How to keep cool in the hot weather

With the extreme temperatures forecast over the next 3 days (Sunday-Tuesday), I've come up with some cunning plans (Blackadder).

Any east or south facing rooms, pull the curtains across, close the windows and open the others that don't get direct sunlight.

Sleep at night with a hot water bottle, filled with cold water.

Fling a clean tee-shirt in the freezer for 30-60 mins.

Keep hydrated. Avoid alcohol though.

Friesiansam

We've had this before, it's only 3 days FFS. It's getting blown out of all proportion. Many of us on here were around for the summer of '76 and subsequent hot summers after this. Just be sensible (y)
Most people in this country simply aren't used to such high temperatures and, that's where the problem lies. 3 days once a year is not enough to get used to coping with it.

I have a friend in Romania who I worked with, when she was over here for a few years after they joined the EU. She lives in Bucharest where it is always hot in the summer and, she finds it funny that I hate the heat when she is so used to it.

BTW, I was at school in '76, it was NOT pleasant in the classrooms!

Last edited:

Gray

For my sin's I'm a (BBC) news junkie.
Certainly given them something to talk about (other than the leadership election).
The advice has lasted longer than the hot spell is predicted to.

I was in my second job in 1976, got memories of that and music on my Fidelity music centre, but, strangely, none of the summer heat.
Brother was working for a frozen food retailer at the time, tells me there was a bit of a contrast between his -18 degree storeroom and outside 😵‍💫

Reactions: WayneKerr

Gray

You need a shroud to force all the air shifted by the blue fan, directly over the blades of the other fan.
The little fan looks to be going as fast as the biggun (though it obviously isn't).
If it had some permanent magnets it would be a different (still inefficient) story....

What we need are some decent solar panels - got one on my chimney - used to trickle charge the car battery, but stopped working yonks ago 🤔.....so much for green energy.

We've had this before, it's only 3 days FFS. It's getting blown out of all proportion. Many of us on here were around for the summer of '76 and subsequent hot summers after this. Just be sensible (y)
I remember the summer of 76. It was a long hot summer, stand pipes and all the jazz. But I can't ever remember it getting close to high 30s. This extreme temperature is going to be short-lived but you can't take chances -- we're not teenagers anymore. Even though I'm quite fit for my age, I certainly won't be taking it for granted.

WayneKerr

I remember the summer of 76. It was a long hot summer, stand pipes and all the jazz. But I can't ever remember it getting close to high 30s. This extreme temperature is going to be short-lived but you can't take chances -- we're not teenagers anymore. Even though I'm quite fit for my age, I certainly won't be taking it for granted.
Wasn't having a pop at you PP, I agree with what you say; it's the media who are being sensationalist. It's not going to be nice but we've only got to endure it for a few days... some people pay a lot of cash to endure this for longer on holiday :) My thoughts go to those who are working outside in these temps, I'm in a tin-box warehouse where air conditioning is reserved for office staff only.

Homes in the UK are designed to retain heat, and that's where the challenge is. We're fully expecting a rise in admissions of elderly and vulnerable people in hospitals with dehydration and heat stroke. Some of the hospitals have large glass windows and patients next to the window are at risk as well.

abacus

Homes in the UK are designed to retain heat, and that's where the challenge is. We're fully expecting a rise in admissions of elderly and vulnerable people in hospitals with dehydration and heat stroke. Some of the hospitals have large glass windows and patients next to the window are at risk as well.

Homes built after around the 70s and later yes, but most homes are pre 70s so leak heat like a sieve, hence the energy bills are so high.

Bill

Wasn't having a pop at you PP, I agree with what you say; it's the media who are being sensationalist. It's not going to be nice but we've only got to endure it for a few days... some people pay a lot of cash to endure this for longer on holiday :) My thoughts go to those who are working outside in these temps, I'm in a tin-box warehouse where air conditioning is reserved for office staff only.
I know you weren't having a pop.

The outside workers is something that should be changed. In the Med quite often they will take a break during the height of the heat and resume working evenings and mornings.

If they close schools during a heatwave....

Reactions: WayneKerr

idc

I think, for a change, the media are not being sensationalist and it is a section of the public who are being overly dismissing of what, for them is going to be fine, but for many, it will not. I now work in care, with vulnerable people, who will seriously struggle and are at risk of death. France in 2003;

"France's health ministry today said that there were an estimated 11,435 more deaths during the first two weeks of August than the same period in recent years."

Since then;

"Heat waves: How France has cut death toll 90% since 2003"

We risk making the same mistakes with the present attitude of remember 1976 and it will be fine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts