How old were you when you bought your first record player/turntable.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I was 19 in 1983 and bought a Technics SL-QD2 TT to go with my Technics amp, tuner and cassette deck, all purchased direct through a neighbour who worked in the local Panasonic factory.

I've still got the deck in my rack, it still works fine although I don't use it very often (I have replaced the needle). One day I might replace it but I'm in no hurry.

The tuner and cassette deck are still in the rack too but I don't use them much either, and the amp is in my roof with the original Wharfedale speakers (Mach 2's - rough as hell) and a Rotel CD player. One day my roof is going to cave in!

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
I was 17 or 18 and bought the classic Connoisseur BD1 turntable kit and Acos Lustre GST1 tone arm from Comet. I still have the tone arm if anyone wants it.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I was 18 when I cashed in some savings and bought a second hand Planar 3, and played through a Goodmans CD midi system!!!! I know!!!

when I was young, my Mum had a Sanyo music centre, and my first record I bought was the single Gambler by Madonnas, I reckon I would have been 9 or 10...

im annoyed I sold the Rega, and then went a few years with no TT... Now, I'd love to able to afford a better one, but the Project is pretty decent for 13 years old.

entrails

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
09b92900.jpg

I found this image online of the type of Philips upright record player I got for I think my 14th Birthday. Scary looking beast but actually didn't sound too bad and looked after my records from the time which have all survived pretty well.

matthewpiano

My first turntable was set up for me in my room by my Dad when I was 8, in 1986. It was a Pioneer PL12D II and I initially had it with an Amstrad IC2000 amplifier and Wharfedale Chevin speakers. I can still remember listening to Holst's The Planets and Dvorak's 9th Symphony on it and being very excited about having my own system.

The amplifier was soon upgraded to a Sansui AU2200 when Dad got a new Fisher, and I had some JVC 3-ways which were certainly better than the Chevins. I spent hours and hours listening to LPs on that PL12D II and the fond memories are the main reason why I bought one in nice condition last year. I've even tried using it in my system, but although it sounds very nice with an AT95e on, it doesn't match up to the Rega.

I've had several turntables in-between - Pro-ject, Michell, Technics, Thorens, Kenwood, Sansui, and Dual. The Michell was beautifully engineered, but my favourite was probably a Thorens TD150MkII AB, which I regret selling. The Rega RP3 I have now is excellent, particularly with the TT PSU, but what the future holds I'm not sure. Certainly vinyl will continue to be a major part of my listening.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I can't be sure of my age then but the first one was a Pioneer PL512, in my youthful enthusiasm it took another few months to save up for an amplifier so as I could actually hear it !!

I had use of a HMV stereogram ( Garrard deck ) that my parents had given to me as they had upgraded to a Ferguson 25 music centre but i still remember the joy of just playing records on my Pioneer, the damping of the arm going down and just buying more and more records.

Anyway a picture of the hmv if anyone is interested https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/247789210/sold-1960s-teak-cased-hmv-stereogram?ref=market

and I couldn't find a picture of the Ferguson.

Daz B

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
My first record player was a 4th birthday present from my parents. It was about the size of a LP and had a black plastic lid. It would of been 1975 and my parents bought me a Gary Glitter LP to play on it. A bit embrassing to admit that now with what's happened with him. The first turntable I bought was in 1987 and it was a Sansui pl10 I think, I also had a Sansui amp and tape deck. I also owned a Hitachi turntable which was part of a seperates system along with a Hitachi tape deck and amp. My latest turntable is a Rega P1 which I have had for seven years and still enjoying.

TRENDING THREADS