how soon can I replay a record

rrm

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
When comparing equipment/systems, or making small adjustments, I often need to repay the same track within a few minutes. Easy enough to do with a CD but what about vinyl?

I have heard that the passage of the stylus deforms the vinyl, reversibly, and that one should not reply the track until the vinyl recovers. Question is how long should one wait to be sure that the record has recovered and to avoid damage ?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
rrm said:
When comparing equipment/systems, or making small adjustments, I often need to repay the same track within a few minutes. Easy enough to do with a CD but what about vinyl?

I have heard that the passage of the stylus deforms the vinyl, reversibly, and that one should not reply the track until the vinyl recovers. Question is how long should one wait to be sure that the record has recovered and to avoid damage ?

it does...?!?!?!?! :rofl:

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
But the laser also warms up the cd causing expansion, so you should allow the cd to cool off before replaying a track :roll:

Maybe treating the vinyl with some snake oil would help !

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Sorry rrm but you've received some duff information.

Not your fault, I have read such nonsense myself in the past (including in hi-fi magazines a long time ago).

If such 'deformation' were to occur then the next time the stylus passed - just a moment later - it should (according to this theory) damage the groove wall that has just been deformed on the previous rotation.

In reality the friction of the stylus doesn't generate anything like enough heat to do any damage.

It was a bit of a myth hyped up by a company marketing an expensive product called 'LAST Record Preservative' that was supposed to reduce friction in treated LP surfaces.

TRENDING THREADS