How to Connect Receiver to iMac 27

7kubbe

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
Hi to everyone, I would like to ask a question that Can we connect Denon AVR X-2000 receiver to iMac 27 inch. Actually I have a small hi-fi system that includes Denon AVR X2000, two Dali Zensor 1 and Dali Zensor Vocal and a SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer. And I want to connect my 27 İmac to this system. Is it possible or not. Thanks in advance.

iMark

The AVR X2000 supports Airplay. If you set this up on the receiver in your network you will be able to stream music from your iMac to the Denon by simply choosing the receiver as your output on the iMac. In iTunes you can even choose both the internal speakers and the receiver at the same time.

This from the manual:

1 Install iTunes 10, or later, on a Mac or Windows PC that is connected to the same network as this unit.

2 Turn this unit ON.
Set “IP Control” (vpage 161) to “Always On” for this unit.

NOTE

• When “IP Control” is set to “Always On”, the unit consumes more standby power.

3 Launch iTunes and click the AirPlay icon ' displayed the window and select this unit from the list.

4 Choose a song and click play in iTunes. The music will stream to this unit.

7kubbe

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
iMark said:
The AVR X2000 supports Airplay. If you set this up on the receiver in your network you will be able to stream music from your iMac to the Denon by simply choosing the receiver as your output on the iMac. In iTunes you can even choose both the internal speakers and the receiver at the same time.

This from the manual:

1 Install iTunes 10, or later, on a Mac or Windows PC that is connected to the same network as this unit.

2 Turn this unit ON.Set “IP Control” (vpage 161) to “Always On” for this unit.

NOTE

• When “IP Control” is set to “Always On”, the unit consumes more standby power.

3 Launch iTunes and click the AirPlay icon ' displayed the window and select this unit from the list.

4 Choose a song and click play in iTunes. The music will stream to this unit.
thank you for the answer I can achieve that and I can listen music on my receiver as you explained above can I use the iMac for also movie watching with my hifi system.

iMark

You could try to choose the Denon receiver as your speaker output on the iMac. If you hold the alt/option key and then click on the speaker symbol in the top bar you will see the different output options, including the Denon.

However, there will most likely be a two second lag between picture and sound. That's how the Airplay protocol works. The lag is very annoying so you could try something else, like running a simple analogue cable from the headphone output on the iMac (minijack) to a line input (red/white RCA) on the Denon. That will surely work but is not very convenient. There is a software option though that will take into account the lag between picture and sound in order to watch video with wireless audio streaming. You could check out software called Airfoil.

https://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

Paul.

The Thunderbolt ports should work with HDMI Audio. I bought a three meter mini display to HDMI cable but you can also use adapters like these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/252503281727?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=39159866351&rlsatarget=aud-160025029746%3Apla-268911520218&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=9045627&device=c&campaignid=698622927&crdt=0

Thunderbolt is essentialy a mini display port with extra gubbins for non video data transfer. Its backwards compatible with HDMI and DVI.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
iMark said:
However, there will most likely be a two second lag between picture and sound. That's how the Airplay protocol works. The lag is very annoying so you could try something else, like running a simple analogue cable from the headphone output on the iMac (minijack) to a line input (red/white RCA) on the Denon.

I thought this, but it turns out the most recent versions of OSX know how to compensate and will automatically delay the video to keep it in sync with the Airplay audio. Tried it myself.

iMark

I stand corrected by both Paul and the Major.

1. I'd forgotten about the possibility of using a Mini-displayport to HDMI cable from the iMac to the receiver. Probably because we have a stereo receiver without an HDMI input.

2. Same goes for the Major's comment. My experience with this is a bit dated, basically from days where Airfoil was needed.

I do have another recommendation I didn't think of before. We have video on a Mac Mini in my study. I have set up a Serviio on it. This means that our Sony TV can play video (and photos and audio) that is stored on the Mac in another room. It also works on our Sony Bluray players. http://serviio.org However this only works for video files and not for discs.

7kubbe

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
Paul. said:
The Thunderbolt ports should work with HDMI Audio. I bought a three meter mini display to HDMI cable but you can also use adapters like these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/252503281727?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=39...

Thunderbolt is essentialy a mini display port with extra gubbins for non video data transfer. Its backwards compatible with HDMI and DVI.
I understood that mini display port to cdmi convertors work for only audio. I actually want to use the iMac as a screen when I watch movies with my hifi system in addition to listening music. Syncroyzing audio and video with air play is difficult as you say. Is there any other solution that can I use my iMac as a screen with my hifi system. Thanks for your share...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts