How to calibrate Philips 42PFL9664?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Partly based on the review of What HiFi I bought the Philips 42PFL9664. A great tv but it is described as difficult to calibrate which I found to be true. With the help of material like THX optimizer and blue glasses I calibrated contrast, brightness and colour. The picture now looks better. But how do I find the right settings for the white balance (red, green, blue levels and black level offset?) For example; I now have a greenish tint in the darker grey parts which I find hard to get rid of. How do I calibrate this to the max as an amateur?

Settings appear to be different for each connection. So it's possible to callibrate the settings for the HDD-recorder apart from my digital TV settop box and my laptop. But only with the hdd-recorder I can play calibration material (THX DVD). Should I calibrate using the DVD and then copy these settings to the other ports? I could then calibrate my laptop (macbook) to these settings with the built in calibration tool of OSX right?

Pittodriered

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Setting the white balance (grey scale) correctly cannot be done by eye. To do this you'll either need to get the set calibrated by an ISF engineer or ,as i do, by using a colourmeter, some free software that is available on the web and a DVE HD Basics Blu-Ray. The colourmeter i use is a Display one Lt and cost approx £100. The advantage of having your own meter is you can set up numerous screens. I've done approx 10 sets now, 3 of my own and the other belonging to family and friends. It takes approx 30-60 mins to go through the procedure.

If you dont want to go down this route I would recommend using the Movie or Cinema default settings in your picture menu. I have always found these to be the closest to the standard colour temperature of 6500K.

Here's link to the software and procedure. as the author says you dont really need to know what you are doing just follow the instructions.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

A

Anonymous

You can try using settings posted on this Danish site. Looks like the guy was doing quite a serious job and there is a chance that his settings will work for you.

http://www.flatpanels.dk/test.php?subaction=showfull&id=1262006577

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts