How to upgrade a basic system

What size room are you listening to this system in?
How have you got speakers set up?
The Diamonds shouldn't need a subwoofer although the Ceol has a subwoofer out you shouldn't need it.
If big room you could look at some efficient floorstanders

chris661

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
It sounds decent but isn't quite a proper system.

Sorry Jim, but that isn't particularly informative. Are you looking for a particular "wow factor"?

How's your room positioning? The equipment you have should sound pretty decent when set up correctly. ie, on stands a reasonable distance from the walls (to cut down on near reflections), symmetrical with the room, and fed with decent source material.

I'd suggest that adding a subwoofer to fill in the lower octaves might help, but subwoofer integration is something that (IMO) requires a measurement mic and an afternoon of messing around. The speakers are only 5"s, though, so a subwoofer certainly wouldn't be a bad thing.

Chris

JimTT

Nov 27, 2019
Visit site
Sorry Jim, but that isn't particularly informative. Are you looking for a particular "wow factor"?

How's your room positioning? The equipment you have should sound pretty decent when set up correctly. ie, on stands a reasonable distance from the walls (to cut down on near reflections), symmetrical with the room, and fed with decent source material.

I'd suggest that adding a subwoofer to fill in the lower octaves might help, but subwoofer integration is something that (IMO) requires a measurement mic and an afternoon of messing around. The speakers are only 5"s, though, so a subwoofer certainly wouldn't be a bad thing.

Chris

Basically my dad had a pair of massive Wharfdale W4 speakers attached to a not expensive seperates system and it sounded a lot better, much more natural and fuller, than my little set up. It sounded great - I just don't have space for them sadly. I just want to get closer to that. The music

The speaker positioning is poor - they're definily too near the wall - 13cm (I know it's shocking). I'm in a tiny flat you see. Perhaps stands and in a bigger flat are the answer! Thanks Chris

JimTT

Nov 27, 2019
Visit site
What size room are you listening to this system in?
How have you got speakers set up?
The Diamonds shouldn't need a subwoofer although the Ceol has a subwoofer out you shouldn't need it.
If big room you could look at some efficient floorstanders
A tiny room unfortunately. I'm getting the impression I'll have to just stick with it until I move somewhere bigger. It;s still quite good so it's fine. Thanks for your help.

D

Deleted member 108165

As others have said this is not a bad system. If not done already get your speaker positioning set-up correctly, equilateral triangle with your listening position at the apex and tweeters at ear level and see if this helps.

JimTT

Nov 27, 2019
Visit site
As others have said this is not a bad system. If not done already get your speaker positioning set-up correctly, equilateral triangle with your listening position at the apex and tweeters at ear level and see if this helps.
Thanks Doug. I think you're right - and everyone else. My speaker positioniong is poor. They're far too close together. I simply need a bigger flat!

JimTT

Nov 27, 2019
Visit site
Just want to thank everyone for their input. I tried moving my speakers further apart - as they are only 50cm apart. Instantly the sound fills the room a lot more. That's what I wanted. I wanted the music to envelop me! Thanks everyone - I know next to nothing about hi-fis.

D

Deleted member 108165

Just want to thank everyone for their input. I tried moving my speakers further apart - as they are only 50cm apart. Instantly the sound fills the room a lot more. That's what I wanted. I wanted the music to envelop me! Thanks everyone - I know next to nothing about hi-fis.
It's all trial and error Jim, we've all been there :) Keep playing with the speaker placement and get those tweeters at ear height if you can so the central stereo image is where the vocals come from. Getting it just right can reap massive rewards for the listening experience, but you have to live with it and at times the perfect placement is not ideal for a lounge environment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts