How to add digital streaming to my existing analogue system

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 188516

Forum guidelines direct quote
Post empty threads, throwaway comments, or responses that contain no content

I just don't understand why you bother posting your irrelevant nonsense all over the place like some alley cat spraying it's scent everywhere.
If you have a solution, post it.

"+1" is a short version of "i agree 100% with what you say / have typed and have nothing further to add"...

D

Deleted member 188533

"+1" is a short version of "i agree 100% with what you say / have typed and have nothing further to add"...

Sure it is but 6 or 8 in a row? You deactivated your account only you still feel the need to reply to posts ( with +1? ) and then deactivate your account again? Not against any rules per say but it's bad form in my opinion. Come be a part of the community or don't. But don't do that.

Reactions: jjbomber
D

Deleted member 188516

Sure it is but 6 or 8 in a row? You deactivated your account only you still feel the need to reply to posts ( with +1? ) and then deactivate your account again? Not against any rules per say but it's bad form in my opinion. Come be a part of the community or don't. But don't do that.

please see my direct message thanks.

RichD1

Aug 23, 2020
Visit site
Hi Guys, I've just found that I've got a Chromecast Audio when stripping down my hi-fi rack to clean it. Forgot all about it!!!!!

Can I use this to stream from my NAS to my Naim? I can also take the output from the CCA and put it thro' the DACmagic. Would this provide any benefit?

If so do I need another App to control the NAS or is the CCA app good enough.

jjbomber

Hi Guys, I've just found that I've got a Chromecast Audio when stripping down my hi-fi rack to clean it. Forgot all about it!!!!!

Can I use this to stream from my NAS to my Naim? I can also take the output from the CCA and put it thro' the DACmagic. Would this provide any benefit?

If so do I need another App to control the NAS or is the CCA app good enough.

Need an app like VLC on your phone or tablet to play the files from the NAS, and then send it to the Chromecast. Try it and see if you can get it to work.

RichD1

Aug 23, 2020
Visit site
But I already have the CCA and DACmagic, so isn’t it worth trying these before as you said ”If there is a way of spending money on more boxes and formats etc it just feels more , audiophile.“

RichD1

Aug 23, 2020
Visit site
Can you bear with me guys as this is the first time I have tried using digital streaming and getting to grips with NAS, DAC, streamers and all the software is quite a challenge.

Richard

Jimboo

Hi Richard , I am afraid (as has become plainly obvious) we all have our 'ways' and ideas.
You cannot stream Spotify through the DAC magic from your phone I take it ?
I personally don't rip and store because I use streaming as a tool to hear before I buy the physical media.
My kefls50w speakers solved a lot of issues for me.

The streamer will be another box (alas) .
Does your DAC magic allow Bluetooth from your I pad and can you pair your iPad with the stereo in the motorhome?

Jimboo

Hi Richard , I am afraid (as has become plainly obvious) we all have our 'ways' and ideas.
You cannot stream Spotify through the DAC magic from your phone I take it ?
I personally don't rip and store because I use streaming as a tool to hear before I buy the physical media.
My kefls50w speakers solved a lot of issues for me.

The streamer will be another box (alas) .
Does your DAC magic allow Bluetooth from your I pad and can you pair your iPad with the stereo in the motorhome?
Or, you could look at using the Roon management system.

RichD1

Aug 23, 2020
Visit site
Unfortunately the DACmagic is quite dumb relying on wire or optical connections. The motorhome I’m quite well sorted as you say pairing it with my dashboard head unit plus I take the Bose.

.I have also installed Plex on the NAS and my iPad. I’ve also ordered an optical Toslink to mini Toslink adapter for an existing Toslink cable so that I can plug into the optical o/p of the CCA Into the optical i/p of the DACmagic. When I’ve got that I should be able to test what the CCA can do and can it get access to the NAS.

Richard

Reactions: Gray

Jimboo

Time and hifi move on. The majority of the younger generation rely on phones as their access to media. The hifi firms are aware of this. Naturally there is still a place for physical media.We both know what sounds better ( c.d, lol).
I know that streaming and apps and lending libraries online are the future. I have a love/hate relationship with it. It does mean less cables and boxes and convenience. It does remove the joy of physical media actually in yer mitts.
The future is active speakers and streamers. Our audiophile ideals will never admit it but if Hi-Res works and access is universal it is hard to discredit as the obvious development.
As you have found out having to buy cables and owning cracking but gradually obsolete equipment is frustrating.
I hope in the future that systems like my kefls50w speakers will be developed and evolve into the simple all in one quality sound we search for.

Fatburger

Feb 7, 2021
Visit site
I can understand that first question Jimboo.
It does seem like an illogical thing to do.
Nobody is more anti-complication (and anti unnecessary spendout) than me. But I'm another one who's done it.
Never even owned a computer (still don't own a smartphone). Bought a laptop to FLAC my CD collection.
Still got a Marantz KI CDP, which sounds great. But must admit that my latest little £100 DAC makes files (streamed from dirt-cheap RPi) sound that bit better.

I'd never go for convenience at the expense of sound quality.....but it is quite nice to bung your next fancied track on the end of the current playlist by just touching the screen of an old Nexus 7 tablet.
These days you can have convenience and better than ever performance for 'no' money.

Having said all that, I like the look of the new NAD M33 - good touchscreen display - decent class D amp.
Trouble is it costs double what I consider to be too much :(.
For what it's worth I have the two year old NAD Masters amplifiers (2 channel and 5 for surround) and they sound great and run quite cool. Worth the money - well, hard to say, but they certainly work in my application. I did have Audio Research 150 monoblocks before the Tubbs fire in California which ate everything, and they certainly sound different, but I wouldn't say they're worse. Probably more accurate and revealing - that is, there's a bigger difference if you put a worse sounding source in - less forgiving would be another term. Running a Sony Blu-Ray or Qoboz over UPnP or VPI TNT with Kiseki Purple Heart into a Marantz AV8805 in and out to Magnepan 3.7i mains and Revel surrounds with JL audio sub. Kimber Kables (not the most expensive) if you care about cables.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts