How to put together a 2.1 powerful sound system.

Marshmallow

Sep 9, 2020
Visit site
Hi, New to this and excuse my lack of knowledge. I am learning. Right, I have 2 Max 600w speakers and an SPL 2 way Amp. I would like to add a sub. Will I need a new Amp to produce a 2.1 system? I want a wired sub. Any suggestions for what Amp I will need to power my 2 existing speakers and to add a wired/powered sub? I have a budget of £400. is this enough? It is for home use only. Many thanks In advance.

Your best bet is to get an integrated amplifier with a dedicated subwoofer out connection like the Marantz PM6007 however these are £499.
Failing that most Rotel Integrated Amplifiers provide both line-level and speaker-level outputs that can be used to connect a powered subwoofer to your system. To connect a powered subwoofer via line level (RCA), the Left and Right PRE OUT connections can be used from the Rotel unit to the line level input on the subwoofer.

MrBee

Sep 19, 2020
Visit site
Why oh why do people think watts for sound? Truly 55 to 60 watts is all anyone needs for a home sound system. I made a Rapberry HiFi Dac cost about £100 all told that picked up Studio quality transmissions for nothing, through a set of Arcam Two speakers with an Arcam 8 amp and the sound was like a Jazz group was playing right here in my living room with no hiss! Total cost £300 and loud! I had more volume to give it but beings as the group was here in the living room I think that was enough!

Clarity not volume....

TheJoker

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Hi, New to this and excuse my lack of knowledge. I am learning. Right, I have 2 Max 600w speakers and an SPL 2 way Amp. I would like to add a sub. Will I need a new Amp to produce a 2.1 system? I want a wired sub. Any suggestions for what Amp I will need to power my 2 existing speakers and to add a wired/powered sub? I have a budget of £400. is this enough? It is for home use only. Many thanks In advance.

You won't need to change amp's, just use a high level subwoofer connection.

SpursGator

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Clarity and volume works for the better music Mr Bee, you Raspberry Pi cheapskate.
(It takes one to know one - I use a RPi too 😉).

Haha me too. Although mine is in a case with a loud fan so if I get serious about it, that would have to change. But there are all kinds of cool audio tricks you can pull with a RPi, from streaming to DACs and more. These components you read about in WHF that have little screens - streamers et al - are basically all running a small version of Linux on the inside - just like your RPi. So why not.

I know a group for anoraks like us, meets weekly in a church basement. Very discreet. There's tea there (it's free, you cheapskate).

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts