How to spend 350 pounds?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a tiny budget of a 350 for the amp, cd and speakers. I thought that the easiest way to spend it is to buy CA340 set with some bookshelf speakers from Richer Sounds.

But... I found some posts on the forum, that maybe it's better to go for used kit. Bargain amps like Sensui for under 100 quid, probably some floorstanders as well. I can't listen to the systems this way but I found this forum very helpfull regarding sonic match, pros and cons of the components.

I am interested in your views. Is is worth to play with used stuff or with this money it is safer to buy new kit "ready to go".

Thank you

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
mordaunt short 902is could be worth a look £119 i think

could you not spend the rest off the budget on the amp i think marantz do some nice amps at that price point and maybe use an old cd or dvd player to spin your discs on untill you can build up your funds

just an idea probably others will have more of an idea on how best to spend your funds

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
just had a look on the rs sight

marantz 5003 cd player £129 (clearance)

marantz 5003 amp £149 (clearance)

tanoy f1 speakers £79

total £357

dont no how good this lot would sound together but im sure ive heard good things about all off them

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i would definitely go for 2nd hand kit, my own personal choice would be to stay clear of floorstanders at that price. you could probably pick up cambridge 640 cdp and amp with wharfedale 9.1 for your budget, i know from experience it will slay a similarly priced "mini system", in fact i had a 600 quid denon system and the 640's and 9.1 blew it away. you might be able to get cables and speaker stands as well, without blowing your budget to bits.

T

the record spot

freeware:
I have a tiny budget of a 350 for the amp, cd and speakers. I thought that the easiest way to spend it is to buy CA340 set with some bookshelf speakers from Richer Sounds.

But... I found some posts on the forum, that maybe it's better to go for used kit. Bargain amps like Sensui for under 100 quid, probably some floorstanders as well. I can't listen to the systems this way but I found this forum very helpfull regarding sonic match, pros and cons of the components.

I am interested in your views. Is is worth to play with used stuff or with this money it is safer to buy new kit "ready to go".

Thank you

Got my Sansui AU-217 for £33 delivered, my Mission 752s for £80 (collected those), both off Ebay and my CDP new for £300. Total cost for a top class sound, or at least one I consider top class, £418. It'll cane anything at the price and plenty higher.

In your case, you could try the Marantz SA7001, which is often available new on ex-dem for under £300, if you prefer something that's less neutral and more coloured, seek out something else on ex-dem. The BADA marketplace is a also good place to go as is Gumtree.

£350 is more than enough to pick up some great kit.

A

Anonymous

the record spot: Got my Sansui AU-217 for £33 delivered, my Mission 752s for £80 (collected those),

I must admit that after one of your previous post and your signature my concerns began. How can I compare Sansui and Missions with CA 340 cd, and CA 340amp? What
about Marantz "clearance" 5000 series? I know that price can match but
sometimes sound quality is poorer. I have no experience with this kits.
I have auditioned Marantz 6002/6003 but it's over my budget.

A

Anonymous

pioneer A400 amp (£100)

Marantz CD 63 MKII K1 signature (£130)

a good set of used mission speakers (£50)

silver high breed interconnect-new (£30)

silver high breed speaker cable-new (£40)

you will have a pretty decent system (you may get the marantz and pioneer a bit cheaper)

T

the record spot

freeware:
the record spot: Got my Sansui AU-217 for £33 delivered, my Mission 752s for £80 (collected those),

I must admit that after one of your previous post and your signature my concerns began. How can I compare Sansui and Missions with CA 340 cd, and CA 340amp? What
about Marantz "clearance" 5000 series? I know that price can match but
sometimes sound quality is poorer. I have no experience with this kits.
I have auditioned Marantz 6002/6003 but it's over my budget.

Google Mission 752. Likewise Sansui's AU-n17 series range. How can you compare? Tricky I know, but I was in exactly the same boat. You can read up on here for a start, you already know what the sound of the CA kit is like presumably, so the same applies, but with a little more legwork re: any older kit you care to choose.

You've got the budget and you wanted to go down the used route, or at least opted to consider that (a smart move IMO). Here's my take on the two if it helps:-

Mission 752 - wonderfully lucid floorstander, originally retailed for £550, this is the original, pre-Freedom version with the mesh dome tweeter. Not as harsh sounding sounding as you might typically expect, it's got great balance, very detailed and lovely top end. Bass is controlled, but with the right kit, weight and lifelike. Partner with care though and it-s bi-wireable. Picked upa 5 star review in WHF when it came out in both this and the Freedom version. IMO, the 75 series was Mission's best of the last 20 years and arguably longer.

Sansui AU-217 - probably coming up on 30 years old, I came on to this brand after some years utter ignorance thinking they were just a cheapo manufacturer turning out duff kit in the late 80s and 90s. turns out their hi-fi pedigree of the late 70s and earlier is one many would kill for today. This amp is near the entry-level for the range (after this you have 317, 517, and 717 all with varying specs). The 217 is a 30 watter, very musical and partners these components incredibly well - at least to my ears. Sound quality is very contemporary - expect a punchy, crisp and bouncy sound out of this one, a very balanced sound with good bass and excellent build quality. It's a 30wpc amp, though a mark II version came out later and delivered 40wpc in 8ohms.

What are your concerns about my recommending older used kit? Sound quality? Trust me, SQ is right up there for me and always has been. The Missions went for £550 in their day and they're more than capable if you find some in good nick; they come up all the time and will cane what you can buy for the same money new now.

Some technology has come on leaps and bounds, but good kit is good kit irrespective of age. My current amp replaced a Marantz 6010-KI last month and the performance is better (IMO), albeit slightly. I can wholeheartedly recommend these two items but obviously, you have to consider listening to them too and that's always going to be a problem buying used where you might not have the chance to listen beforehand.

Do some background research of your own though and it can pay off in grand style.

A

Anonymous

dim_span:
a good set of used mission speakers (£50)

Any sugestions about good set of missions? Which models should I look for?

A

Anonymous

Sansui AU-217 - probably coming up on 30 years old

excellent amp and a steal at £33! ...

if you shop on ebay and are patient you will get bargains ... I paid £275 for my Pioneer SA-9800 (the going rate at the moment so not a bargain) and in mint condition .... I would have to pay a lot of money to find better .... waited 3 months before I found that one

A

Anonymous

here is a pioneer A400 on ebay that has been listed incorrectly (seller has misspelt and stated Pioneeer in his title ) .... seems ok ... item 120479600961 ... might sell for cheap

matthewpiano

The Sansui amps are superb - the 217 that RS has is a fantastic buy. Also worth looking out for AU2900 and AU3900 which have a fluid and almost valve-like quality to their sound.

The JVC kit is incredibly under-rated and you can find some bargains. The A-S5 is an excellent amplifier and often comes up on Ebay, or if you fancy something very different the JR-S301 receiver I'm currently playing with sounds stunning.

dim_span's Pioneer A400 suggestion is also spot-on. Some of the earlier Pioneer amps are well worth exploring - the SA-508 is a brilliant little gem with a very lively sound.

In terms of modern amps, the NADs are very hard to beat. A used C320BEE or C325BEE would make an excellent buy.

Speaker-wise, with the older kit I'd be looking at late 80s Mordaunt-Shorts (like my MS25Ti), Tannoys (like the Eclipse), or KEFs (I have a pair of C30s in my collection which I love). With the newer kit I'd suggest Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s which are a bargain now and a better speaker than the MS902i.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:

What are your concerns about my recommending older used kit? Sound quality? .

I like the idea of having good SQ for a little money. We are going to buy a house within next few months, so money are more important at the moment than ever.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:

The JVC kit is incredibly under-rated and you can find some bargains. The A-S5 is an excellent amplifier and often comes up on Ebay, or if you fancy something very different the JR-S301 receiver I'm currently playing with sounds stunning.

dim_span's Pioneer A400 suggestion is also spot-on. Some of the earlier Pioneer amps are well worth exploring - the SA-508 is a brilliant little gem with a very lively sound.

In terms of modern amps, the NADs are very hard to beat. A used C320BEE or C325BEE would make an excellent buy.

Speaker-wise, with the older kit I'd be looking at late 80s Mordaunt-Shorts (like my MS25Ti), Tannoys (like the Eclipse), or KEFs (I have a pair of C30s in my collection which I love). With the newer kit I'd suggest Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s which are a bargain now and a better speaker than the MS902i.

I am trying to be open minded for a used kit. My problem is: which model is worth to go for and which isn't? Thank you all for the recommendations with the models which I should focus on.

I used to have a Technics SU700mk2 paired with Avance Omega 509 speakers. I read many bad reviews about Technics amps and my actually didn't sound too good. I don't want to repeat my mistakes. I rely on your opinions.

A

Anonymous

Here I am again,

I have bought B&W 601 today for 101 pounds. After intensive search on ebay, gumtree I realised that buying any floorstanders will put me off 30-50 pounds for the shipping only. 601's are ready to pick up locally tomorrow.

From now, I will hunt for amp and cd. At the moment it'll be pluged to dvd player and my home cinema amp - Yamaha 365. I am tempted to wait for the marantz pm6002/cd6002 combo, as it could meet my budget. I wonder what is the difference between cd6002 and 67 mk2 KI or 67SE?

A

Anonymous

That's what I've bought:

Marantz PM 66 SE - 72 delivered

Marantz CD 7300 - 115 delivered

B&W DM601 - 101

IXOS XHA305 - 14

QED Original 10meters - 27

Total: 329 pounds

This is my starting point. Thank you all for the advice. Any comments welcome.

A

Anonymous

nodnarb4444:all within budget,nice

Heard here: "set the budget and stick to it" - it works :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts