How securely should headphones stay on your head?? (New B&W P5 owner)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've just purchased the Bowers & Wilkins P5 headphones. I got them from the Apple online store without trying them before buying. I was very reluctant to do this, but, as they're exclusive to the Apple Store, and because we have no physical Apple Stores here in Ireland, I had little choice.

So far, I think they sound great, look great and feel great. They're my first pair of over-the-head 'phones. They're comfortable while on, but I've noticed that if I lean my head forward or backwards, they're inclined to slip, or even fall off. Is this normal for this type of headphone? I expected them to be a little more secure on my head - but maybe I'm crazy. I (think) I have a reasonably normally sized and shaped head.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andy. I wonder if it could be anything to do with the fact that I have long(-ish) hair that lies down fairly flat. Could short hair possibly keep the headband in place better?

Maybe I'll try bending the headband inwards a bit so that the earpads grip a bit more tightly. That's a joke! I'd imagine that would be a pretty bad idea.

DJEPSON

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
jphealy - I am waiting on a pair from my local hi-fi shop, i also haven't had a chance to listen to them yet, what are you first impressions sound wise of them ?

Thanks

Damian

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Well jphealy, if your hair covers your ears, that might be why they slip a bit.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Don't worry - I get my hair out of the way of my ears to put them on alright!

DJEPSON - Sound wise they're really nice. I'm far from an audiophile though, and I'm coming from Apples own thrown-in buds, so they're going to sound good I guess! I've barely had the chance to listen much at all yet though I'm afraid. Certainly not disappointed with sound at this early stage.

DJEPSON

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I have used in-ear headphones but never feel comfortable with them, so Ii thought I would give the P5's a try and if they are upto the same standard as the PV1 sub that I have from B&W they cant go wrong

A

Anonymous

I'm the same - I've used in ear canal 'phones but was never comfortable with them, so always just reverted back to the standard earbuds, which were comfortable, but sounded rubbish. I'm really happy with how the P5s sound, but like I said, I'm a little disappointed that they're not that bit more secure on my head. I need more time with them anyway though.

A

Anonymous

fast eddie:Can you use your hair to tie them on?
emotion-5.gif

There's an idea!

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
jphealy: Could short hair possibly keep the headband in place better?

You might try a bit of (hugely fashionable) Male Pattern Baldness combined with a very short cut of what remains. My hair acts like Velcro when I put headphones on.

A

Anonymous

Simon Lucas:
jphealy: Could short hair possibly keep the headband in place better?

You might try a bit of (hugely fashionable) Male Pattern Baldness combined with a very short cut of what remains. My hair acts like Velcro when I put headphones on.

That might work! Could be a slightly drastic change though. I might just opt to keep my head relatively upright for now.

Maybe my head's just a bit narrower than average and the earpads just don't grip as tightly as for others. Anybody else in the What HiFi office find them slipping at all?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts