HUMAX FREESAT HDR VS SKY HD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just about to press 'checkout' on Amazon for a Humax Freesat HDR and had second thoughts.

OK, so £255 is a good price for the Humax but Sky HD would cost me, (correct me if I'm wrong), approx £50 for the box, £10 for a Sky+ sub and £10 for a multiroom sub, (as I already have a Sky HD box in another room).

I only want to access the free to air HD and SD channels.

If I go with Sky, it would initially work out cheaper than Freesat: around 10 months to equal the cost of the Humax. Quite a while.
Or do I go with Freesat and enjoy HD for a higher initial outlay?

A

Anonymous

I don't have Sky, so I can't comment on their service, but as I understand it if you go for Sky+ and then at some time cancel, the box reverts to a basic system and you lose all the benefits of + including access to any programmes you've recorded.

I'm on a limited income and keep my regular outgoings to a minimum so the Humax was my choice. I archive the recordings to an external Hard Drive (not the HiDef ones) and can watch them either through the Freesat box or on my Laptop. I also find that any recordings made on the Freesat look better than the original broadcasts which seems rather odd, but I can see the difference. That apart I get all the benefits of pause live tv and one click series recording.

The Freesat channels are quite enough for me, although I agree Sky has a much better choice, but as I only watch a couple of hour of tv a day I couldn't really justify the Sky subscription.

A lot of people comment on the lack of sport on Freesat, but as I watch very little it's not a problem. The sports I most enjoy seem to be well catered for via the Red Button service on Freesat.

Not sure this helps, but I've had my Humax since they first went on sale and have had no trouble with it at all.

Freeview isn't available where I live and nor is cable, so Satellite is the only way I can get digital tv.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

£49 price for SKY+HD is only for the first box in the house. As you already have an HD box, you will be asked to pay more.

Unless you haggle with them and complain that you have been a subscriber for years etc...

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

daveh75:As cofnchtr say's the £49 offer only applies to the first box. Additional (mult-room) HD boxes cost £199.

Ah yes, but then there is good old Ebay.

daveh75

PiperUK:daveh75:As cofnchtr say's the £49 offer only applies to the first box. Additional (mult-room) HD boxes cost £199. Ah yes, but then there is good old Ebay.There is alway's that.But it's still gonna cost you £240 a year in sub's,which seems a lot to me,as you say you only want it for the FTA channels.

A

Anonymous

daveh75:PiperUK:daveh75:As cofnchtr say's the £49 offer only applies to the first box. Additional (mult-room) HD boxes cost £199. Ah yes, but then there is good old Ebay.There is alway's that.But it's still gonna cost you £240 a year in sub's,which seems a lot to me,as you say you only want it for the FTA channels.

Yep, although I have heard stories of people getting free Sky+ recording capability.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts