How on Earth do you change yourt avatar?

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I have had fun and games trying to change my avatar. I tried to change the one I originally uploaded but the same avatar kept reappearing straight after uploading the new one. After numerous attempts I deleted the old one and left my profile without an image for some days. I've just gone back and uploaded a new avatar but blow me if the old one appears immediately |( <- okay, perhaps not ear steamingly mad, but just slighgtly more that mildy irritating. Is there a technique I don't know about?

Thanks,

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
You need to delete the old one and then save before adding a new one. So you save twice. Once after old one has been deleted, and once again after the new one is added.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
First delete your old one then upload your new avatar,
(note) your old avatar will show but wait patiently for a few weeks and then as if by magic your new avatar will show.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Okay, thanks both. So apart from the order of deletion/saving and uploading, the real trick is having enough patience to wait for a few weeks for it to change. Wow! That's kind of funny more than it is annoying actually.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
SiUK said:
Okay, thanks both. So apart from the order of deletion/saving and uploading, the real trick is having enough patience to wait for a few weeks for it to change. Wow! That's kind of funny more than it is annoying actually.

Haymarket were still adverstising for a Digital Support Manager (amongst many other recent IT positions) as recently as 26th September. Even if he / she / they have all been employed yet, then it is doubtful that minor WHF? web forum glitches would have a top priority and be their first job. (I suspect there are far bigger 'hitters' in the Haymarket stable than WHF?*)

*'Autocar' outsells WHF? by about 7 issues to 1 and even 'Practical Caravan' magazine runs WHF? very close for circulation :)

John Duncan

Website traffic for WHF is an order of magnitude higher than PCV, just FYI. But yes it's very annoying. The simple explanation is that images are stored in an Amazon Content Delivery Network which expect images to be the same for a long time, so cache expiry takes ages. It's possible for ops people to expire images manually, but I suspect it's not top of their list so you just have to wait (or wait until somebody actually fixes the underlying problem. Hint: it's been there three years).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts