How old were you when you bought your first record player/turntable.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
First one you bought, or first one bought for you? I've had a record player since I was 4 years old in 1974, it was a second hand valve Defiant jobbie originally from co-op but my brother upgraded the TT in it to an SP25 mkIII because the one it came with was a bit poo. As for the first one *I* bought, I'd have to fast forward to 1985 when I purchased an akai Midi system from radio rentals on the never never for £3 odd a week.

I had used a record player when growing up as my parents owned an old all-in-one player that even played 78's - though I can't remember the make as it is so long ago. The first (and only) player I've bought is a Goodmans GSP 650 that is still going strong today. I was probably around 15/16 so would've been 1991/2.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
was an HMV bought for me for my ninth birthday, in '64. Loved that thing. The first I bought was something I put together, probably when I was 16, in '71. I bought an SP25 mk3, made my own plinth out of mahogany, bought some pre-made cabinets into which I put some 10" Goodmans speakers (twin axiom) and an Amstrad amp which had slide controls, very groovy back in the day *biggrin* I thought it sounded great, but was probably shite in reality.

Freddy58 said:
was an HMV bought for me for my ninth birthday, in '64. Loved that thing. The first I bought was something I put together, probably when I was 16, in '71. I bought an SP25 mk3, made my own plinth out of mahogany, bought some pre-made cabinets into which I put some 10" Goodmans speakers (twin axiom) and an Amstrad amp which had slide controls, very groovy back in the day *biggrin* I thought it sounded great, but was probably shite in reality.

What, the Amstrad? Surely not :) FWIW we would appear to be the same age...

Oh, and my first album purchase was 'Relics' by Pink Floyd bought from Woolworths if I recall correctly.

Tricky to answer easily. My dad purchased a cheap stereo record player from Freemans catalogue, and after about 6 months, and listening to a school friend's father's home made turntable I decide to build my own wooden cabinet and dismantled the stereo turntable and fitted it to my wooden box.

After months of saving my pocket money I purchased a second hand (fairly nasty) receiver. As this receiver, made by Minerva, had a MM phono stage I had to replace the old fashioned ceramic cartridge to magnetic but the head shell was too narrow to fit screws. (Don't try this at home, folks) So I stuck it in with plasticine.

This was circa 1976, so i was around 13.

The first proper turntable was Garrard B20 in 1978 (still have it in the loft - and it works)

plastic penguin said:
Tricky to answer easily. My dad purchased a cheap stereo record player from Freemans catalogue, and after about 6 months, and listening to a school friend's father's home made turntable I decide to build my own wooden cabinet and dismantled the stereo turntable and fitted it to my wooden box.

After months of saving my pocket money I purchased a second hand (fairly nasty) receiver. As this receiver, made by Minerva, had a MM phono stage I had to replace the old fashioned ceramic cartridge to magnetic but the head shell was too narrow to fit screws. (Don't try this at home, folks) So I stuck it in with plasticine.

This was circa 1976, so i was around 13.

The first proper turntable was Garrard B20 in 1978 (still have it in the loft - and it works)

We've moved on now PP, we'd use Blu Tack :-

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Started buying separates in 1988, and bought my first turntable, a Kenwood KD-35R, when I was 18 in 1990. After that it was...

2. Technics SL-BD22

3. Project Debut III Esprit (still got this one, ought to sell it really)

and now

4. Analogue Works TT1

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Some nice innovation from you guys. I should have also said my first real TT was a BSR Macdonald when I was 18 and I missed the question mark off my original post.
angry_smile.gif

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
mine was my sisters we shared it - it was all in-one out of Kays catologue around 1981

It had Rosewoood plinth surround matching speakers, I remember the tonearm a classic 's' shape shiny - god knows what the cartridge as the whole thing cost £99.99......... £99.99 yes exactly

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I was 12 when I saved my paperround money to buy a Panasonic all-in-one in 1982 which lasted until the end of my 1st year in college when I was 20 and had a summer job at John Lewis and also had some inheritance. Did my first few listening sessions and bought:

A) Rega Planar 2 which I still own, although it has been pimped by Inspire HiFi.

B) Rotel amp

C) Mission speakers (which my dad is now using with a Marantz CR610

D) Yamaha tape deck

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
9!

Locomotion by Kylie Minogue. There was something about the picture of her on the rear cover that drew me to it.

I think my second record may have been I only want to be with you by Samantha Fox.

Bit of a pattern there.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
MakkaPakka said:
9!

Locomotion by Kylie Minogue. There was something about the picture of her on the rear cover that drew me to it.

I think my second record may have been I only want to be with you by Samantha Fox.

Bit of a pattern there.

The question was what turntable not what record...

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
Freddy58 said:

Oh, and my first album purchase was 'Relics' by Pink Floyd bought from Woolworths if I recall correctly.

Most importantly, it went loud!
thumbs_up.gif

Freddy58 said:
Al ears said:
Freddy58 said:

Most importantly, it went loud!

That was very important in those days.

Isn't it strange that when our hearing was perfect we insisted on playing everything at full blast and now, when it is less than perfect, we cannot stand loud noises.... Funny old world!

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
Isn't it strange that when our hearing was perfect we insisted on playing everything at full blast and now, when it is less than perfect, we cannot stand loud noises.... Funny old world!

True that. Mind you, don't think I'd like a quiet gig! *clapping*

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
My first turntable was one passed on to me from my grandmother when I was 12. It was one of those systems with a (crappy) turntable, amp and cassette player, all in a wooden cabinet on legs. No idea of the make or model, but it was good at wrecking records!

When I was given it, the only record I had was a single with the theme to Black Beauty (someone had given it me as a present a few years earlier, I think). Soon after that, I bought This Is Not a Love Song by PiL, and have never looked back.

When I was 15 my parents split up and my mother bought a Dual CS 505-2 along with a Rotel RA-820BX and a pair of Wharfedale Diamonds, so I did my listening on that.

The first turntable I bought was when I was 17. It was part of an all-Toshiba separates system. Much better than the earlier one, although not as good as my mother's set-up, but it had the bonus that I could put it in my bedroom, and it was nice and loud too.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
A 'hand-me-down' Sugden Connoisseur BD2 from my older brother when I was about 14, so about 1977 if memory serves.

Not longer after that though, the first transmissions of Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy came out and I was terminally hooked on Radio (especially Radio 4) for the rest of my life. I was using - more hand-me-downs - a Teleton amp and tuner and some Goodmans RB 18s. (Everyone where I lived had Goodmans speakers back then because the factory was nearby and we all knew someone who worked there. Kenwood mixers were very popular too :) )

I used the BD2 (and subsequent turntables) until 2009 but radio has always been my primary source.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts