How to add FM to 2 channel setup

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

Been trying to find a decent FM receiver with line level outputs to add to my 2 channel setup. But couldn't find any FM tuners being sold in any main stream sites so far. Most mini hifi's and all AVR's seem to be having this function. Is this the only forward, or are there any dedicated radio tuners still available in the market. Thanks

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Did see some old dilapidated units on sale on flea bay in India. So wanted to go new to the extent possible. Don't mind if it has extra functionality too, like a cd player or something. As don't think anyone is building a dedicated FM tuner anymore.

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Places like Richer Sounds have new fm + dab for around £200 seems cheap but to my mind a tuner is a tuner. No doubt I'm wrong though*biggrin*

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Doesn't the wxc-50 have internet radio and if playing through decent amplification it should be similar to fm, it is in my system on the higher resolution radio. Just use internet radio surely?

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
That really helped. Never thought of it before. Yeah the wxc-50 has internet radio. Just have to see if my local radio stations can be programmed into it. Will check it out, before I plunge for another box. Thanks :)

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
for pointing me to the richer sounds website. Found some good tuners there. But found something entirely different and interesting too...will start a new post here shortly after I've thought even through it. Thanks

Many excellent tuner models are being cast off for a few £s here in the UK, but not sure how easily they'd be shipped to India.

Internet stations, as far as I know, have to be made available in that format by the station. It's not so much tuning them in, unlike FM, as searching for them You don't need a tuner though, there are several internet sites you can use. " Radio garden" is good fun!

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Can't say about other manufacturers but the one thing that bugs me about my Yamaha is internet radio it's not like a tuner where you can easily find a certain station by knowing the frequency, you can search station by station like auto search on a car stereo or you have to log into a website find the station you want and then save it, it's a bit of a faf really.

insider9

As mentioned I'd try Yamaha WXC-50 Internet radio first. It's got a large selection of radios. And the best thing is you can programme your favourites into the presets on the remote. The little remote that comes with Yamaha is an excellent feature.

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
As mentioned I'd try Yamaha WXC-50 Internet radio first. It's got a large selection of radios. And the best thing is you can programme your favourites into the presets on the remote. The little remote that comes with Yamaha is an excellent feature.

Do you have to use the yradio.vtuner site or have they made it easier?

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:

insider9

grimharry said:
insider9 said:

I rarely listen to radio. It's all in app and I don't really know via which site the search works. There's many radios the only thing is I'd like a way to filter low quality.

Whenever I listened it was minimum 256 and 320kbps. Lower bit rates just sound wrong.

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I get what your saying mine is tuned to classic fm, wave and Sam but mainly it's for Spotify which it does admirably also good for non red book cds

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Music cast manual, internet radio is via vtuner. Have to see if my local FM stations are on it.

Worse case scenario, I was thinking of adding a Yamaha crxn470d. It can stream FM to the wxc-50 and into the amp.

My wife uses the hifi more than me. And she wants simplicity. Though I plan on ripping cd's and playing it from the Nas. She would never touch it with a barge pole. So iam thinking the crxn470d makes sense. I can hide the whole stereo setup in a cupboard. And just place the small crxn470d on a shelf in the dining. And my wife can play FM and CD from this into the WXC-50 and into the main stereo . Just thinking loud that's all :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts