HRT Microstreamer..can it be used between Imac and Active speakers?

kamanetzki

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Hi

I have Aktimate Active speakers connected to my computer.

1. How does an HRT Microstreamer DAC connect to this system? (I don't use headphones)

2. Will it significantly improve the sound of my system? I mainly listen to classical via Spotify or via I-Tunes where I've downloaded CD's.

Thanks

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Do you have the Epoz speakers, if so they are not active but powered. The HRT should fit between your computer and the speakers. Now you can either connect it with a usb cable or if your computer has a toslink socket out then use that, its usually on the back of the computer, you will have to reset your soundcard settings. Will it improve your sound, well that depends on what soundcard you are using.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
Now you can either connect it with a usb cable or if your computer has a toslink socket out .

It is a USB connection from your iMac and it is USB powered. (No Toslink BigH. The HRT is USB only)

USB in one end (from computer) and 3.5 minijack to 3.5mm minijack lead from the fixed output on the HRT to your Aktimate's 'aux' input.

I can't say whether it will be an improvement or not (compared to just a 3.5mm lead directly into your iMac) having never used one. But it should be and I think it's well worth trying.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/hrt-microstreamer

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Chebby for clarifying. I gather the Apple dacs are fairly good so it may not be any better than what you have now, only way is to try it out, if you buy online you can return within 7 days for a refund.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Definitely a case of 'try before you buy' with this imo.
'Rubbish' is too kind a word to describe the sound from my old Toshiba P350 Windows laptop and most AM radios bettered it (ok maybe not but you get my drift).
But the SQ from my 2011 Mac Mini was so good right out of the box that I probably wouldn't even have bought a separate DAC had I not received the DAC as a long-service award from my employer. Yes my HRT II+ does sound better than my Mac Mini: a more open, airy sound which is less veiled. But if I'm being honest it's not imo £300 better, unless I'm expecting too much from £300.

Tacty

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Yes my HRT II+ does sound better than my Mac Mini: a more open, airy sound which is less veiled. But if I'm being honest it's not imo £300 better, unless I'm expecting too much from £300.

it's a complicated story with those dac's...a friend of mine bought hrt thinking about upgrading sound quality and later found out how built in dac in his yamaha av receiver sounded better than hrt ( in his own words)..,so go figure...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts