Question How REC Out from Yamaha RN803D works?

enthusiast_cityzen

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Hello,

I have the below back connections on the Yamaha RN 803D. I wanted to record the sound from an old tape (from 1982) to computer. The DEC does not have amplifier and I was thinking to connected to Yamaha receiver.
I connected the DEC to Line 2 IN and from Line 2 REC I used an RCA to stereo jack to connect the Yamaha to computer Line IN. Then, I selected from the remote control (on Yamaha) the Line 2, so I could hear what I suppose to record.
The problem was that I did not have output sound on the stereo jack. I know that this is the old way of use the "tape in / out" of amplifiers in order to record the sound.

After consulting manual I found this specification:

In order to prevent the audio signal from looping when an audio recording device is connected, the audio signal is not output from the LINE 2 (OUT) jacks when LINE 2 is selected. Similarly, the audio signal is not output from the LINE 3 (OUT) jacks when LINE 3 is selected.

Doesn't this affirmation contradicts the below schematic, logic of useing Tape in/out, recording method? About what loop are they talking about?

After that I made a test: I selected as source on Yamaha the USB and then REC Out was connected to a NAD amplifier. I had sound as well on yamaha speaker and the same sound, at the same time, on the NAD amplifier. The volume knob on yamaha it wasn't influencing the REC / NAD volume, but only the volume on speakers connected to the yamaha.
Yamaha RN803D does not have a Pre Out connectors. Is it ok to use the Rec Out to connect it to another amplifier?

Thank you for your time!

Attachments

• Screenshot_3.jpg
    Screenshot_3.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 8

Gray

Hello,

I have the below back connections on the Yamaha RN 803D. I wanted to record the sound from an old tape (from 1982) to computer. The DEC does not have amplifier and I was thinking to connected to Yamaha receiver.
I connected the DEC to Line 2 IN and from Line 2 REC I used an RCA to stereo jack to connect the Yamaha to computer Line IN. Then, I selected from the remote control (on Yamaha) the Line 2, so I could hear what I suppose to record.
The problem was that I did not have output sound on the stereo jack. I know that this is the old way of use the "tape in / out" of amplifiers in order to record the sound.

After consulting manual I found this specification:

In order to prevent the audio signal from looping when an audio recording device is connected, the audio signal is not output from the LINE 2 (OUT) jacks when LINE 2 is selected. Similarly, the audio signal is not output from the LINE 3 (OUT) jacks when LINE 3 is selected.

Doesn't this affirmation contradicts the below schematic, logic of useing Tape in/out, recording method? About what loop are they talking about?

After that I made a test: I selected as source on Yamaha the USB and then REC Out was connected to a NAD amplifier. I had sound as well on yamaha speaker and the same sound, at the same time, on the NAD amplifier. The volume knob on yamaha it wasn't influencing the REC / NAD volume, but only the volume on speakers connected to the yamaha.
Yamaha RN803D does not have a Pre Out connectors. Is it ok to use the Rec Out to connect it to another amplifier?

Thank you for your time!
Not sure I fully understood all of your questions, but here's a few answers:

It is normal for tape loops to work in the way Yamaha have described.
If you connect your source cassette deck to a tape input, you will get an output from a different tape output.

You could avoid using the Yamaha altogether by connecting the output of your cassette deck directly to the line input of your computer (monitor the sound on the computer).

It's OK to use a tape output to feed a line input of any pre or integrated amp with its own volume control.

enthusiast_cityzen

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Thank you Gray. I think I get it now!

I connected the DEC directly to the line in of the PC and everything went well! The quality of the recording was impressive, considering the age of the tape!

I also connected the Rec Out of the Yamaha to a NAD amplifier and it's working great!

Have a lovely afternoon!

Reactions: Gray and Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts