how to bi amp need help

musical0111

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
how do i bi amp i have musical fidelity a3 integrated amp it has pre out, can i connect the pre out to
a pair musical fidelity xa 50 mono amps and connect direct to hf tweeter input of speakers,
can the tweeters accept this full signal without being damaged,the a3 drives the bass input of the speakers.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, you can connect the pre-outs from your integrated to your monoblocks. There are a number of ways to configure it.

1. Use your integrated purely as a pre-amp. Nothing connected to its speaker outputs, speakers driven solely by the monoblocks. Make sure the speakers HF & LF terminals have the links connected if you're not using bi-wire cable.

2. connect your integrated to the tweeters and connect the monoblocks to the mids on your speakers. Only thing you have to ensure is that the amps are gain matched (so when you turn up the volume control, the integrated and the monoblocks volume levels turn up the same amount. If not you could find the monoblocks levels will increase more than your integrated.)

3. As above, but connecting the tweeters to the monoblocks and the integrated to the woofers (as you're proposing). Tends not to be the normal way of doing things as bass needs more power to control it than treble, but you may well find it actually sounds better so can't hurt to try as it takes all of 5 minutes to swap speaker cable over at the speaker end.

You won't harm the speakers as they will have an internal crossover to filter out the unwanted frequencies for each driver.

musical0111

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Big Chris said:
Yeah, you can connect the pre-outs from your integrated to your monoblocks. There are a number of ways to configure it.

1. Use your integrated purely as a pre-amp. Nothing connected to its speaker outputs, speakers driven solely by the monoblocks. Make sure the speakers HF & LF terminals have the links connected if you're not using bi-wire cable.

2. connect your integrated to the tweeters and connect the monoblocks to the mids on your speakers. Only thing you have to ensure is that the amps are gain matched (so when you turn up the volume control, the integrated and the monoblocks volume levels turn up the same amount. If not you could find the monoblocks levels will increase more than your integrated.)

3. As above, but connecting the tweeters to the monoblocks and the integrated to the woofers (as you're proposing). Tends not to be the normal way of doing things as bass needs more power to control it than treble, but you may well find it actually sounds better so can't hurt to try as it takes all of 5 minutes to swap speaker cable over at the speaker end.

You won't harm the speakers as they will have an internal crossover to filter out the unwanted frequencies for each driver.

[/quote thanks big chris my reason for going your answer 3 route, was that the a3 integrated has more power to drive the midbass
units, i was just not sure if the tweeters could handlle the full signal from the pre outs driven by the xa 50 monos connected to hf tweeter inputs of my quad 11l speakers,,so the tweeters have internal crossovers attached. thanx again for your help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts