Question How to get into audio

Neonyted

Oct 27, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone

As the title suggests I want to get into audio, the current motivation is creating a good audio system in an apartment. I have almost no experience with audio, and so I do not know where to start. I would love to learn about what to look for, what I need, where to look for information, even where to buy. As I am a starter, I do not want to spend 10.000 euro, that would be a waste.

For creating the audio system in the apartment, I would like to be able to stream my audio from my phone, television, PlayStation, etc to the system.

All the help is welcome to start my journey in this wonderful world!

Neon

Do you want it to have a traditional pair of stereo speakers , or would you prefer a one box system like a Naim Mu-so?

Streaming from a phone is pretty easy with Bluetooth, though that’s not ideal for quality. TVs may need an optical connection.

If you’re in the UK, I suggest have a look at John Lewis and Richer Sounds websites to get a few examples you can identify for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neonyted

DCarmi

Sounds like an AV (Home Cinema) amp is probably your starting point. Sony and Denon etc do some decent ones. They'll do streaming from phones and services and all your other AV stuff, via HDMI.

You ought to read reviews from here and other such sites to get a feel for what is available. Set a budget for your whole system (amp, speakers etc) and stick as closely as you can to it. It is easy to get persuaded to spend just a little bit more than you can comfortably afford. If possible find an outlet with models you are interested in, so you can see and if possible hear them.

It worth watching out for deals over the coming weeks and months.

rainsoothe

Hi. It will be very helpful if you specify your budget, the size of the room and perhaps what music you listen to. Then, we'll make some suggestions, after which you can make a shortlist and try to audition for yourself and let your ears decide.

Neonyted

Oct 27, 2020
Visit site
Hi. It will be very helpful if you specify your budget, the size of the room and perhaps what music you listen to. Then, we'll make some suggestions, after which you can make a shortlist and try to audition for yourself and let your ears decide.
Thanks for the replies
Well the music wil be from classical to rock, from jazz to hardstyle so all over the place. I was thinking around 1500 euro's as budget and the room is maybe 30 m²...

Neonyted

Oct 27, 2020
Visit site
Sounds like an AV (Home Cinema) amp is probably your starting point. Sony and Denon etc do some decent ones. They'll do streaming from phones and services and all your other AV stuff, via HDMI.

You ought to read reviews from here and other such sites to get a feel for what is available. Set a budget for your whole system (amp, speakers etc) and stick as closely as you can to it. It is easy to get persuaded to spend just a little bit more than you can comfortably afford. If possible find an outlet with models you are interested in, so you can see and if possible hear them.

It worth watching out for deals over the coming weeks and months.

So what is important in an AV amp? What do I need to look for?
Thanks for the help

Neonyted

Oct 27, 2020
Visit site
Do you want it to have a traditional pair of stereo speakers , or would you prefer a one box system like a Naim Mu-so?

Streaming from a phone is pretty easy with Bluetooth, though that’s not ideal for quality. TVs may need an optical connection.

If you’re in the UK, I suggest have a look at John Lewis and Richer Sounds websites to get a few examples you can identify for us.

Well I was thinking stereo, but if I want and tv, and laptop, and phone how do I manage that?
Thanks a lot for your help

Well I was thinking stereo, but if I want and tv, and laptop, and phone how do I manage that?
Thanks a lot for your help
Well, perhaps the KEF mentioned above would suit, though it’s rather more than €1500, or the more affordable LSX? I think it has enough connect-ability but you should check with a dealer against your exact model of TV and phone, etc.

DCarmi

Sounds like you are after surround sound. In which case you want an AV amp/receiver. These have both HDMI and RCA (phono) inputs and also, also optical. Should cover your needs audio and visual needs.

There are some decent entry level ones, like the Sony STR-DN1080 or Denon AVR-X2700H both reviewed on this site. Either should do everything you need. I don't think the Denon has Chromecast but the dongles are pretty cheap to buy, if you need one. You could look at the Denon AVC-X3700H but that may be stretching you budget.

After that you need to look at a speaker package. Again, I suggest you start looking at the recommended packages on this site and other. Speakers can be a bit subjective, as there may be physical limitations. i.e. Floor standing, stand mounted or wall mounted.

Connecting your equipment will be straightforward. TV and PlayStation will plug in via HDMI cables. You'll be able to connect your phone wirelessly and you'll also be able to run music streaming services from the AV receiver.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts