one but while its good the nearest Richer Sounds to me Edinburgh and Glasgow according to the website check dont have them.

It seems to be expensive form other sites.

I got a Email reply back from Humax and its what you all said you can backup unless its in HD which is encripted as was stated.

TRENDING THREADS