How to connect speaker cable for Marantz M-CR603 and Kef Q300

jonvdw

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
First of all I want to make it clear that I'm a total newbie when it comes to all things Hifi. I have always bought 150€ mini or microsystems, but yesterday I ordered the Marantz M-CR603 with two Kef Q300 speakers. I'm assuming that the speakers will not include speaker cable.

So my first question is what cable to order (I was thinking about the Chord Carnival Silverscreen).

Secondly, I would like to know how to best connect the speakers to the system. I've noticed that there are different ways to terminate the cable (banana plugs, spade plugs, ...), so I was wondering what the best way is, and what ways are compatible with the Kef and Marantz? On Amazon.co.uk, they are selling the cable terminated with banana plugs, so I guess that's the easiest way to go?

Finally, I've read a bit about biwiring and bi-amping. Are the Marantz and Kef compatible with biwiring and bi-amping? I'm not really that interested in biwiring, since I've read that the impact isn't that big, but I would very much like to know if bi-amping is a possibility.

Thanks for helping me out.

wongo

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi

I have a similar set up in that I have the Marantz MCR603 but with KEF Q500s. In terms of cable I went for QED Silver Anniversary XT and overall I'm very happy with the sound. Chord cable is very popular and compared a lot with QED and also in terms of value and quality Van Damme is highly thought of too. The conventional wisdom is to spend around 10% of overall budget on cabling.

As for terminating with banana plugs or spades your set up will accommodate both but as to which is better perhaps someone else can advise. Can't see it mattering myself

If you do go the bi amp route would be interested to hear what the results are as I'm considering this too.

Good luck

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
wongo said:
As for terminating with banana plugs or spades your set up will accommodate both but as to which is better perhaps someone else can advise. Can't see it mattering myself

If you do go the bi amp route would be interested to hear what the results are as I'm considering this too.

Good luck

Why are you answering him 3 years after he posted?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts