How to improve my set-up for listening to two channel CD music

Loscozzese

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I have a Yamaha RX-V3900 which I use about 50% of the time for listening to music (two channel) and 50% for films/TV. I am looking to improve the quality of the two channel music. My music source is CDs through a NAD C545BEE CDP with the Yamaha Amp in pure direct mode and out to my floorstanders B&W 683s.

Reviewing the forums my best option for a jump in music quality appears to be to purchase a HIFI amp and connect the CDP and B&W 683s directly to it. I then connect the Yamaha Amp to the HIFI Amp through the pre-out connections to use when in 5.1 set up.

1. Is this my best option to obtain a jump in music quality?

2. If so, how much should I be looking to spend on a HIFI amp considering my current set-up?

3. Which HIFI amps would you recommend?

T

the record spot

I ditched stereo amps as they were too much of a limiting factor for me. That and the fact that the audio quality of AV amps has stepped up to the plate. With that in mind, I'd suggest you bi-amp your front speakers if you have spare amps in your AV amp left over.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
I'm using the pre-outs of my AV amp into my stereo amp and this allows me to use the same speakers for both stereo duties and the L & R for my 7.1 AV set up.

The great thing is that the AV amp doesn't even need to be switched on when I'm listening to stereo music.
IMHO a decent stereo amp will sound better than a much more expensive AV amp. (Just my opinion - not fact).

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
You're perfectly welcome to go this route, but before you part with the cash, it might be worth just trying to play with your current set-up. On my system I find that the musical enjoyment is vastly improved using the Extended Stereo setting which feeds the stereo signal through all available speakers, although I do alter the fader in favour of the front speakers about half way. Crucially, this isn't Dolby ProLogic.

i was genuinely surprised to hear results that were considerably better than Pure Direct, which I had previously assumed would be the best. I don't know what the equivalent setting would be on your Yammy amp.

The reason I find this interesting is that I accept that playing a stereo signal through two speakers powered by an AV receiver may not be quite so 'hi-fi' as a two channel amp through two speakers, but if you have a multi-channel set-up, why not play to its strengths and do something that a stereo amp is not capable of.

The 3D effect I get with my sound playing CD's is just wonderful, and I couldn't achieve this with a stereo amp.

TRENDING THREADS