How often did you scan the forum before joining?

A

Anonymous

about 6 - 8 weeks.

tried to soak up as much info as possible before asking more silly Q's - didnt seem to work though
emotion-4.gif

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Everard:ID.:Standard internet/forum etiquette is to lurk a while, look at the topics that come up, keep an eye on personalities and reactions and generally learn the culture of the forum before making your first posts and joining the community. Hence the instruction to lurk moar

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lurk%20moar

In a word, nonsense.

Not a rule, but it might prevent some of those people who genuinely think they are coming up with something new when they quote/link certain articles/pages in cable debates (as opposed to straight out trolls). Of course, if people lurked more, they would deny you your chance to strike them down with your ascerbic wit.

Other unwritten etiquette includes doing a google search or two before asking a question, going to a company's website and getting product information from news releases and product manuals before asking a question, searching the forum to see if a similar question has been answered before and waiting more than a couple of hours before adding a comment to your own thread asking why nobody has replied yet.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
ID.:ascerbic wit

Sorry, but I find all this unwritten etiquette/nettiquette nonsense is usually made up by those who consider themselves 'seasoned users' to put off newcomers.

But I do wish people would learn how to spell words before making acerbic comments.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Fair enough, apologies for dragging this thread off topic. I suppose I might just class them as ways to make things easier for everyone/or pointers to help you get you initial message (maybe just below reading the house rules before posting, no need to do it but it might avoid some friction), but they don't work like that if they are hindering or discouraging people from joining in.

That's the spirit. Caught me out using a browser without spell check. I was obviously thinking of ascorbic acid and your vitamin C like wit (whatever that means).

D

Deleted member 2457

plastic penguin:

Me? off and on for about a month.

How about you guys and gals?

It took me ages, like from when it was first formed, i would check the news page every night but the forum bit i always thought it looked abit silly and pointless to be honest
emotion-1.gif
people always seem to be recommending the complete opposite to what i thought. So i kept clear but then i just bought another new home cinema system and i thought i would share my experiences. It then took me about a week to work out what forum name i would use though, i wanted something everyone would remember and something quite catchy. I also knew that i was unlikely to join another forum as Whathifi was my favourite mag so i made sure i choose a good one, i had been a serious reader since about 2002 and had been a subscriber for several years as well.

T

the record spot

Signed up as soon as I found it. Etiquette BEFORE joining a forum? Hello?!?

idc

I always wipe my feet and wash my hands before posting. Forums also allow time for a good rummage in the nostrils and no one hears you when you laugh at your own jokes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts